Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

HELP!! How can I get rid of micro bubbles

I just set up a new 90 gal reef tank. I built a 20 gallon sump with a tripple wall bubble trap between the skimmer box and the sump. I am running a Quiet One 4000 as the return pump. I am getting mirco bubbles in the tank. The bubble trap seem to break up the large bubbles, but still I get bubbles in the tank. Is there something I can put on the return pump? Will foam help? I am open to all advice or suggestions.

thanks
Old 12/05/2007, 06:12 PM
Team RC Member

Well, the problem is most likely due to using a 20g for a sump with a quiet one 4000 as a return. In other words, too much flow for the baffles to work properly. A lower return pump would probably help but that's a tad expensive for a fix. I use a foam prefilter (cleaned regularly) on my mag12, it makes a big difference in microbubbles returning to the display. I also occasionally run a filter sock in the sump, that cuts out every single bubble even prior to reaching the bubble traps but unfortunatly a filter sock would require almost daily cleaning to avoid the negative effects they can have (high nitrate levels). Those are some idea's to start, we'll see if anyone else has some bright idea's though.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/05/2007, 07:44 PM
RC Mod

Micro bubbles are common in a new tank. Let it run a while so the plumbing can "slime up" and reduce friction. That will probably help a lot.

If you have room in the sump a "wall" of live rock, or even rubble helps dissipate the bubbles. Also adds to natural denitrification.

Chaetomorpha, works like a natural filter to remove bubbles, and as it grows it removes nutrients.

Or you may just have to throttle back the return pump.

Good Luck........
Old 12/05/2007, 09:30 PM
Master of Funk

A QO 4000 was too much flow for me when I had it running through a 20g. You need to either throttle the pump back with a valve or divery some water back to the sump. A simple T with some ballvalves on each side will allow you to get it just right.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

I have a course filter that I put on my skimmer that takes the rough flow of the water and smooths it out. It also gets the bubbles out real well. If I can get a good pic, I will show you what I'm talking about.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

If you look at this pic, you will see that the water that is coming out is very rough. It is slapping the water and causing a lot of bubbles in the sump just before the pump.

Now, look at this pic. Notice that the water is a lot smoother and there is a real lack of bubbles that could get in the pump.

Old 12/05/2007, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

My bubbles cut down alot once I added my chaeto. It acts like a giant piece of foam.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

Filter sock worked for me