Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 09/14/2006, 01:13 AM
Moved On

9-14-06, just after 1:00 AM - we have HUNDREDS if not THOUSDANDS of BABY Apogon leptacanthus!

It went down like this...the male "looked" ready..no other way to describe it...but it's only be 6+ days. I chased him around inside the rockwork for a while. Eventually I had him cornered...his back was turned and he was chewing emphatically...I thought maybe he was EATING the eggs. He turned around and spit a CLOUD of larvae at me...imagine what a goby does and magnify it from a couple dozen larvae to at least SEVERAL HUNDRED!

It took me 2-3 seconds to realize I needed to shut down ALL the pumps..MOST of the larvae bolted straight for the surface. I took my 1/2 gallon specimen cup and skimmed a 3 gallon bucket's worth of water off the surface. The larvae and their water were then siphoned rapidly into the 10 gallon tank.

I went back for 2nds as there were still PLENTY of larvae around and I can say with confidence that they are only weakly positively phototrophic at best. SO, I set about siphoning out another 3 gallons of water from the main tank, getting as many larvae as I could along the way. They are going into the larval tank via a SLOW siphon as I'm hurrying to mix up new water while a lot of Xenia and SPS are sitting out to dry!!!

More later!

Matt
Old 09/14/2006, 01:49 AM
Moved On

OK, I'm going to guess I maybe got 2/3 of the spawn at best...the Bangaii's are munching away on the larvae I missed. MOST of the larvae are sitting on the bottom of the larval tank at this point but otherwise look FINE. The 2nd 3 gallon bucket of larvae is still slowly siphoning in; In the meantime I sat down with the QX5 (THANKS AGAIN TO MY ANONYMOUS DONOR!) and got some good shots (and a vid) of NEWLY released APOGON LEPTACANTHUS LARVAE!

10X

60X

200X

And finally, the video at 200X - about 45 seconds long, .avi format, 15 MB.

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/AL_0_8.avi

-----

My battle plan is this - SS Rots + newly harvested Tetraselmis, T-Iso and Nanno. I might try bringing the temp up to 82F...the broodstock tank was probably at 77F.

FWIW,

Matt
Old 09/14/2006, 02:13 AM
Moved On

OK, 6 gallons of tank water, several hundred leptacanthus larvae, 1 L worth of SS Rots (strained of course), 0.5 liters each of T-Iso, Tetra and Nano - we're set! I harvested another 1L of SS Rots for overnight enrichment with Selcon - those will go in tomorrow AM at some point.

FWIW,

Matt
Old 09/14/2006, 06:43 AM
Moved On

Awesome!
Old 09/14/2006, 11:11 AM
Moved On

I added in the enriched SS Rotifers. I pulled out ONE larvae this morning to see if they have been feeding since I collected them (I left the light on overnight last night, just to encourage immediate feeding).

It looks to me like the apparent answer is that at least this particular larvae has not yet fed at 10 hours post release.

Two Short Vids
http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/AL_10_6.avi

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/AL_10_7.avi

FWIW,

MP
Old 09/14/2006, 10:30 PM
Moved On

10:30 this evening I added more rotifers. Around 4:00 PM I harvested 1L of SS and 12 basters of L-Strain and enriched with 2 drops selcon...the water was already clear and the rotifers were very active, so in the tank they went.

Just keeping my fingers crossed at this point.

Matt
Old 09/15/2006, 09:12 AM
Moved On

Overnight the tank Bloomed Rotifers - it had almost competely cleared out. So, another 1L of mixed algae (T-Iso, Nano, Tetra) was added. I also added in 1 gallon of clean water. I have room for maybe one more algae + clean water addition before I have to start doing water changes!

With so many rotifers in the tank, it was hard to get any good idea of a cardinalfish headcount. It looked like there were significantly fewer, but there are NO bodies on the bottom to confirm that.

Matt
Old 09/15/2006, 12:44 PM
Moved On

Funny, they look like gobies to me....
Old 09/15/2006, 12:46 PM
Moved On

Really, good luck with these guys. this may be your big batch.
Old 09/15/2006, 09:36 PM
Moved On

Kathy, I think you and Renee jinxed it!

Seriously, it looks like we had a big larval dieoff. At least 100, maybe 200 on the bottom. On the flipside, there's probably that many swimming around...maybe more.

It's roughly 45 hours post release, so approaching the end of day 2. I pulled out one living larvae to see what's going on and was surprised to find they are DEFINITELY feeding and it LOOKS like they're eating rotifers. It's gonna be 2 posts, take a look at all the pictures and if you want, there's a 30 second, 11.75 MB vid (.avi) as well.

10X

60X

200X

Old 09/15/2006, 09:37 PM
Moved On

200X

Video - http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/AL_45_12.avi

I'd love any feedback you al l might have.

Matt
Old 09/16/2006, 09:26 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Matt,

You are starting to get dangerous with that microscope! Nice stomach shots. What would you say is the size difference between a newly hatched Apogon leptacanthus vs the mandarin larvae?

Brian
Old 09/16/2006, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Matt this is great news.

Sure looks like a nice full gut.

I also am curious as to the larvae size compared to others, mandarins, gobies, jawfish et als.

Those are real nice pics, one of these days, in your spare time, do a long piece on your equipment and its use, feel free to take up all the site space you need .
Old 09/16/2006, 12:42 PM
Moved On

Well, the leptacanthus larvae "LOOK" small because they're "all head" with a long whippy tail. Here's some larval lengths as I've been able to determine using the QX5 Pictures

Apogon leptacanthus - 2.5 mm on release
Elactinus multifasciatus - approx 3mm, maybe more
Priolepis hipoliti - 1.75 mm
Synchiropus splendidus - 1.75 mm newly hatched
Synchiropus splendidus - 2 mm after 10-14 days

Around 11:30 AM today I added in .5 L Tetraselmis and .5 L T-Iso; all my nano cutlures are immature and not ready for harvestings now.

It looks like there was more larval die off, but still like there are MANY viable larvae swimming around.

FWIW,

Matt
Old 09/16/2006, 04:36 PM
Moved On

Alrighty, around 4:30 I added in 0.5 L Tetraselmis and 0.5 L T-Iso again as I have to head out of town tonight and won't return until tomorrow afternoon - that'll have to hold 'em over.

The leptacanthus larvae ALSO now have to share their digs with 167 Mandarin larvae!

MP
Old 09/16/2006, 09:00 PM
Moved On

Quote:
[i]

...Around 11:30 AM today I added in .5 L Tetraselmis and .5 L T-Iso; all my nano cutlures are immature and not ready for harvestings now.
...FWIW,

Matt [/B]
Why you should always have some nano paste frozen in cubes in the freezer.
Old 09/17/2006, 10:08 PM
Moved On

I know, I know, I need some frozen algae around This evening, they had to do with another .75 L of Tetraselmis (the tank water was again clear). No new larval deaths that I noticed...there's still a bunch in there.

Here's some pics and a vid - these are 93 hours post-release.

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/nanoreef/AL_93_8.avi
Old 09/19/2006, 12:08 AM
Moved On

Alrighty, another round of pics. These were shot just before 12:00 AM on 9-19, 119 hour post release.

Old 09/19/2006, 12:10 AM
Moved On

continued from prior post...

I want to say we're maybe down to 10 or 20 larvae, but with so many mandarins and rotifers in there it's really hard to tell.

Matt
Old 09/19/2006, 01:51 AM
Moved On

I removed 3+ gallons of water this evening via two slow airline siphons, then into a 120 micron seive, followed by a 10 micron seive until ultimately into the bucket.

On the leptacanthus front, I managed to collect at least 3-4 larvae alive, + at least another 4-6 that were dead. I don't believe this is a function of siphoning off live larvae only to have them die on the seive as it quickly developed a little "puddle" in it where water collected before filtering through. I can't be 100% sure though. On the flipside, I only collected 3 or 4 mandarin larvae, all who made it through into the seive and still alive.

My motivation for doing this water change was the rotifer density...it was probably 25-30 rotifers per ML. I'm frustrated that it appears that I will now have to do daily water changes to keep the rotifer population under control while at the same time keeping them enriched and thus nutritious! What a PAIN IN THE REAR when dealing with larvae this small!

I'm going to add only 1 gallon of clean water tonight and perhaps some phyto...tomorrow I'll probably draw out another 3 and replace with more clean water. Basically, I'm hoping to simply bring the tank's general "running volume" at 5 gallons vs. 8-10...it seems like the only reasonable way to keep the rotifers and phyto needs in check at the moment.

Matt
Old 09/19/2006, 02:01 AM
Moved On

Alrighty, so I did hit some of the "older" cultures (last full harvest 4 days ago) and added in 300 ML in total of Tet, Nan and T-Iso in equal portions, + 5 or so drops of Reed's Phytofeast Live. I'm sure this will likely get used up REALLY quickly, although looking through the tank from end-to-end it is not yet at the "crystal clear" state anyway (but pretty darn close)

Matt
Old 09/19/2006, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

I've never seen this species at the LFS, and they look great!! I wish you the best of luck; I've been following every thread you make and you blow me away with your dedication and mad skillz with breeding fish. Once again, best of luck and I will be following this thread for sure.

Adam
Old 09/19/2006, 11:49 AM
Moved On

So 2 gallons came out, this time 5 Apogon leptacanthus larvae showed up in the seive, but none were dead. 1 gallon of clean water + 750 ML Nannochloropsis and 750 ML T-Iso are being slowly added back into the tank now.

Matt
Old 09/19/2006, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Wow Matt!Your pics are awesome as always,no,they´re getting even better.I want to believe that your x5 was much improved over my old x3,or to accept I´m just lousy with it!
We can clearly see green things in the 93 hr larva´s gut that were not present in the 45 hr.These must be algae filled rotifers.
Then the 119 hr show a reddish compact ball close to the cloaca?

I wouldn´t add NAN paste here,just do without.
Or even,as a feeding test,feed just T-ISO and see if the larval gut content changes from green to dark.

Put a sieve in the larval tank and siphon from within,so larvae won´t be sucked.

25-30 rot/ml is not that bad,if NH3 is OK.But they will keep rising until your larval tank becomes a rot culture.Partial water changes won´t make a dent in their numbers.Reducing algal input is out of question.You have two ways to solve it.Massive changes,like open circulation,or use a rotifer collector.I made mine with a Tetra foam filter,replacing the foam with a 200 mic mesh and discharging the outlet into a rot sieve. Hope that helps.
Old 09/19/2006, 01:06 PM
Moved On

Luis, I like the idea of a "rotifer collector" but the problem lies with the size of the fish larvae themselves. I'm glad to see that you understand my "conundrum"! My main issue is the larvae are already getting sucked into the siphon for water changing..any type of "filter" will no doubt trap many fish larvae as well!

I wish I had some sort of open system, but we have to crack it with a 10 gallon tank, buckets and siphons!

Matt