Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2003, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy The first basement disaster

Well, I finally went through the first basement disaster with the sump in the basement. Got a 175 FO with a refugium in the basement for filtration. Was filling the sump up with top off water from the faucet, and forgot to turn it off. Went out for lunch ( this was about 11am), and to work later, came back at 5pm or so, and saw the thermometer showing 60 degrees. Initially thought that the thermometer malfunctioned. Put my hand in the tank to check the water and brrrrr, it was cold. Go to the basement, and it's flooded, about .5 -> 1 inch of water in half the basement. Checked the salinity, it was at 1.005. The threadfin butterfly was breathing, but was upside down and stuff. The lion looked OK. The puffer was definately not himself. The other fishes was nowhere in sight. Increase the salinity back to 1.021 over 5 hours, and the temp to 77. Was able to confirm the flame angle, singapore angle, purple tang is still alive. Haven't seen the coral beauty or the maroon clown. Will see tommorow which fishes lived and which fishes didn't make it. Hope that the algae in the refugium can keep up with all the die off in the next week. Maybe I can sleep now.

Have a nice day - Ewe Chye
Old 04/27/2003, 01:59 AM
Colorado Reefer

Sorry to hear that Ewe!

If there is anything you need please dont hesitate to ask, we live only 5 minutes from each other!!

John

Play Halo 2? World of Warcraft? Send me a PM!

John Michael - President RMRC
Old 04/27/2003, 08:16 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

You might look into getting a electronic sprinkler timer from Lowe's.

Very handy and they do most of the thinking for you. Look around though. Home Depot has one but the max time on is only about 3 hours. The cheaper one at Lowe's will only go about 6 hours. The one for $30 will go all day if you need to make a large batch of RO water. The shorter times work OK for top-off, but if you need 30 gallons of RO water, you will need much more than that.

I am going to program mine to water RO daily for a set amount of time to cover some of the evaporation - Kalk for the rest.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 04/27/2003, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

Sorry

Sorry about that Ewe Chye. Sounds like you have a great system there. I want to do something similar, except for the overflow. I'm in Longmont also. I've heard your name around Aquasphere.

Wes
Old 05/01/2003, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Ewe Chye

Sorry to hear about your basement disaster.

We had traded some xenai and spaghetti algae several weeks ago. I got to check out your tank then and it was pretty sweet. On the bright side now you can go reef.

If you want any xenia or spaghetti algae (if it survives) let me know. I would be happy to give you some.

Shawn
Old 05/01/2003, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Hi there,
Thx for the support. The tank in up to temperature and salinity now. I lost the threadfin butterfly. The worst is unfortunately not over as the ammonia and nitrites levels are bad. I got some stuff to take care of the ammonia levels, and that's in check now, but the nitrites are through the roof. I'm current doing a 20% water change for that. A couple of fishes don't look good and might not make it through the cycle. We'll see what happens in a week or so.

Have a nice day - Ewe Chye