Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/16/2005, 11:48 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Top down pics.....getting better

I liked Marillion's thread so much, I decided to give the top down shots another try, so here goes:

Old 06/16/2005, 11:51 AM

a few more....

Old 06/16/2005, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Nice pic's. A couple of those look familiar. I didn't see them in your last "I got new corals" thread.

Red's will always look "redder" in top down pics. At least I've noticed this. Most of us have regular glass that has a slight green tint. That green makes the reds look slightly duller. If you look at a red color through a green light filter, it would look brown. So the slight green tint which most of us cannot notice affects the way the corals look when we look through the glass. The thicker the glass, the more noticeable it will be.
Also, since the corals strech out to the light, they reflect light up, back towards it. If you've ever noticed a blue clam viewed at eye level looks more purple. But as you slowly raise your eye level above the clam, it will start to look bluer, even through the glass. That's not a glass thing, but a reflection thing.(Real Technical there)

The hard part about taking top down shots is that the corals are usually toward the bottom of the tank. The closer they are to the camera, the better pics I can get.
Old 06/16/2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyO
Nice pic's. A couple of those look familiar. I didn't see them in your last "I got new corals" thread.

LOL Yeah, I had another business trip to western NY, so I figured I'd see if there were any new goodies. Plus, I had worked out some trades with JK. (SPS for LPS....The power of the Dark side is strong in me

I've noticed the same thing about the corals on the bottom. One thing I'm hoping will help is a better flash. I've got one on order but not sure how it will work since the place it plugs in to on the camera is covered by the plate used to mount to the tripod. I also need to figure out the manual focus. Sometimes the camera will "latch on" to something behind what I'm trying to shoot.