Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2005, 12:23 AM
Moved On

I wish you could send them to me, too! Your latest pix look like full bellied larvae to me! Keep it up, you are doing fine!
Kathy
Old 12/24/2005, 03:59 AM
Premium Member

These are really cool pics. Not sure if this has been asked, but what camera are you using?

Can I stand in line too please?

Steve
Old 12/24/2005, 11:57 AM
Just another crazy

Thanks everyone, don't think they would make it all the way to you Steve. I just got a Canon EOS 20-D with a 100 macro lens last month I am sure that if I knew what I was doing with it thw pics could be much better.

Mike
Old 12/24/2005, 05:28 PM
Just another crazy

Day 4 looks like about a dozen left some have really nice full bellies and are swiming like crazy. Heres day 4.

Mike
Old 12/24/2005, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

I've gotta tag along Nice job so far! BTW did you buy a mated pair or did they finally start getting along? I have 2 Clarkii and one jumped into the anemone within the first 30 sec. of being introduced to the tank. It has been defending that spot from the other ever since
Old 12/25/2005, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

nice pics keepim coming
Old 12/25/2005, 11:22 AM
Just another crazy

Victoly just got a couple maroons and they paired up they were both pretty small when I got them. No more pics from this batch checked this morning and don't see any more alive must of did something wrong but we will try again next batch of eggs should hatch new years eve.

Mike
Old 12/25/2005, 08:39 PM
Moved On

Sorry to hear that, but keep trying! When you own the parents, there is always another hatch!
Old 12/25/2005, 09:08 PM
Just another crazy

I found one healty baby, must of been hiding well I looked but I would still like to try and catch the next hatch if he stays alive. What would be a good thing to do with him?

Mike
Old 12/25/2005, 10:03 PM
Just another crazy

Day 5, one left.

Mike
Old 12/25/2005, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

one left wow!

Name him Lucky if he makes it through the growing
Old 12/26/2005, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Good luck with the next hatch.... The best part is you have an almost limitless supply of opportunities!
Old 12/26/2005, 02:59 AM
Moved On

Lucky is looking good!

On Saltwaterfish.com, there is a Guy named Guy who documented his first clownfish breeding, and had one Lucky left as you do. He named him little Nemo.

Lone survivors have great personality!
Old 12/26/2005, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the loss, but good luck with this one and the next batches.

Steve
Old 12/26/2005, 02:35 PM
Just another crazy

Can I leave the one in the tank and add the new ones?

Mike
Old 12/26/2005, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

tagging along! i have a pair of ocelaris that are starting to sex, so i want to learn as much as i can so i can hopefully learn to raise and feed the hatch.
Old 12/27/2005, 12:14 AM
Just another crazy

Heres some pics of Nemo on day 6.

Hi jebar777, we can learn together. Thanks for all the concerns guys and gals but I am still fired up got one left and he is lookin happy. Any ideas on what I can do with him when the next hatch comes new years eve?

Mike
Old 12/27/2005, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Wow!

Great info and pics. I currently have a mating pair of clowns and actually missed the first hatch becuase I fell asleep. My clowns spawned for the second time on XMAS...I have my rots and green water brewing right now.

Long live Nemo....

I wonder why you are loosing so many? I'm sure I will not be able to keep one alive now.. Does the water go bad quickly as you feed them? How are you changing the water in the tank?
Old 12/27/2005, 01:37 PM
Just another crazy

Nemo didn't make it. Mtraylor I am doing allot of things wrong I think. I did change some water but maybe not enough. I don't really know if I have rots I have allot of something but untill I get my new microscope I can't be sure. One thing for sure the little net thing that they sent with the kit would not catch what I have the mesh is way to big. I was just dumping some of the water from the jugs into the tank that is problably a bad thing too. It is cool to try and I don't like the failure even my wife feels bad. But we will try again on new years eve do some things a little different and see what happens. I don't have green water I have been using the food I got in the kit not really sure if thats good either. Just way to many experiments going on at one time I guess. Good luck on your efforts.

Mike
Old 12/27/2005, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Oh no... Sorry to hear that...
I felt real bad when I went to bed and lost all the eggs that I was ooh so waiting on... WEll I got my kit from Florida Aqua Farms... They are very nice and very knowledgable...Great customer service. I got some net thinging to capture the rotifers in, its a green cylinder with a net in the bottom...but I dont know how well this works yet...I will know soon and tell you. They informed me to never pour from the water the rotifers are in because its too dirty and will kill the fish..

They wrote a book on raising clown fish and there is another book i"m going to go look for this evening called "CLOWNFISHES by Joyce Wilkerson". I have been doing allot of reading trying to get ready for these clown fishes and your documentary is great. Allot of things I wanted to try, you have been there and done that. Keep up the good work.
Old 12/27/2005, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

Joyce's book is great. I also highly recommend Kmleah's greenwater method. Now that she helped me, my greenwater is thriving. I'm at day 10 with my first hatch, 25+ still kicking. I just switched to baby brine shrimp, so I think most of the hard stuff is over.

I'm new to this also, so feel free to learn from my mistakes in my thread too, "Clarkii Rearing (No Rotifers)". I dropped the "no rotifer" part after hearing the survival rates from dry food. My next hatch will probably happen tomorrow night, and since I have good cultures of greenwater and rotifers, I'm going to try for two batchs at once.

Good luck!

Jason
Old 12/27/2005, 09:33 PM
Moved On

I'm glad the method of growing phyto is working for you, as it does for me, but it is not really my method. Ediaz (Edgar) told me how to do it. I learned stuff from this forum too.

Kathy
Old 12/28/2005, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

Oops, sorry Edgar I pay particular attention to his posts too Kathy, you just beat him to the punch with the phyto plan. I'll be happy when I've got more years under my belt so I can be informative (rather than an information sponge).

Soooo, thanks Ediaz, it works wonderfully!

Jason
Old 12/31/2005, 09:21 PM
Just another crazy

I caught another fifty or so last night. Wierd thing all the eggs didn't hatch I looked tonight when I got home and there are still a few left. Maybe I will get some more but I don't have any rots to feed them anyways so its still the dry food test I guess. I did oder some instant algae boy is that stuff strange kinda like green oil. I froze most of it they say it will last a long long time that way and I ordered one of those collection cups and some more rot cysts so I should be ready for the next time. Mine are on a eleven day cycle. I can use this instant algae to start green water cultures if I want to too can't I?

Mike
Old 12/31/2005, 11:05 PM
Moved On

Unfortunately, instant algae is not alive. You can enrich the rots with it, grow the rots with it, use it in the larval tank to keep the rots nutritious, but....

The great advantage of live phyto is that when you add it to the larval tank, it doesn't die until it's consumed by the rots, so it keeps the rots nutritious, and helps the larvae find food like instant algae, but the difference is that it doesn't rot and foul the water, and it
helps to absorb ammonia!!!!!!

I've been using instant algae to grow and enrich the rots, but keeping a culture of phyto alive in addition to add to the larval tank.

Unfortunately, you cannot grow a culture from instant algae. It's dead. I've heard that it is very difficult to culture even DT's anymore. Best to find a friend with a live culture or order some. Then culture your own.

Good luck with those eggs, Mike! They will probably hatch tonight! Happy New Year!