Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 04:55 PM
Generic Member

The Fluval 404 is officially dead. What is a good canister to replace it with?

I've had a couple of posts here discussing GAC/GFO use. I have been using a Fluval 404 which has died (again) and I wont be fixing it. My system is a 180G, 250G or so total volume. What is a good canister to replace it with. Something that is easy to maintain, clean, refill, holds a decent amount of GAC and would also be used for GFO. If it was self priming, that would be a bonus. I dont like the little TLF type reactors. I'm thinking either a Magnum or HOT magnum. Any opinions?
Old 12/17/2007, 05:00 PM
Team RC Member

I have a H.O.T magnum and its been running flawlessly for a couple of years now. Easy to maintain.

If I remember correctly, Randy uses (or used) the Magnum 350.

Not sure what the difference is but maybe google it and study up on the differences to see which is better for your situation.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:10 PM
Generic Member

Thanks Billy. How much can the HOT hold and how easy is it to service? This would be only for GAC and GFO. No mechanical filteration. It would hang on the sump. The water level is ~ 9" below the rim. Is that an issue?
Old 12/17/2007, 05:11 PM
Rubberman

Eheim

SteveU
Old 12/17/2007, 07:47 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrestoration
Eheim

SteveU
I just may do that. Eheim makes very good quality products. I think I'm going to get an ECCO 2236,
Old 12/17/2007, 08:21 PM
Team RC Member

Yes, the 9" below water level is an issue with magnums.

I respect Steve's opinions. If it fits your situation, go for it.

Or were you just clearing your throat. Eheim

Old 12/17/2007, 11:11 PM
Generic Member

I did some reading over at the Cichlid-forums since canister filters are not exactly the hot topic around here. The Eheim Ecco series didn't have great reviews. Many complaints of broken multi-function handles, and cheap quality in general. The Magnums also have mixed reviews. People seem to really like the new Marineland C series, even rating them above the Eheim Pros. I ordered the smallest one, the C-160.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

I used the Rena Filstar for a short period of time and really liked it. Seemed like it was built very well.
Old 12/18/2007, 06:32 PM
Generic Member

The Filstars also got very good reviews. I wanted to keep the cost to $100 max. For that price, the XP1 only had a single media basket. I wanted more than one. The C-160 has 3.
Old 12/18/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

The Rena Filstar is your best choice. Good flow rate and quiet. Very easy to use.
Old 12/18/2007, 06:35 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
The Filstars also got very good reviews. I wanted to keep the cost to $100 max. For that price, the XP1 only had a single media basket. I wanted more than one. The C-160 has 3.
lmk your impressions. i was going to buy a fluval 405 but 100 max sounds good to me.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:02 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

By a real filter like a Eheim or a Marineland C-Series However, I must add that the new Fluval FX5 is a work of art but really to big and pricey. The Filstars are also good. I might also add I'm not a basket fan and really prefer canister like the Ehiem 2200 classic series.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:57 PM
Generic Member

Good input. Sorry for the "equipment" talk on the chemistry forum. The only reason I brought it up is there are often "how to run" questions about GAC and GFO.

For me, changing out media is not my favorite job. I want it to be easy. My Fluval was kind of a pain to work with. Priming it was a chore. It was too big for what I needed and had too high a GPH. I wanted smaller, lower flow and easier. Since it is for the basement sump, noise is not at all a concern.

The Eheim Classics look great. Old school, one big canister. They are well liked and respected...but... They have to be manually primed with a siphon, no quick connect hoses, which I wouldn't like. The Eheim Ecco, looked good until I saw all the complaints of fragile multi-function handles. The Eheim Pro are too big, too expensive and are way overkill for my application.

The Magnum HOT looked interesting, but wont work with my setup. The Magnum 350 has mixed reviews.

The Filstar looks good, but only the smallest model with the single basket (which may have been fine) was at the $100 price point.

This brought me to the Marineland C series. Very good reviews, the smallest model the C-160 seems just right size and flow, has a primer that is supposed to actually work. The C series has the top rating on the Cichlid forum, just above the Eheim classic. It does only have 10 reviews since it is a new medel compared to 50 for the #2 Eheim classic. and 100 for the #3 Filstar.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews...04&sort=rating

BTW, I like this section of the Cichlid forum with the user reviews. I wish RC had something like that.

Last edited by sjm817; 12/18/2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:08 PM

They have to be manually primed with a siphon, no quick connect hoses, which I wouldn't like.

No, no, no, . You can buy quick disconnects for them with dual valves. As far as priming goes. You shut off the values (1,2 3 and 4). You remove canister and do your thing. When you put it back you open the effluent valve of the canister (3) not the valve above it (4). Then you open the siphon valves (1 &2) and let the canister fill from the bottom up. When you see it near the top (at the conjunction of the black top and green canister) you then connect valve 4 quickly and then open it. Then turn the pump on for 5 secs. Then shut it off for 2 seconds and then turn it back on again and all should be well.

effluent to tank<---4/qd/3=Canister=2/qd/1<---influent from tank.

I know this all sounds like a pain in the ash and it is .

There are also other ways to do this. Me, my discharge was always above water, a spray bar, so I would just open the qd # 4 and let it drain into a small container. Then all one has to do is just reconnect it all and open all the valves (#1 last) and it will fill to above value 4 and just turn it on. No air at all to worry about in the motor.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:46 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer

I know this all sounds like a pain in the ash and it is .
ummmm...ok! Probably not as bad as it sounds. Just something you get used to (you, not me!) The C-160 just has a big button you push a few times.

Truth be told, what really sold me is the slick http://www.marinelandc-series.com/ website!!
Old 12/19/2007, 02:53 AM
Team RC Member

Advertising is a powerful tool.

As long as it is truthful.

Let us know how you like it. I'm getting ready to replace my Magnum after the first of the year.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:17 PM

I see the ad said almost no by-pass, a good thing. That is the issue with almost all these "basket" pump canisters and is something that is not an issue in the Ehiem 2200 classic series. You could actually take a Fluval 404 and fill up the baskets with cement and still get massive by-pass That is mostly because in these types the water both enters and leaves the top of the canister. Look at the Ehiem 2200 classic series, the water enters from the bottom and leaves at the top. No such thing as diverters, baffle plates, or separator walls.

Old 12/19/2007, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

I agree with Boomer I have a Fluval 405 and a magnium 350. I dont like any of them (there in my basement collecting dust). The Fluval will have alot of by pass if your poly filters and sponges get clogged. I use a skimmer and cheato in my sump/fuge.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

I have had HOT Magnum's in the past for discus and they worked OK, but for my reef I currently have a Filstar xp4. I got it off the internet from a major brand name pet store and it was less than $100. I took the price off the internet, printed it out and went into the store and they honored it. To just walk into the store it would have cost over $100 more. I didn't believe it at first, but called a store and they said they would honor it. I've had no problems with it either.....My Magnums are no longer operational.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

I used to sell Marineland and it's hard to beat the Magnum 350 or the HOT. The latter is sooo easy and flawless and costs less that $ 50.00. I run an Eheim and a HOT Magnum on a 60 gal fish only.
Old 12/22/2007, 08:37 PM
Generic Member

Got the Marineland C-160 today and installed it. What can I say? Its a canister filter. Nothing to get excited about. It seems pretty good. The smaller size and low flow is a lot better than the Fluval I had. Much more appropriate for GAC and GFO use.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

GAC/GFO ??
Old 12/23/2007, 12:40 PM
Generic Member

GAC = Granular Activated Carbon
GFO = Granular Ferric Oxide (Phosphate remover).
Old 12/23/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Ahh - Thanks

Is Granular better than the larger? Like Kent? Carbon