Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2003, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Question caulerpa in my tank?

I have just purchased grape caulerpa and I wanted to know if I should put some in my tank or not? Will it harm or over take my tank?
Old 08/27/2003, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

I find that it will attach itself to everything for one thing - hard to remove. Second, I only had it really grow like crazy when the lights in my Sump were left on 24 hrs a day.
Old 08/27/2003, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

Dude...no way no how!..or at least thats my personal opinion....I had a algea issue and that stuff sprang from now where! and was a bear to get rid of...jeesh, I would literaly pull out 2 gallon bucket full of the stuff. Will grow extremely fast pending your system. Some people have it and like it..but they have some control over it. So, if you have animals (tang, etc.) that would help, then its your choice..another problem i saw with it is it would go sexual quick...After many, many months, Ive finally got it out of my tank and will not look to put any back in..but then again, thats my 2 penny's...Can you tell im a little jade on this issue?..lol
There is unrest in the reef, There is trouble with the corals, for the lps want more sunlight And the sps ignore their pleas....The trouble with the LPS,(And they're quite convinced they're right) They say the SPS are just too lofty And they grab up all the light. But the SPS can't help their feelings If they like the way they're made. And they wonder why the LPS Can't be happy in their shade..So the LPS formed a union And demanded equal rights. "The SPS are just too greedy;We will make them give us light." Now there's no more SPS oppression, For they passed a noble law, And the Corals are all kept equal By Reefer.. frag.. and saw.
Old 08/27/2003, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

I have some (well more than some) grape caulerpa growing in my show tank. It came on the LR at first i liked it but it has overgrown it's welcome. I keep harvesting it but it attaches to everything. Besides if it goes sexual it can be toxic. I sure wouldn't put it in on purpose. My question is if I set up a refugium will it confine itself to the fuge? Short of pulling out all the rock how do ai get rid of it? I don't think 3 tangs could all this stuff.
Old 08/27/2003, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everybody!! I will leave it in the fuge
Old 08/27/2003, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

NeuroLarry, I found no way but to pull it off. I had to really watch my nutrient levels and pull it after it would spring up, making sure to pull as many "arms" off with it as I could..after a while, it got to be harder and harder to come back..now its gone. Some fish will eat it. Maybe this as well as harvesting will be the answer for you..good luck.
There is unrest in the reef, There is trouble with the corals, for the lps want more sunlight And the sps ignore their pleas....The trouble with the LPS,(And they're quite convinced they're right) They say the SPS are just too lofty And they grab up all the light. But the SPS can't help their feelings If they like the way they're made. And they wonder why the LPS Can't be happy in their shade..So the LPS formed a union And demanded equal rights. "The SPS are just too greedy;We will make them give us light." Now there's no more SPS oppression, For they passed a noble law, And the Corals are all kept equal By Reefer.. frag.. and saw.
Old 08/27/2003, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Thanks PD thats my game plan
Old 08/27/2003, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

The local Reef store, that's all they do is Reef, uses Grape Caulerpa for their Miracle Mud systems. They don't have any issues with it growing in their shows tanks, which usually run about $8 - $10K a piece, so I don't believe it can be that bad.
Old 08/27/2003, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

I hate it. Had some in my fuge and it ended up in my tank(my own fault). Now I can't get it out. Nothing in my tank will touch it including my purple tang. I pull out as much as I can but it always comes back. When it touches my sps corals it kills the branch it comes in contact with.