Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2005, 11:55 PM
TRC Leader

I posted the pictures of the phosban reactor in my 280g thread before I left for MACNA.

There were quite a few gorgeous mermaids at MACNA this year, and you may see a few in the pictures I posted on my MACNA pages. You can find that in the Photography section of my "Hidden Treasure" page on my site.
Old 09/29/2005, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info on the reactor. I was able to find the pics. Not bad, looks more functional than the old one, ease of use, etc. But I think you'd agree the old one looks better with my sump. I also read the part about you getting blasted at MACNA. LMAO Must have been fun, especially flirting with the honeys while drunk.

Anyway, I saw one of the mermaids. One of my bud's sent me the pic link of the delta tank so I didn't see the rest of your pics till now. Was fun checking them out. I see your mouth is hanging open while you're talking to one. Just kidding. Whenever you're down here we have to get you hooked up. I think you would be shocked by the sheer number of them. Plus with so many it increases your odds of success. ROTFLMAO dyin j/k
Old 09/29/2005, 12:01 PM
TRC Leader

Where are you located? I like those odds.
Old 09/29/2005, 02:29 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Not nearly enough mermaids in this thread or in Marc's MACNA pages. It was almost 7.4 coral shots to mermaid shots! Priorities man!

Nice looking 400, tagging along to see the development...and mermaids.

B.
Old 09/29/2005, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Marc - You're kidding, right??? Did you suddenly get amnesia?

Ray - I hope you're working on tank updates. The natives are getting restless. If you noticed, whenever we don't see your tank in awhile we talk about mermaids? Can you believe Marc doesn't know where I'm from? Too funny. I have to go back to work buddy, so when you get updates I'll hop on to check them out. Take care and take it easy.
Old 09/29/2005, 04:40 PM
TRC Leader

You could fill in your location once and I'd never ask again.
Old 10/20/2005, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

nice naso pair...

One day I will have an achillies pair...lol or a powder blue pair...
Old 10/31/2005, 10:54 PM
I yam what I yam

OK everyone, here are some updated pic's. Just to show that I've been working. here's some of what i've been doing with the room. I installed two french doors, a new wall and covered everything with drywall as well as doing all of the electrical work myself.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 10/31/2005, 10:56 PM
I yam what I yam

Here's some updated tank pic's since I cleaned it up some.

left side

right side

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 10/31/2005, 10:58 PM
I yam what I yam

And the fish
Male Naso w/ 4 inch streamers

Vlamingi

Sailfin

Foxface

Humahuma in sump

Old 10/31/2005, 10:59 PM
I yam what I yam

Eating frenzy

Old 10/31/2005, 11:26 PM
One Millionth Poster

Room looks beautiful! Yet its apearant that you don't mud for a living my friend.

I like the sprinkler idea however I wasn't able to find them locally.
Old 11/01/2005, 10:46 AM
I yam what I yam

Quote:
Originally posted by Kent E
Room looks beautiful! Yet its apearant that you don't mud for a living my friend.

I like the sprinkler idea however I wasn't able to find them locally.
Thanks. Yea good thing this is just a hobby of mine and I don't do it for a living. At least the wall is smooth.

As for the sprinklers, they are still doing great. I backflushed them the otehr day when i was cleaning the tank. Had some bits of nori that was in my sump and got sucked up come out of them but it didn't seem to bother them. I just mainly cleand off the alge from the outside.

Old 11/01/2005, 11:11 AM
I yam what I yam

Well here's another update to go with the pic's I posted last night.

1. The fish are doing great and eating like pigs. The male naso, as seen in the pic's, now has about a 4" long streammers on his tail. The hawaiian wrasse, I'm sad to say, has passed on. he was doing great and then went and hid in the rocks for a long time. I don't think he was eating enough towards the end.

2. I replumbed the skimmer output and it now flows directly into the far end of teh 90 Sump vice returning to the 30 skimmer sump. I think this will be a better setup as that way there is always fresh water going into the skimmer. I was afraid that most of the water in the skimmer was just recirculating from the output into the sump and back in. Not anymore. There is still enough flow thru the 30 skimmer sump that it keeps the skimmer full and still overflows over to the 90 sump. So not all of the skimmed water from teh tank actually goes thru the skimmer. I don't want to cut the flow from the tank back, but I think it will work just fine like it is.

3. The 90 sump now has some LR in it as well as it's now setup as a frag growout area. I put a 150 W HQI H.O.T. setup from coralview over it. It's running a phoinex 14K bulb and looks great. Now I can grow out frags to trade to stock this thing.

4. I purchased my lights for the tank and should have them next week. I'm getting some coralview 400W HQI pendants. three for right now and the guy is going to try and get me a 4th one. That should be enough light for the tank so that I can grow whatever I want. I like the looks of the 14K Phoinex bulbs that I have on the sump and may go with the same in the pendants. If I do, then I won't need any atinic lights and will just remove the 8 X 55W PC's that are on it now. That or I'll make them all atinic and just use them for dawn/dusk lighting.

5. As you can see by the pic's above, work continues on the sunroom. I've got a new wall in, installed two sets of french doors and ran all the electrical as well as hung drywall. It's just about ready for paint. After that, I've got to pour some self levleing compound on the floor to make it all level. Then it will be time to start moving the tank into it's new home.
We are going to go with a cherry lamaniate flooring. I'm going to build steps for teh doors out of oak to match the doors. I'm also thinking of doing the tank cabintry in oak as well rather than cherry. That way there is some contrast between the two.

Don't know how much I'll get done with the holidays coming up but I want to at least get enough done so that I can move the tank in by next Jan. Wish me luck.

Old 11/01/2005, 01:04 PM
Slave to Lower Life Forms

Lookin good Ray. At least you have a good place in the garage to experiment with everything while you work on the room. Better to have an accident on concrete rather than your new floor. That laminate flooring will expand like a sponge if water gets under it. I just did an upstairs room w/ lam. and once you get the first couple of rows figured out, the rest of the floor is pretty quick to complete.

Hows da HOG?

See ya @ the next meeting.
Old 11/01/2005, 02:00 PM
I yam what I yam

Hey Jeremy, How's it going?

The plan is to put the tank on teh concrete, build up the cabinets and then lay teh floor up to the cabinet. That way it should keep it from getting wet.

The hog's doing great. Added a few more goodies to it. I'm headed down to San Diego this weekend on it. Got to go bury a friend.

I'm looking at trading it in or selling it. Going for a road glide. Wife want's something more comfortable for her. Seems she likes riding more than I thought she would. I should be at the meet. See you then. Maybe you should swing by the house and then we could ride out to the meet together.

Old 11/03/2005, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Hey bud. Sorry, I’ve been away for a while. Busy working, you know how it is. You sent me a pm for this. LOL JUST KIDDING! Nice update. I like the doors you got there. Where’s the mermaid? j/k
Old 11/03/2005, 02:35 PM
I yam what I yam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snap-on
Where’s the mermaid? j/k
She's resting after a little surgery to remove her fins. . Everythings OK though.

Old 11/03/2005, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
She's resting after a little surgery to remove her fins. . Everythings OK though.
WOW! Sorry to hear that bud. I hope she’s doing okay. Tell her I hope she gets well soon and to take care.

(I hope "fins" doesn't = boobs??? LOL)
Old 11/03/2005, 02:56 PM
I yam what I yam

LOL. Naw she's keeping them.

She's doing good. Just laid up for 6 weeks and going stir crazy in the house alone. She should be going back to work in another week.

Old 11/03/2005, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
LOL. Naw she's keeping them.
Thank God!

Old 11/03/2005, 04:18 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

wondering how before melev asks to see a picture to prove that one.
Old 11/03/2005, 07:34 PM
TRC Leader

So her fins were removed, or were they merely clipped? You trying to keep her from running/swimming/flying away?
Old 11/04/2005, 02:00 PM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

Ya, glad those fins weren't removed! Those are an inspiration for my mermaid!

I miss those silly fish, but don't miss taking care of them. I actually have more time now to finish building the (Snap-on..you ready?) full roller, aluminum head, Hampton blown 383 and sliding it into the Nova.

Hey Snap-On, We're headin' over on the 11th for two weeks. When/where is the local drag night and local cruise night?

Jeff
Old 11/04/2005, 02:00 PM
Slave to Lower Life Forms

Road Gilde eh?
Yep, when they get the cushy seat, control of the tunes, and can still yell at you over the intercom about your driving, the girls just can't get enough.
I hear the dealers can be pretty hard about giving good trades though.
I can try and get out early enough to ride up Thurs. I'll keep ya posted.