Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Chico Reef Club

Old 01/05/2008, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Rio PH Failure

Yeah I know... I've read all about them. But after six years in the hobby, finally had my failure. I suppose I should have know it was coming as the pump was having significant restart problems the past couple of days and I suppose the electrical system troubles haven't helped but Just a few hours ago my daughter actually said "daddy the water - come see the water." I didn't know what she ment as I saw she was still watching Little Mermaid but then the 29 gal tank caught my eye. I saw that the troubled Rio had started to spurt. But in addition to bubbles little black... i dunno... I suppose this is what fire/smoke looks like underwater, black strings from the pump electrical internals.

Whew... boy does this stuff stink. Siphoned the top layer of slime/oil/debris off and pulled the suspect PH out and letting it soak/cool in the bath sink. Turned the light off and have prepared a 25% (~7gal) water change but so far even the xenia is still pulsing. We'll see tomorrow but I think I finally got the smell out of the house or I'm just used to it by now.

So now as someone who was on the fence, I will never buy a rio again. Just my two cents. But if you search the internet, I imagine you can come up with so many two cents out there about these you can afford not to buy them anymore. (or if you do plan to replace them yearly) Ths one is at least three if not more years old.

Further I should add I was using my X10 controllers to cycle this an another small PH (ViaAqua) for 2 hours on/off cycling one on each side. This may have contributed to its demise. And I still have a Rio 50 pumping into my Phosphate Rx and I have a Taam Rio HF20 for my sump return. Both are still working. But for my upgrade to the 125 I plan to use a Reef Dart for the system return, etc and possibly run the phosphate rx off the return pump.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

my expereance with phoshate reactor is that they can't handle any back preasure or they leak out the o ring seal. So you can't put the reactor inling from pump to tank but you can "t" off the return pump and use a ball valve to divert some of the return to the reactor and then back to the sump. That's how I have mine setup but my 2 mag 9 pumps were a little to much and I had the tollet flush on my 220gal with both pumps at 100% return.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I was just going to use one big pump and divert some to the chiller, some for a potential recirc, and some to the other ancillary needs like the PO4 Rx or Ca Rx or Dinitrator or whatever I may end up putting on there so It will just be capped off for extension later. They would all just be allowed to return to the inlet area of the sump or somewhere nearby. Thanks for your input but I didn't understand your comment about the toilet flush and the 220Gal. Funny though.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

hey chris toilet flush is when the overflow fills up and then drains.it sounds like a toilet flushing.it is caused by having more flow than the overflow can handle.
125gal mixed reef tank
135gal cichlid,catfish tank
150gal peacock tank
Old 01/07/2008, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Ahhh.. I see now thanks. I was thinking it was like a one time event maybe slang for the tank crashing but now that makes sense. Especially since that's pretty much how a toilet works (unbeknownst to many people)

Hmm. If it eventually drains it sounds like an overflow design problem and not a too much flow. May need a larger overflow pipe. Dunno but as long as you're happy with the flow... more power to ya!
Old 01/10/2008, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

i've got a single mag 9 for my return. i love it. its been running nonstop for almost 3 yrs with only an occasional vinegar bath. i've heard the old rios were crapola,but i thought they figgered that out. i guess not.i hope my seios dont go like that.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Josh!

In a way, it is my own fault too. It was indicating to me that it was 'acting up' and I almost took it out but... imagine this, I got distracted with something! And further, I believe their higher end pumps haven't nearly had as many problems. To that end, I haven't heard online the ranting of the Rio Failures for over a year now. Maybe all those people learned or were too ashamed to mention it.

Like I said I've had that TAAM Rio HF20 as my sump return now for what a year, almost two. It stops for feeding when I want it and restarts everytime. No problem. Great pump for the cost and how much it pumps for the watts.

Occasional vinegar baths to a PH are like an oil change to your car IMHO. The more you take care of them the longer they will last. Plus they always seem to kick out about 10-25% more flow once cleaned. That being said some are just expected to have a longer operating life compared to others. (i.e. toyota)

I too had a Mag 9 that I ran outside for a closed loop with SQWD until the Mag casing broke. It put out A LOT of heat but then again, this was the first PH I ran outside of water. As far as quality cheaper internal (wet) pumps, I think Mag's are one of the best.