Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Question goldish/brown algae

For those that had previously helped me with my red slime algae problem, sorry to bug you again but I have one last batch of questions... The chemi-clean red slime algae remover worked pretty well and about 98% of the slime is gone, thankfully. The spots on the rocks that had the red slime has now turned into a goldish looking algae on both the sand and the rocks- I'll update some pics later (I'm in a hurry)

- What is this gold algae? Is it normal to get it after red slime? This guy at my LFS told me to use E-M tablets. He said unlike other chemicals it attacks the red slime only and not the bacteria and nutrients in the water. Has anyone ever heard of it? Does it work?

-I have a lot of corals in the tank (white bubble coral, frogspawn, star polyps, mushrooms and these red zoanthids. There are 3 rocks and one of the three is completely closed and the other two are half open and half closed. Every other coraland fish in the tank is doing fine, but the red zoanthids arent. Should I add any nutrients or something?

-Lastly, My prism protein skimmer is still haywire from when I added the Chemi-clean to the tank. Does anyone have experience with it enough to know when it should start working again- It works but overflows into the collection cup...

Thanks a lot--ill add pics later
Old 01/09/2008, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

pictures would help.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

here are the pics-- Would appreciate any help...
*sorry for my horrible photography, in a rush again...

Half closed red zoanthids-

gold algae after red slime on rocks-

Gold algae after red slime on sand-

Thanks- appreciate your help and advice!
Old 01/10/2008, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

this is what the zoanthids used to be like---

best shot I have- all the way to the left

Old 01/10/2008, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

The pictures are very blurry... I can't really tell what I'm looking at. Does it look snotty? could be dinoflagettes, that would certainly explain the coral troubles, or there could be something else going on, responsible for both.

Either way, all the crap you are putting in on your LFSs advice is just that CRAP! You need to solve the problem, not cover it up. Red slime remover, can help "clean up" cyano after you have removed the nutrient source, but otherwise, you are just sweeping it under the carpet.

Things I would recommend
1) better skimmer
2) GFO
3) Increased water changes with RO/DI water (not from your LFS)
4) decreased feeding.
5) increased flow
Old 01/10/2008, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

1) I currently have a prism protein skimmer and it sucks and is way too small for my tank- My problem is that my tank is sitting on a dresser. Its not on a sump. The only type of skimmer I can add is a hang on the back and I should have enough room for things to hang on the back until it hits the wall.
2) I do about a 5-7 gallon water change a week- not tap water.
3) Ever since the red slime break out, I have decreased feeding as well as lighting hours
4) I personally think and have been told that I have a good amount of flow in my tank. (Maxi jet 1200, koralia powerhead #3
5) the red slime has gone away but has now turned into this gold algae type thing...I used a turkey baster and squeezed water on the algae and it flew right off one of the rocks, but like you said I dont want to just dust my problems under the carpet. I want it gone for good.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like a good start - algae battles can be fun

If it is Dinoflagellates these might help -

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/eb/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

If it's more of a dust, I would suspect diatoms, and they should go away on their own, especially if there is low silicates.

You might also be able to rig up some type of macro algae HOB fuge or something, this should help.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...l~vendor~.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...=aquafuge&Np=1

Ive been looking at this product for a while. I have a prism protein skimmer and a fluval 405...I would replace the prism with the aquafuge and give it a month or two to sink in and then take out the fluval also. Sound good or got any other suggestions for filtration?

Personally, I hate algae battles- Anything but algae... =) =(
Old 01/10/2008, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

I forgot to mention, I feel quite stupid asking this question but I dont use tap water. I use filtered, nice clean water... What are RO/DI units made to do? I was thinking that you can use tap water and it takes out all the heavy metals, hardness, and dirt in the water for you?? Completely wrong, or around there???

thanks--Matt