Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 10:51 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I'm going to give that woodwork the MSoA: Melev Seal of Approval.

That's funny. And thank you!
Old 10/25/2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
Well work is interfering with tank stuff
No kidding...damn it all!

Sorry I missed out on so much...you have risen from the ashes so I hope you name the tank Phoenix.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:15 PM
Carpe Noctem

That is a very good name and well described!
Old 10/25/2007, 08:26 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Hop, because of you doing your tank, I finally redid mine. It took a total of 29 hours, a pack of smokes, and I couple of dry heaves (( that sand bed was nasty, and the fuge section of the sump )) but it is all done. And didn't lose a thing.

Old 10/25/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

HOB you tank and tank room is lookin good. real good
Old 10/25/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

HOB you tank and tank room is lookin good. real good
Old 10/25/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

HOP i mean my bad
Old 10/26/2007, 06:41 AM
Carpe Noctem

That looks great Todd! Sorry about the dry heaves Makes me want to get motivated this weekend!(the tank, not the dry heaves part)

uncleant: Thanks!

I didn't get any new post notifications on this thread... Weird Well I have training today(last day) and then a few days off after all as they changed my days off and put me back on graveyard shift
Old 10/26/2007, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Hop,

System looks great...saw the link over in jnarowe's thread and decided to take a look...your system certainly puts my little dinky 75g with 29g sump to shame...

I do have one question...and I'm sure you answered this already, but with 3 little one's running all over the place and a pregnant wife in the hospital so the doctor can try to stop the 7th child from coming early I didn't have a lot of time to read everyone's questions...kind of read your thread like a lot of books when I was a kid, by looking at all the pics!!

I was wondering though where your wetroom is...and, how you are going to eventually fasten your lighting...

Looks great though...wish I had a place where I could cut a hole in the wall...well, I have a place but two reasons prevent it...first is the fact that the room behind where I would cut the hole in the wall is a room for our youngest child and her soon to come younger sister...and, second reason is the wife refuses to allow me to cut holes in the house...can't understand her aversion to that for some reason...

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 10/26/2007, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

ARGH!!! Darn double posts!!!

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Old 10/26/2007, 01:33 PM

The whole reason to HAVE a house is so that you CAN cut holes in the walls. That's what a house is for!
Old 10/26/2007, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
The whole reason to HAVE a house is so that you CAN cut holes in the walls. That's what a house is for!
Exactly! Supers & neighbors tend to get really touchy about cutting holes in the walls of apartments

Hop- Looks great! You've obviously done TONS of planning. Can't wait to see more.
Old 10/26/2007, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I agree...just can't convince my wife of that...heck, I couldn't even convince her to let me run a 1/2" line for RO/DI water...cause that would have required a hole in the floor...

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Old 10/26/2007, 01:58 PM

She needs to go to Vegas dude. Then you and your buddies can make the holes while she is gone. Better to ask for forgiveness!

here's the hole I made while my wife was at work:

Old 10/26/2007, 03:06 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Reefer

I was wondering though where your wetroom is...and, how you are going to eventually fasten your lighting...

Looks great though...wish I had a place where I could cut a hole in the wall...well, I have a place but two reasons prevent it...first is the fact that the room behind where I would cut the hole in the wall is a room for our youngest child and her soon to come younger sister...and, second reason is the wife refuses to allow me to cut holes in the house...can't understand her aversion to that for some reason...
Hey hopeful and thanks.

The tank butts up to the garage and the wetroom unfortunately is on the other side of the garage from the previous tank. It worked well on the last tank, and I guess it works just fine for this one although the plumbing goes along the wall to the room.

As far as the lighting, I'm actually just going to secure two 2X2s to the ceiling across the length of the tank and then after building the rack it will be secured using some type of mechanism that raises and lowers the light. I'm still trying to obtain a light mover and that will change things... So it's still not 100%.
Old 10/26/2007, 03:13 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich

Hop- Looks great! You've obviously done TONS of planning. Can't wait to see more.
Thank you. It will likely be a slower process right now. The priorities were to get the tank up and then finish the woodwork and finalize the lighting. Once things are stable for about 4 months, I'll work on planning for the supplemental additive side, whether that is a Ca reactor, Kalk, 2 part or a mix of all the above. Once that is done it will be time for the addition of corals. I have two ideas in my head and it's really just a matter of direction.
Old 10/26/2007, 03:16 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
She needs to go to Vegas dude. Then you and your buddies can make the holes while she is gone. Better to ask for forgiveness!

here's the hole I made while my wife was at work:

I always figure patching holes is pretty easy... But that hole... Not so much

I kept all the parts, so if we ever move I can convert where the tank sits back to a closet, although I like the tank better!
Old 10/26/2007, 03:23 PM

Well I really like where you have this tank because it cheers people up when they enter your home. And it will give you more room to stack crap in your office! I think the most difficult part will be managing heat in that enclosed space, but I know you have learned that lesson already and have that all figured out. Can't wait until my next CO visit!
Old 10/26/2007, 03:51 PM
Carpe Noctem

Thanks J... It does grab a lot of attention when people come inside. Especially this one.

I would like to give Kudos to Hydor though. I fried a korilla by my own doing. I got a hold of hydor to see if they could just fix this pump and was told to send it in. Even knowing what I had done to it, they replaced the pump for free! I'm not going to say what I did to it, but they were great in taking care of it
Old 10/26/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Your tank setup is looking really good! I like it!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10/26/2007, 09:02 PM
R I P we miss you...

Very cool Hop!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 10/28/2007, 08:33 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Micki
Very cool Hop!
Thank you Micki!

Quote:
Originally posted by scaryperson27
Your tank setup is looking really good! I like it!
Thanks!

I think I forgot to post pics of what I did the other week. Nothing too exciting, but it rounds out the not-so-step-by-step build

Here is how I plumbed the 2 1" drains into a 1.5" pipe and ran it through the wall. Between this and the standpipes, the tank is dead silent aside from a small hum audible from the closed loop pump.

Old 10/28/2007, 08:35 PM
Carpe Noctem

And here is the backside of the tank again. Only now I have the drain and returns plumbed and the first coat of mud on. The big holes (viewable a few pages back) allowed me to caulk the inner holes, fill the gap with great stuff and then put the drywall back up. I need one more coat of mud and then to seal this side with caulk. Then the whole wall will be painted after everything is hung and organized:

Old 10/28/2007, 08:37 PM
Carpe Noctem

I had to finish finals over the weekend which made for a pain in the tank time. But I did want to get the light rack at least started. What I found was that the sockets in my hood that had 1000 watt HPS bulbs didn't quite fit the MH bulbs. So I spent the afternoon getting the sockets swapped out and then started figuring how far apart I want the bulbs etc... So this is how they will sit over the tank. You can REALLY see the difference between a 400 watt HQI and a 175 watt XM 10K

Old 10/28/2007, 10:26 PM
TRC Leader

It is always fun following your threads, Hop.

The wall repair looks good, something I rarely get around to. I really need to do that in a few spots.

Those reflectors are huge.