Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Calcium Reactor Woes

I have a Geo 618 reactor that was working great for some time. My CO2 regulator went bad and I bought a new one from reef fanatic...the same as was on it before. After sitting for about one month with water running through the reactor(no CO2) I got it back up and running with CO2. Now the Ph will not get low enough to turn the Co2 off. Everything is the same... the controller reads accurately, the Ph probe is fine and the bubble count is the same as before. What gives? Is it a slime buildup in the reactor? Could it be that the media needs to absorb Co2 for a period of time?
Old 01/05/2008, 08:20 PM
Big Boy Pants

If the PH probe did not dry out during the CA reactor downtime & it is calibrated, try turning up the bubble count.

Is the recirculation pump working?

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 01/05/2008, 08:40 PM
Moved out

FWIW I also have a Geo 618 Ca reactor.

I just had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. I thought the PH probe was fine. Come to find out the probe was bad. Its been said that a PH probe is pretty much shot after a year in a Ca reactor.

My Co2 just kept running and running. Over 24hrs. Bubble count was probably 50/min or so. I KNEW something was not right. Funny thing was I did recalibrate the old PH probe and it "took" ok. It wasn't right. I went to the LFS and got a new probe, calibrated it and put that one in the reactor. The PH immediatley went to 6.1

I'd be willing to bet your PH probe is fairly old, > 1 year or so. Get a new PH probe and I'll bet problem solved.

Chris
Old 01/06/2008, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

Thanks guys for the responses!
I am at about 60-65 B/m CO2, the reactor feeds into a cup where the Ph probe is and it won't get to the 6.43 Ph I have the controller set to... it stays at 6.48- 6.50.
The Ph probe has been in the system for 6 months and has not been allowed to dry out.
I just replaced the impeller in the eheim recirc pump and it seems to be working fine.

Weird almost still sounds like the Ph probe doesn't it!?

I wonder if I should contact Geo about a ph probe insert on the lid of the reactor?
Old 01/06/2008, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

Have you tested your calcium to see if it's still as stable as before the regulator failure? Has the effluent rate increased?
Old 01/06/2008, 01:23 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by bluewatercandy
I am at about 60-65 B/m CO2, the reactor feeds into a cup where the Ph probe is and it won't get to the 6.43 Ph I have the controller set to... it stays at 6.48- 6.50.
The Ph probe has been in the system for 6 months and has not been allowed to dry out.
I just replaced the impeller in the eheim recirc pump and it seems to be working fine.

I wonder if I should contact Geo about a ph probe insert on the lid of the reactor?
Impeller change = higher recirculation = increased reactor virtual lenght = improved CO2 consumption = improved dissolution = higher PH in the reactor = nothing wrong with it other than potentially overshooting your alkalinity.

What is the effluent's alkalinity?
I could almost say that the addition of alkalinity and calcium to your tank has increased compared to before the impeller change so watch your tank alkalinity.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:35 PM
Moved out

Quote:
Originally posted by bluewatercandy

OH!!! I didn't even think about the recirculation. Yes that does play an important role. If you are sure you have not problems with re-circulation then I'd be willing to bet the farm its your PH probe. IF you don't have some wierd problem with your Co2.