Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2007, 03:26 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

If you are using low-TDS tap water, be sure to keep an eye on it -- just because it is good today doesn't mean it'll be the same tomorrow.
Old 10/23/2007, 04:04 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Absolutely - Good Advice!

I check mine every time before I make a water change.
Old 10/23/2007, 04:15 PM
Unregistered Member

TDS Meter on eBay
Old 10/23/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Am I the only one who noticed "monthly water changes"?

I certainly wouldn't wait a whole month...

Last edited by catfisher; 10/23/2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10/23/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

I switched RO/DI water and I can't believe the difference. Clear, clean and best of all.. not green !
1 royal gramma
1 lubbucks wrasse
phosban
remora C skimmer
cheato
aqua remora c
30lbs live rock
GSP frag
Old 10/23/2007, 06:10 PM
Aquarium Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by catfisher
Am I the only one who noticed "monthly water changes"?

I certainly wouldn't wait a whole month...
I used to change 20-25 gallons every 3-4 weeks, now I change 10 gallons almost every week. Less stress on the tank and I believe a better result.
Old 10/23/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

I had used tap water since 1998 until I setup my 150g using RO. What I have noticed so far.

of course using RO is better than tap but extra cost: no algea break out.

Tap water: it's not the end of the world like someone said it'd a recipe for disasters. I setup my 100g tank with tap water and I had to fight algea for a few months and won the war with the help of 100 snails and 200 blue and red legs hermits.
After that everything was in control, no algea break out even I topped off and water changed with tap.

Choosing between Tap and RO? I'd go for RO. It costs a little more but you have the peace in mind that you don't have unknown stuff in your water. And when something goes wrong in your tank, you don't blame yourself for using tap
Old 10/23/2007, 07:02 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by dattong
I had used tap water since 1998 until I setup my 150g using RO. What I have noticed so far.

Tap water: it's not the end of the world like someone said it'd a recipe for disasters. I setup my 100g tank with tap water and I had to fight algea for a few months and won the war with the help of 100 snails and 200 blue and red legs hermits.
After that everything was in control, no algea break out even I topped off and water changed with tap.

Choosing between Tap and RO? I'd go for RO. It costs a little more but you have the peace in mind that you don't have unknown stuff in your water. And when something goes wrong in your tank, you don't blame yourself for using tap
Just want to be clear...

You state tap water "is not the end of the world" or a "recipe for disaster", but remember, it is a big world and for many people it IS a disaster.

What applies to you may not apply to someone in Arizona with close to 1000 ppm TDS.

RO/DI or not, everyone should test their water regularly for TDS and verify any additives with their municipality. You can also get a report to check on other various levels and see if anything is out of the norm. And remember it can change. For instance, my city does not normally use chloramine, just chlorine, but after calling I found out they mix water from another district 1/4 of the year that uses chloramine...

Last edited by HBtank; 10/23/2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:09 PM
Unregistered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dattong

Using RO water doesn't even come close to guaranteeing no algae outbreak. There are far more sources of nitrates, phosphates, silicates, etc than tap water. Although source water is important it's not typically a major contributing factor to algae problems.

A poll I posted a while back relevant to this thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1103562

Take a look and vote
Old 10/23/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidryder
Using RO water doesn't even come close to guaranteeing no algae outbreak.

Did you even read the previous setence? "What I have noticed"

it stated my own experience. I don't believe in saying something in general. A lot of people on here say thing that they only read from others but their own experience.
Old 10/23/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
Just want to be clear...

You state tap water "is not the end of the world" or a "recipe for disaster", but remember, it is a big world and for many people it IS a disaster.

What applies to you may not apply to someone in Arizona with close to 1000 ppm TDS.

RO/DI or not, everyone should test their water regularly for TDS and verify any additives with their municipality. You can also get a report to check on other various levels and see if anything is out of the norm. And remember it can change. For instance, my city does not normally use chloramine, just chlorine, but after calling I found out they mix water from another district 1/4 of the year that uses chloramine...

Again, that is my own experience. In my case, "recipe for disaster" is a false statement. (logically, a person succeeds by using tap will be a good counter example to prove that statement wrong)
Old 10/23/2007, 11:50 PM
saltwater in my veins

Personal experiences are kinda useless to anyone that is not using your exact water supply.

Someone in a different location may read that datong used "tap water" and was ok, and not realize the word "tap water" is anything but universal. Many people talk about it in a way that makes it seem that way... and it is misleading.

That was my only point, and to test and check your "tap water" before proceeding, something I did not see you mention.