Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment

Old 01/07/2008, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Help!!! Marine Velvet

I have recently been a victom of Marine Velvet. And it all started right after I took all 150 pounds of live rock out of my tank to catch one very mean & fast Koran angel.

I have a 125 Gallon tank with a proclear sump, also have 25 watt uv ster. Im at the end of my rope here. I dont want to stress all of my fish out again by trying to catch them and putting them in my qt tank.

Ive been mixing garlic extract in there food. I have a very beautiful bubble tip anemone that my tomato clown is hosting in. Also tons of snails and crabs. So treating this tank is very limited.

Ive been reading on beta glucan, and most of the results seem great. But Im still not sure what else I should do. Ive been doing 20% water chages daily for 3 days.

The fish that im worried the most about is my heneocas butterflyfish. And my 3 occelaris clowns. They seem to be the ones most affected by this. The others are breathing very rapid.

Tank has been setup for over 9 months....

PLEASE any advice would be helpful. I feel really bad about this and would love to help them any way possible. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by slicedsmoke; 01/07/2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

In my opinion, you are SOL without qt. Someone may disagree with me, it would not be a first, but because you have severe limitations to treating in the main tank and you need something stronger than a temperature raise and hyposalinity anyway, regardless of what is in there...I would rather mess with the stress of QT, where you can afford to treat properly, and a fallow tank period. Make sure everyone gets QTed from now on, it is so much easier on you and the fish!
Old 01/07/2008, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

first, thank you for replying to my thread. I noticed that 23 other people looked at it and only 1 reply. wow you must not be the only one that thinks im SOL.

Well if anyone else has any other advice i would greatly appreciate it.. Im pretty sure that raising the temp and hypo have little affect on marine velvet.. might be wrong on that tho.

Just wondering if anyone has tried Beta glucan and had any sucess with it. Since all the fish in the tank are still eating well and are good and fat.

They seem to have like a white film and some white specs. And breathing very rapid. Also noticed that my sailfin is also covered in these white patches too. Man this really sucks.. Im really getting discouraged and dont know if I will continue in this hobby. I feel like im just killing innocent fish by not being able to help them more and not making the right choices.

Sorry to keep posting so much, just really depressed i guess
Old 01/08/2008, 08:02 AM
--sister of geek--

This may not be the advice you want, but you will have much greater chance of success if you bite the bullet and get those fish in QT. If need be get some big containers, and drain the tank. If you use a powerhead it won't take that long, and then you can fill it again.

Beta glucan is an immune stimulant: it is used to help animals fight infection. In this case with a well defined parasite, I wouldn't rely on it alone. The fish will resist the parasite, but the parasite will still be around in the tank, and you're open to a repeat infection. Beta-glucan doesn't kill anything by itself. If you like, use it in conjunction with a copper treatment in QT.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

well I know qt is the way. But with my butterfly fish still eating well.. im scared to move him cause hes very finicky eater and might stop eating in a diff tank, once they stop eating then they are doomed also TY for the advice, Fish seem better today then they have for a while, also breathing is not as rapid when i leave some of the lights off.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

ok, Ive changed my mind, Im gonna get a big enough qt tank setup. I have a few questions on what i need. Can I use a rubbermaid container, like 40g? Also what do I need to have .. i know a powerhead and heater. Do they need a filter of some sort? also should I use an air pump w/airstone? since they are having trouble breathing? Do they need a light? Will coppersafe be good enough?

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks guys
Old 01/08/2008, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

I've seen people use plastic file cabinets before! Just rinse it out well. I would use a cheap HOB filter (if possible), good for tossing in a bag of carbon filtration when you are done and should help keep the ammonia down. I am not noticing anything that cannot handle a copper treatment. It's just the angel, the clownfish, and the butterfly right? Get a heater and a powerhead for aeration. A light is nice to see how the disease is progressing or reggresing, but since we are talking rubbermaid, a flashlight will be sufficient. Since they will be stressed, as they already are, no full lighting is necessary...the lighting is more for you.