Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2005, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

QT filtration question

Ive come to the point now that I have to pull all my fish from my tank and QT them for ich. I have a PB tang, Foxface Lo, Lyretail Anthias, False Perc., Pygmy Angel, Sixline Wrasse and a Gold Head Sleeper Goby. My PB Tang is covered in it and I cant see him suffer. The other fish have reoccuring problems.

I only have space for a 55 gallon QT which I think should be sufficent for the next 8 weeks.

For filtration I will be using two Emperor 400 filters that I have laying around. My question is, should I put the bio-wheels in my sump of my main tank now to get some bacteria built up on them to avoid an ammonia spike when I add the fish?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01/01/2005, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

What you might do is collect a little detritis from your main tank and let your filters suck it up. The bacteria from that will spread through the tank. Even so, it will be probably be a couple of weeks before the filters can handle the load. Until then you'll need to be aggressively changing water... 50%/day is probably about right. Try to keep the ammonia below 0.1ppm. Also get some ammonia detox solution... I don't like to rely on it, but it works in a pinch.