Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2004, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Which Tangs could I have in my Reef?

Hello,

I am in the planning stages of upgrading my tank to either a 65 gallon (36"L * 18"D * 24"H) or a 90 gallon (48"L * 18"D * 24"H). The 90 is really too big, but my wife will allow it if it makes a different on which fish we can have. This is a reef with clams, so reef friendly is necessary.

What Tangs or other larger fish could I have in the 65?

What Tangs or other larger fish could I have in the 90?

Thanks.

(also posted in Reef Fish forum.)
Old 12/20/2004, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

All tangs eventually get larger,so it depends on how long you plan on keeping the fish.Don't get a clown tang .I have one in a 180g. He swims the 6ft. length all day and all night[as long as there is light] pausing only occasionaly to pick at rocks or eat alge.
Old 12/20/2004, 02:28 PM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

65 i would say none....
if u wanted one in a 90, i would go for a smaller size in the tang line. like yellow
Old 12/20/2004, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

I think you could put a YT easily in a 65, they do not swim like many of the other tangs. Most tangs should work in a 90g. I wouldnt put more than 1 tang in the 65 and would be very cautious to put more then one in the 90g. If you have not kept tangs before I would suggest sticking to one at this time.
Old 12/20/2004, 02:52 PM
25 and over club

Tangs are swimmers. Give them lots of distance and holes in the rockwork. My sohol goes the length of my 5' tank all day + loves to dart through the rocks. Its funny to watch him surf in the tunze stream current.
Ammonia: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: .15 (doing another water change)
PO4: .01
Ca: 500
Alk: 9.0 dKH
Mg: aprox. 1200
pH: 8.0
ORP: 320 average
Old 12/20/2004, 02:56 PM
Moved On

I think I see your problem . . .

"but my wife will allow it if it "

Remove this barrier, buy a 150 gallon, and get two tangs.
Old 12/20/2004, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Piccru Ponios
I think I see your problem . . .

"but my wife will allow it if it "

Remove this barrier, buy a 150 gallon, and get two tangs.
Yeah, but the alloted area is just over 48" wide. Any larger of a tank and I would need to get rid of my couch, which isn't happening. Really, the 65 would fit perfect. But since I am going through the trouble of upgrading, I would like to get the 90. BTW, I am planning a large sump and refugium, somewhere around 200 gallon or more total with lots of live rock. So I don't plan to overstock the tank with live rock. Just enough to make it look good and provide places for the coral. I plan to have a good amount of open space, and open sand area on the floor.

What about a Brown Tang or a White-Cheek Tang. Marine Depot says they only need an 80 gallon tank. This will be my first tang, so I am only getting one. I already have two GSM maroons, a yellow blenny and a coral beauty angle. I don't know what I will put in this tank once done, but besides the possible tang, I may look into a foxface and a group of schooling fish, maybe chromis, anthias, or BJ cardinals. Who knows.
Old 12/20/2004, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
All tangs eventually get larger,so it depends on how long you plan on keeping the fish
I guess I never thought about keeping one until it gets big and trading it in to the LFS for a smaller version. I guess I could do that.
Old 12/20/2004, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

A Kole tang would be great in a 65
Old 12/20/2004, 03:24 PM
Moved On

I kept a salifin, purple, powder blue and a yellow in my 90 for yrs without any problems at all... The fish will only grow as large as the tank and the space he has.. I think these are the easiest of any fish to keep personally.
Old 12/20/2004, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

I have a Yellow and a hippo/regal Tang in my 105. They do not run the glass so they are doing fine. Have had both for about a year and they great. They actually play together. Both look the same size they did a year ago, so I think I can keep them for several years until I buy my new house with a built in 1200 gallon.
Old 12/20/2004, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Tangs are best kept in a tank that is 6' wide. That being said, you can get away with the 90 gallon tank. I plan on putting in a hippo and probably a purple or yellow.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 12/21/2004, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Anyone have any experiance with the white cheek / white faced tangs?? Could I get one of those in a 90?
Old 12/21/2004, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

gqjeff, WOW that's lots of tangs for a 90g. I got prosecuted last week at another site because i wanted to add 2 more for a total od 4 in my 135g. Did they fight???
Old 12/21/2004, 12:37 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Quote:
Originally posted by gqjeff
The fish will only grow as large as the tank and the space he has
I think you need to rephrase that I dont see my tangs getting as big as my 110gal tank
Old 12/21/2004, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rook
Anyone have any experiance with the white cheek / white faced tangs?? Could I get one of those in a 90?
Those are 2 different yet similar Tangs. The "White Face" is A. japonicus and "White Cheek" is A. nigricans. The A. japonicus is believed to the hardier of the two but since they are Acanthurus Tangs, they are just as susceptible to Ich as the Powder Blue IMO. I have a Powder Brown (A. japonicus) in QT right now recovering from Marine Ich and Black Ich. These fish need lots of room to swim. They only grow up to 9" but they are very active swimmers. My 100g is 5' long and I would not have gotten one if it was any less. Just my $0.02.

I personally think that a YT, Purple Tang, or Kole would do better in the 90g you described.
Old 12/21/2004, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

I've had a purple tang in my 120 for about 3 years. Only grown about 2 inches from a 1 1/2 inch juvy. They seem to grow slower. That would be my choice.
Old 12/21/2004, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

I have kind of gotten a consensus that the Zebrasoma or Ctenochaetus tangs would fair best in a 90 gallon. In that regards, how about a Desjardini Tang? I am basically looking for any tang, but something a little different than what you always see, i.e. the yellow, purple, kole or hippo tangs. Also, something not extra difficult as this will be my first tang (although I have had a successful reef for about 4 1/2 years or so.)
Old 12/21/2004, 01:15 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubbin1
I think you need to rephrase that I dont see my tangs getting as big as my 110gal tank
I do not think I need to rephrase it at all.. A fish will only grow as large as the space provided. What I am saying is that you could have a tang for 10 yrs in your tank and he will not get near as big as he would in the wild over the same amt of time. Unless you have a HUGE tank. I have been dealing with fish a LONG time.. No I never had any fights with my tangs.. If you are going to get a few tangs then get them at the same time so none of them have established any dominance. If you do decide to get other tangs after you already have one in the tank i have found buying a larger one takes care of any problems also.. I have a blue and yellow in my 240 and tomorrow I have a chevron, purple, dejardin red sea sailfin and power blue coming.. I do not expect any problems at all.. If there is a problem its my money anyways so I do not care what others would say. The funny thing is most of the people here will tell you what they have heard or read but have not experienced it first hand.. Just my 2 cents and it is my 2 cents so who cares...

Peace and Happy Holidays, Jeff
Old 12/21/2004, 01:20 PM
Moved On

Rook, in my eyes I have found a true dejardin sailfin to be about the best tang there is.. They are GREAT algea eaters and pretty peaceful. I would highly recommend that tang to anyone.. I am not sure why though people think tangs are hard to care for. All I ever do is clip some nori inside my tank and they are fine. The only tang I ever had any oblems with was a clown tang. He would eat well but just never seemed to put on any weight at all. I have also had a friend have the same thing happen with the clown. He has had him over 3 yrs but he always is so skinny.. To me they are the hardest of tangs that I have ever dealt with.. I will try one again though as I luv the color..

Peace
Old 12/21/2004, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

ive had a baby Pacific Blue Tang living in my 75 reef but in the future i know i will have to upgrade... anyway your best choices are probably a purple, yellow, or a kole
Old 12/21/2004, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

In a Tang situation, I would think a "Longer Tank" would be better than a "Larger Tank". Just keep thinking longer... not larger because the longer you think the larger your head will be. ?!??!??! =O]

Last edited by iSpeakWhale; 12/21/2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12/21/2004, 06:45 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Quote:
Originally posted by gqjeff
I do not think I need to rephrase it at all
But you said "The fish will only grow as large as the tank" Now to me that means that it will get as big as my tank

I'm just giving you a hard timebut I hope you see the point I was making