Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/10/2006, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Wink Project: Dorm Reef

So I've been craving a reef tank ever since I dismantled my 30 to head to college. The solution? Start a nano reef!

I've been planning a small 10 gallon reef for a few weeks now. And I finally decided: what the hell--It's only money! So I'll be eating 19cent ramen for a few months...I'd rather have something enjoyable in my 9' by 8' mini-room.

The Mission: Create a nice nano reef with as little money possible.

Armed with a small amount of cash and a NARC Aquarium Shop 10%-off card, I began my mission at Home Depot, picking up one of Lights Of America's 65w Floodlights, and a power cord for about $40.
I had already cased out an $11 AGA 10gallon aquarium a few days before at petco down the street, but unfortunately they sold the last one earlier that day. I left petco with a $3 Hydrometer though.
So, I have lights and a hydrometer... but no tank! Thankfully Pete at The Aquarium Shop helped me out with the Aquarium, Salt, and an AquaClear filter. Mission complete! I have the basic workings of a reef aquarium for just around 100 bucks! Granted I could have went with some much cheaper lights and a rubbermaid container, but I want to impress people--not make them laugh!

Here's some photos

I'll add live rock to get the cycle going tomorrow, and hopefully everything will be in working order by the meeting! If anyone has any livestock suggestions, that would be great too!

Last edited by Andrew_Adrian; 09/10/2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09/10/2006, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Hey Andrew!
I was the sound designer at NACC theater for many many years.I lived in Rainsville.Lookin forward to seeing your nano grow!

Buzz!
Old 09/11/2006, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Looking good andrew! I've been thinking about doing a nano in a standard 10 as well. Looking forward to more pictures That will look awesome in a dorm room!

http://www.curtisstolaas.com
Old 09/12/2006, 11:01 AM
Village Idiot!

I've got a 10g sat around doing nothing at the moment, maybe i should set it running again
Old 09/12/2006, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

The Residence Hall Reef, day 3 -->

I threw about 16lbs of Live rock in there, but this stuff is really dense and has been cured a bit too well. I was counting on the Live rock starting my cycle off, but that's not going to happen with as clean as this stuff is! I'm planning on visiting Lucy's Lagoon someday soon to see what they have there, but I was wondering if any of you guys that are coming to the meeting would have some rubble rock or chaeto with a decent pod population that I could use to seed this stuff with.

As far as aquascaping goes, I'd like to place another small rock on the left to create a "grotto" of sorts with a feather duster or something. That would be viewable from my study area off to the left of the tank.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 09/15/2006, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

I have the same flood light. I used to use it on my refugium. Do they sell the replacement bulbs where you bought that one?
Thanks and good luck,
David
Old 09/16/2006, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

I'm decently sure that this particular Home Depot had replacement lights too.

But I could be wrong....
Old 09/27/2006, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

WestPat,
Jasper's home depot has several kinds (wattages) of the lights and the replacement bulbs.
Also for the folks at the last meeting they have the Fuge Bulbs that Bob showed at the meeting. Andrew how is the tank doing any updated pics?
Old 09/27/2006, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

So here's the tank in its third week now. I've had no problems with anything thus far. NH3,N02 at undetectable amounts; SG 1.023; pH at ~8.1; dKH ~10. As you can see, the light's spectrum has shifted just a small amount to more of a 6500k color.

The chromis is to be removed sometime soon. The cycle completed very quickly with the addition of seachem Stability, a heavy nutrient source, two fish, 20 lbs of live rock, a used filter cartridge, and some old tank water.

This picture was taken a couple of days ago after the addition of the condy and peppermint shrimp.

Livestock:
Chromis viridis
A. ocellaris
Pachyclavularia
3 Frags Xenia
Feather Duster
Peppermint shrimp
2 Zooanthid frags
Condylactis Anemone

This is pretty much everything that I want in the tank for now... The tank was intended to be an invert only tank, and it may revert back to that plan fairly soon if I get sick of all these water changes and dealing with the current bioload.
Old 09/27/2006, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Andrew,
Do you have a powerhead in there at all? If you are in need I am sure I have a small one laying around that will move that tank. If so I will bring it to the next meeting it looks good by the way.
Allen
Old 09/27/2006, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

I've got two HOB filters producing flow from opposite sides of the tank. The goal was to keep as much stuff out of the tank as possible, increasing water volume marginally and keeping it "pretty." The filters also break the water surface and promote oxygen exchange. I'm satisfied with their results. Thank you for the offer though
Old 09/27/2006, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Hopefully I can add an AquaC nano skimmer by the end of my Christmas break too...
Old 09/27/2006, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

That sounds good I was able to do the same with my 10 using an ac 110 that I converted to a fuge it also allowed me to put my heater in it as well as provided a place for a fuge.
Old 10/01/2006, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

I'm working with Aquarium Outfitters to Design a filtration unit that fits into a 10g to convert it into a Nano. The first prototype if built and running. If anyone is interested, I'll get some Picts. next time I'm in Athen.
Old 10/29/2006, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

in 45 days your 10 is looking 100 times better than my 44!!! my office (and tank) is across the street from uah on the sparkman side. pm me if you can stop by to take a look and give me some advice.
Old 10/29/2006, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

that is really coming along nice
Old 10/29/2006, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

that is really coming along nice