Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2007, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

How to quiet an overflow?

I just put a siphon overflow on my tank, and installed a sump over the holidays. Problem is all the gurgling I get from the tube leading to the sump. I get more sound when the end of the tube is submerged, but even without submerging it, I get a ton of noise originating from the overflow/tube connection area from air getting sucked in.
Is there an easy way to make it stop?
This "Glurg Glurg Glurg.." thing is getting old FAST.

Do these work? Any idea how to DIY one?
Old 01/02/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Hi jeffathome,

I had encountered the same problem with a 95g tank I set up 6 months ago. The sound was driving me crazy.

I stopped it by cutting a piece of "eggcrate" such that it fit in the overflow above the drain holes (which feed the sump). On top of the egg crate, I put in some filter media (the same stuff you use to filter out the non-soluable waste products you probably already have in your sump.

It worked like a charm....the noise went away, and it had the added benefit of "pre-cleaning" the water prior to it falling into the sump.

If you do this, please make sure to clean the media mesh frequently to avoid it becoming too clogged, as you do not want the water to back up, and possibly overflow at some point.
Old 01/02/2007, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Yeah... I'd be afraid that the stuff would clog and I'd end up with a flood.

Any other options?

The LFS guy told me about a riser that had a T-fitting and a drilled top-cap. By rotating the top-cap hole in relation to the hole drilled in the riser, you can control the amt of air in the system. Just wondering if there were any other ways to do it since I don't think I can fit this contraption in my overflow box.
Old 01/02/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

I had the excact same problem less than a week ago. It was driving my wife crazy who in return well you know. The man at the lfs told me to try a piece of air hose. You stick the air hose into the drain untill the noise decreases the most. This took care of about 75 % of my noise. Which took care of 75 % of the complaining. Also do you have a sock on the end of the drain going into the sump. This helped also
Old 01/02/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Make a durso over flow, they help a ton...

Funny, this link is for cichlid tanks but it had the best info and pictures...

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_sumps.php
Old 01/02/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

The pic in your question is the easiest way for a hang on overflow as most of them don't have enough room to easily fit a durso. Here is the site I got directions from http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson...truction.html. Sorry I don't know how to attach a link. If this does not bring you to the site google Hofer Gurgle Buster Construction Page. You may have to play with adjustment or the level of the holes you drill (buy extra pvc I got an 8 foot length for 4 bucks at home depot) but after you have it properly adjusted it is almost silent definitely no Glurg Glurg Glurg after you make the proper adjustments.
Old 01/10/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Yes the above item pictured above will work. email me off line at stockmanreef@gmail.com. I recently redesigned the Aqua-Silencer. You can purchase one from Premium Aquatics or make one yourself. The new design is impossible to DIY, unless you have a milling maching, but the old design is esay to make.

BTW--I have been trying to figure out what a Hofer Gurgle Buster looks like. Can anyone describe it or post a picture.
Old 01/10/2007, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

I recently purchased a stockman "aquasilencer" It works like a charm. He posted just above. He has some good photos and diagrams on his website. I'd email him for more info.
Old 01/10/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Henry--

When did you purchase the AS? Just wondering if you had the new or old design. The new design is two endcaps glued together and one end is milled like a strainer.

ken
Old 01/10/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

I just made one from this site. It works perfectly with hardly any noise. It cost less than 10 dollars for everything. You will have to have the 1/2" drill bit and a dremel. Good luck...
Old 01/10/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

www.dursostandpipes.com
Old 01/10/2007, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Ken,

I've got the new one. Works great. Thanks !
Old 01/10/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

make sure theres no loops, in your hose leading to the sump, that would take care of the noise, had the same problem with my hang on overflow box, that took care of the noise.
Old 01/11/2007, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Ah--I remember now. The Reverse Stockman standpipe. I did not know that it had a name. Pretty cool.

I will post pictures of my new design soon. Unfortunately, this desing can not easily be done DIY.