Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/07/2006, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

I just like them to have a tv snack , if they want, before bedtime, or whenever.

I snack between meals too.
Old 10/07/2006, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

OK oto lovers, by now you know I use the stuff but I am not enamored with it, just the best choice as I see it although I hold it at 30% of the diet. Far too wastefull IMO. Sinks WAYYYY to fast. Basically I hate he stuff but what's a breeder to do

Well I'll throw you a bone... I have 15 day old orchid dottyback larvae and I'm short on rots, feeling desperate. I passed some oto A thru a 125um screen and what fell through they went crazy for, macked it down in no time flat That is pretty cool
Old 10/08/2006, 01:01 PM
Moved On

My oto never sinks. My fish eat it before it gets to the bottom or to the drain. Perhaps my SG is a little higher than yours, David. Today I'm at 29 ppt, usually at 27 ppt.
Old 10/08/2006, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

I don't get it, I am at the same salinity as you, the stuff might as well be made of lead in my tanks. Are you turning off pumps when you feed so there is no current? Even when I tried that as soon as 400 1" clowns hit the surface it all goes down. I wouldn't care except my stupid fish won't eat off the bottom. I'm certain I siphon out and toss far more than actually gets eaten. I think this is part of why I'm so hung up on CE, it stays neutrally bouyant until every last morsel is eaten. I guess this a case of YMMV ?
Old 10/08/2006, 07:29 PM
Moved On

I am feeding B2 and C1 right now. Perhaps you are giving C2?
Old 10/10/2006, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

I never have a problem with my Oto sinking either.
Just a thought, What's the average humidity there or more specifically the humidity in the room where the oto is stored.
I'm wondering if the higher humidity is seeping into the oto thus making it much less buoyant?
Old 10/10/2006, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

The larger the particle,the more it sinks.
But IME Oto is a very good floater,Zeigler is more sinker.It also help to spread it slowly rather than merely dump it.
Old 10/10/2006, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
I don't get it, I am at the same salinity as you, the stuff might as well be made of lead in my tanks. Are you turning off pumps when you feed so there is no current? Even when I tried that as soon as 400 1" clowns hit the surface it all goes down. I wouldn't care except my stupid fish won't eat off the bottom. I'm certain I siphon out and toss far more than actually gets eaten. I think this is part of why I'm so hung up on CE, it stays neutrally bouyant until every last morsel is eaten. I guess this a case of YMMV ?
Sinks for me as well, once the surface tension is broken. Not as quickly as others I've tried, but it does and I could definitly see that as a trait most wouldn't want (waste).
Old 10/10/2006, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Hey GreshamH ,

could it be possible to attach little pices of styro foam to the pellets so they can float until the fish decide to eat?
Old 10/10/2006, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

I'm sure you could top coat them with styro grindings, then the fish would be more like WC ladden with pollution The fish might have a hard time sinking on their own then, well, until they pass the styro that is
Old 10/10/2006, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

I am in tears
Old 10/10/2006, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

I donīt know about the styro but Kathy has been using some fish oil coating to attach the Naturose.
Maybe oil coating is a way to keep it floating.
Anderson.
Old 10/10/2006, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
Sinks for me as well, once the surface tension is broken. Not as quickly as others I've tried, but it does and I could definitly see that as a trait most wouldn't want (waste).
Sure,the surface tension keeps them afloat for a while.Thatīs perfect to me,if they floated longer it would go to the overflow.
For my larval shrimp experiments,I need them to sink,not to float.So I must shake them in a vial with a little water beforehand.
Old 10/10/2006, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

As it is impossible to buy any live rotifers in my country (i.e. Hong Kong), can I solely feed Otohime to my Tomato clownfish larvae at the very beginning. If it is possible, should I buy A or B-1?

thanks
Old 10/10/2006, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluecircle
As it is impossible to buy any live rotifers in my country (i.e. Hong Kong), can I solely feed Otohime to my Tomato clownfish larvae at the very beginning. If it is possible, should I buy A or B-1?

thanks
A
Old 10/10/2006, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dman
A
Thanks Dman
That means I can feed the newly born Tomato clownfish larvae with Otohime A.
Old 10/11/2006, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

NO guarantee's it'll work, but it is slightly better than the alternatives IMHO.
Old 10/11/2006, 04:47 AM
Registered Member

Bluecircle you can buy the cycsts from Fla Aqua Farms through the mail, no problem on mailing them to HK. You CAN have rotis there.

Not knocking oto but rotis are available to you there. If you go with oto get the smallest then use a mortar and pestle and make it smaller, some at least.
Old 10/11/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jake levi
Bluecircle you can buy the cycsts from Fla Aqua Farms through the mail, no problem on mailing them to HK. You CAN have rotis there.

Not knocking oto but rotis are available to you there. If you go with oto get the smallest then use a mortar and pestle and make it smaller, some at least.
thanks jake levi
I will follow your opinion and order the cycsts from Floride Aua Farms.
Old 10/11/2006, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluecircle

thanks
Not only will many companies ship live rot's to HK, many local breeders are more then willing to share I've had "S" sent to me from HK from a hobbyist.
Old 10/17/2006, 07:55 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Luis A M
Something amazing happened and I donīt know if I can give Otohime all or part of the credit
It never happens,but this time I had both my S and L rots crashing just when a nice batch of ocellaris had just hatched.Options of killing the larvae or let them starve were not acceptable
So I gave them 48hrs enriched bs and Otohime A.
The fish are fine,even if I canīt believe it!
DETAILS, We need details, please kind sir!
Old 10/18/2006, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy55g
DETAILS, We need details, please kind sir!
Simple as that,I had no rots,so they were fed 48hr enriched bs once a day and Otohime A 3 times a day.Plus some IA,I donīt know why.
Survival and growth was good.
So life without rots was possible after all!.And ocellaris are rather small larvae,as clowns go.
It must have been the Otohime.I guess bbs as a first clown food was tried many times unsuccessfully
Old 10/18/2006, 09:06 AM
Moved On

Ok, thanks. Today I am giving them the last of the rotifers, along with a sprinkling of OtoA 3 times a day with siphoning an hour later, and NHBS tonight if they hatch.... I just turned the temp down to 81 last night. They are 4 days old today... We will see. Very few dead so far. I hope I don't get a bunch of misbars.
Old 10/18/2006, 10:57 AM
Hog Obsessed

I have successfully raised a large batch of Ocellaris on bbs only. No rots whatsoever. But Ive only done this once because the chances are too slime on success and it was because my rots crashed on me at that time. I had a post on it a year or so ago.
As for this Otohime I really like it so far. Best damn thing Ive tried on post morph clowns to prevent deaths and to get them off brine.
Old 10/22/2006, 07:54 AM
Moved On

Metamophosis starting on day 8. They haven't had rotifers since day 4. Seem to be fine. Very few deaths.