Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

I need a Fish ID, family is Blennidae

I was castnetting bait around Marco, FL (Southwest) and this little guy ended up in the livewell somehow. Anyone know what he is exactly? I've never seen one like it, his caudal is transparent. Very neat little fish though.
Other Various tanks
Old 12/01/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

looks like a lawnmower blenny to me
Old 12/01/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Not a lawnmower... can't remember the name, though... awesome fish in the aquarium. It's similar to a redlip, lots of character. i'd never turn one down! They'll accept meaty foods while grazing lightly on algae. They will hole up in a rock, inside a hole just big enough for them to duck in and turn around in. It's amazing to watch, they jet out and grab a piece of food, then jet back head first into the hole, just big enough for their body, and somehow do a u-turn in there, and sit there looking out at the world with just the front of their face exposed.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

id say lawnmower or scooter blenny but im FAR from an expert
Old 12/01/2007, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Alright I believe I have narrowed it down. Thanks for trying everyone. My best guess is Hypsoblennius hentz seems to have the same behavior, patterns and blue spot on the front of the dorsal, but the transparent caudal is a little wierd. It's funny though, when I tap the front of the tank he comes out and looks at it. I guess they're a little more aggressive than some of the others.
Other Various tanks
Old 12/02/2007, 01:00 PM
Bee Wrangler

Strange, I don't see anything that resembles that in my Florida fish ID book. Hmm. Maybe it's a juvenile and needs to grow a bit before a positive ID is possible. Nice looking fish tho.
Old 12/02/2007, 01:05 PM
Team RC Member

Looks a little like a molly miller in the eyebrows, but the coloration isn't right: the mollies are more pinkish and horse-faced.
Pretty fellow, definitely combtooth blenny class...but very large in the face and gill area and lacking the horsefaced character of most of the combtooths. No way you could construe that into a fanged blenny, however: mouth structure just doesn't look right.

Hmmn, so wish we had a blenny-goby expert in RC.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/02/2007, 01:06 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by cpl40475
id say lawnmower or scooter blenny but im FAR from an expert
definetley not a scooter.
Old 12/02/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

looks kinda like a molly miller. but i dont think it is. these guys are hard to figure out cause so many look close.
Old 12/02/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p....cfm?pCatId=94
is the one reason i was leaning towards the lawnmower and i seen another one resembling it on saltwaterfish.com made me lean towards the scooter
Old 12/02/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

but i can say with 1000% confidence it is a blennie lol