Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment

Old 10/16/2003, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Lion fish not doing good

Hi, a friend of mine has this lion fish since a couple of months when he got 2 of them without any search on waht they eat, they were eating really good the first few days, they ate his shrimps his damsels.... and after that tehy were eating samall fish pieces. 3 days ago one of them is on the substrate and only swims a little with no balance as it swims on it.s back or downwards for a few seconds then restes again on the rocks or sand. no spots of any kind no skin abrasion, normal respiration, clear eyes. it had developped cloudy eyes 2-3 weeks ago but recovered from it. tankmates are:
1 clarcki clown
1 semi circulatus
the toher lion fish
2 damsels that have not been eaten yet.
a couple of hermit crabs, a sand sifting star
also he's got 4 small sand anemones and one small anemone which is whitish with small purple tips don't know if it's bleached or if the white is the natural coloration.
2 stones with anthelia on that is being consumed by his semicirculatus and GSP that got bleached i believe, for now all the polyps are totally white even at the stalks level.
his filtration is with a wet dry filter no skimer and no DSB fluorescent lighting only.
Any ideas about what the lionfish condition and what he should be checking on.
Old 10/16/2003, 05:28 AM
20 and over club

How large is the tank?

How large is the lionfish?

What are the water parameters?

Is the sick lion feeding and if so, what is it eating?
Old 10/16/2003, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Tank is 100g, lionfish is around 6-7 inches no ammonia and no nitrites nitrates around 20.
the sick lion fish stopped eating on the first day he began swimming with no balance.
Old 10/17/2003, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

jsut an update the lionfish passed away and the other one got blind shortly after and strted bumping into tank glass and rocks and died one day after. All other fish seem normal. Any ideas on any disease that affects liofish exclusively or is it just coincidence?
Old 10/17/2003, 06:02 PM
20 and over club

Maroun,
Sorry to hear about your friend's lionfish. I wish I could offer some explanation.
Old 10/18/2003, 03:05 AM
Registered Member

thanks ATJ.
I told him to do a couple of big water changes one now and one in a week, to run carbon, and watch water parameters in case anything is fluctuating. is that correct and would you recommend anything more?
Old 10/18/2003, 05:54 PM
20 and over club

Maroun,

That will be fine. I doubt the problem was related to water parameters but it won't hurt to do some large water changes.