Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

Smile 2 video's Sexy Shrimp/Pom Pom Crab

I shot these 2 video's today - hope you like them. Let me know what you think...

http://gallery.mac.com/marlenez/100000

http://gallery.mac.com/marlenez#100006

Marlene
Old 12/14/2007, 12:18 PM
Genuine reef addict

Cool videos - thanks!
Old 12/17/2007, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

2 more videos.... copepods and amphipods and my cleaner shrimp giving birth.

http://gallery.mac.com/marlenez#100015
http://gallery.mac.com/marlenez#100021
Old 12/17/2007, 09:39 PM
Genuine reef addict

Nice videos mokeyz. I noticed for the first time some of what appear to be free swimming baby shrimp-like critters in my little fuge, along with the usual ton of copepods and bigger amphipods.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Cool Terry, do you have a mated pair of shrimp? my cleaner shrimp decided to mate with a new cleaner I added - luckily. I know that a cleaner can carry eggs for up to a year, but they still need to be fertilized in order to bear young.

I have a few other videos I am working on...

Marlene
Old 12/18/2007, 06:54 AM
Genuine reef addict

Hi mokeyz - I only have one cleaner and only one remaining peppermint that I'm aware of. I haven't noticed eggs on either. The order of amphipods & copepods I got a while back (benthic types - not free swimming) came with some chaeto and gracilaria and had mini stars in it and probably all kinds of bonus critters - the chaeto even had a small pipe fish in it (which I think the killer hermit I put in the fuge probably consumed). It's possible the shrimp came in with the order, but they just showed up after a few weeks. It's not a definite ID, but they sure look like baby mysid shrimp or similar.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

Ah, sorry, thought you were referring to Cleaner Shrimp babies. Where did you order the chaeto from??
Old 12/18/2007, 02:27 PM
Genuine reef addict

My largest hunk of chaeto was from a local lfs, but the smaller hunk came as a "carrier" for my amphipod order - this is the clump that had the stars and pipefish also in it. From Florida Pets - not too far from me, in SC, but they're onine only unless you set up a pickup, so I had it delivered - low cost 2-3 day priority mail for the east coast - the copepods, amphipods, snails and extra micro stars all arrived overnight and fine. I paid a small fee for a heat pack to be sure the stuff didn't freeze.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Hey Mokeyz,

Those videos are great! I have wanted a pom pom crab for years and coincidently have one coming in the mail for Christmas. How long have you had yours? How big is your system? Any special care instructions?

Thanks for your post. It looks like you have a real nice aquarium.

Rafael
Old 12/20/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Thank you for your kind words, Rafael. I have a pretty small tank, it is a 34 gallon CADlights that I had them drill so that I could pipe it down to a sump/refugium which is 20 gallons.

The Pom Pom crab requires nothing special that I know of - I have only had them (1 is in the fuge as I'm holding it for a friend) for a few weeks. They are basically nocturnal so you probably won't see it much. I am lucky as the one in my main tank happens to live in a small mushroom rock (the one in the video) right in front of the tank. I keep my video camera next to the tank and while I was on the phone he/she decided to pop out and take a little walk, I was lucky to capture it.

The one in the fuge had only one front claw and anemone when I got him and now he has molted and has not only the second claw back but a new anemone too. I am not sure how that happened unless the other anemone split...

Happy Holidays,
Marlene
Old 12/20/2007, 05:28 PM
Caribe Piranha

Sweet videos, thanks for sharing!