Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/28/2007, 10:18 PM
Here comes the Gators

What causes...?

What causes soft corals to not extend as much and to shrivel over time? I have noticed my yellow star polyps, some zoos and my leather toadstool to slowly shrink. Its really bothering me. I at first thought it was chemicle warfare being caused by my green Haddoni but I sold that and still, no conditions have improved.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 04/28/2007, 10:26 PM
Flea Slide

Most of the time is water quality. Without parameters is difficult to know.
Old 04/28/2007, 11:01 PM
Here comes the Gators

Nitrates-0
Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0
Phosphates-.03
pH-7.8
Alk-3 meq/L
Calc-500

I know my calc is high but it has been pretty stable.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 04/28/2007, 11:35 PM
Here comes the Gators

So, is my water quality really that bad or what?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 04/28/2007, 11:46 PM
Flea Slide

Things looks Ok but the PH. Try increasing your alkalinity to a range of 3.5 to 4.0 meq/lt to maintain the PH more stable, do not dose any calcium for a while until it drops to around 420. Check your temperature and try keeping it around 79* F
If you can get outside air for your skimmer and if you have a refugium try reverse lighting cycle
Old 04/29/2007, 12:25 AM
reef obsessed

jdieck is the man, but I've found opening the windows and letting fresh air into your house can be a simple pH fix. In most cases it's built up CO2 that's causing the depressed pH. I agree with the calcium being too high. Do as j says and let it fall on its own. What salt mix are you using?

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm
Old 04/29/2007, 01:33 PM
Here comes the Gators

Thanks a lot to both of you. I really appreciate it.

I am using Oceanic salt. I heard thats high in calcium. Maybe that explains my high parameters of calc?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 04/29/2007, 01:52 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Thanks a lot to both of you. I really appreciate it.

I am using Oceanic salt. I heard thats high in calcium. Maybe that explains my high parameters of calc?
Yes that will explain it and you may need to switch salts to get into a more normal level if your calcium consumption is not that high. If you have good consumption you can still use Oceanic but you can not use a two part or a balanced addition supplement without increasing the alkalinity part and reducing the Calcium part, In other words you can not use Kalk or a Caclium Carbonate reactor when using Oceanic.
Old 04/29/2007, 05:00 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
Yes that will explain it and you may need to switch salts to get into a more normal level if your calcium consumption is not that high. If you have good consumption you can still use Oceanic but you can not use a two part or a balanced addition supplement without increasing the alkalinity part and reducing the Calcium part, In other words you can not use Kalk or a Caclium Carbonate reactor when using Oceanic.
Wow, thanks for the information on Oceanic salt. I had no idea that using this brand of salt would limit myself of what I could do with my tank. Is there a certain brand you would recommend me to use?

Thanks

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 04/29/2007, 06:44 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the information on Oceanic salt. I had no idea that using this brand of salt would limit myself of what I could do with my tank. Is there a certain brand you would recommend me to use?

Thanks
As your tank is a reef, I have found after testing Oceanic, Kent, Tropic Marin, Tropic Marin Pro, Instant Ocean and RC that the most balanced salt when mixed at 1.025 to 1.026 is Reef Crystals.
Old 04/29/2007, 06:57 PM
Here comes the Gators

Next time I do a water change, I will be getting reef crystals.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 04/29/2007, 07:04 PM
Flea Slide

I'm sure you will like the results.
Old 04/29/2007, 07:24 PM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

Ifg you are looking on a salt that is not swinging in the levels and is right on the money, go with tropic marine or pro
Old 04/29/2007, 07:28 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by asmodeus
Ifg you are looking on a salt that is not swinging in the levels and is right on the money, go with tropic marine or pro
Do is it contain balance levels of calcium and alkalinity? What is the difference between tropic marine and pro?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 04/29/2007, 07:58 PM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

the difference in pro and the regular stuff is not alot

in a nut shell alot much natural elements

here is the brief talk about pro

The unique beauty and variety of a coral reef fascinates more and more hobbyists. The growing popularity and success of the marine hobby is closely connected to the brand Tropic Marin. For nearly 40 years now, Tropic Marin has provided a true-to-life sea salt of the highest purity. New breakthroughs achieved by marine scientists and by advanced hobbyists, in combination with our own research have resulted in a continuous improvement of the Tropic Marin sea salt.

Modern technical equipment and new biochemical methods have helped to ease the successful keeping of reef aquaria at home.

The use of kalk reactors and additives strongly affects the water chemistry, which requires an adjustment of the sea salt. Only in considering the combination of all influences, can optimum conditions be created that are both natural and stable.

This new sea salt, Tropic Marin PRO-REEF is adjusted to the specific requirements of modern reef tanks: optimized calcium and magnesium concentrations promote coral growth and ease the care of even very sensitive hard corals. With Tropic Marin PRO-REEF, the buffering system and pH-level have been especially adapted to stabilize the natural water conditions and to accommodate the use of calcium supplements or calcium reactors.

PRO-REEF was tested successfully in our in-house research facility and also in the aquaria of advanced reef hobbyists. It forms the ideal biosphere for delicate invertebrates, especially hard corals.

PRO-REEF is produced under the same principles of highest quality as the proven Tropic Marin sea salt:

Manufactured from pure, pharmaceutical grade salts, free from nitrates, phosphates and other unwanted chemicals.
Contains all major and all 70 trace elements in the exact proportions found in tropical sea water.
Production under scientific supervision in the most modern facilities designed for the preparation of high-purity pharmaceuticals.
Perfect solubility and highest homogeneity of the mixture.
Old 04/29/2007, 08:04 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Do is it contain balance levels of calcium and alkalinity? What is the difference between tropic marine and pro?
Tropic Marin Pro has higher content of Calcium and Magnesium than Tropic Marin. In general it is a good salt although not my preference. After testing 7 buckets both have levels of Alkalinity in the 2.5 to 2.7 meq/lt when my preference will be around 3.5 to 3.7 meq/lt, that is not a problem as a bit of baking soda can correct it but I also noted a couple of other things on it I did not like. First the granularity of the mix seems not to allow for a uniform mixing of the salt components, in other words within the same bucket you can get different ratios of Calcium, Alkalinity or Magnesium as the components are not equally mixed throughout the bucket. Second I noticed a Magnesium level a bit higher than I would like 1400 to 1450 ppm when my usual target is 1300 ppm. Also depending on where you get it it is easier to find RC on sale at a lower price than the TM pro.

Last edited by jdieck; 04/29/2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04/29/2007, 08:19 PM
Flea Slide

Double dip post
Old 04/29/2007, 10:13 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
Tropic Marin Pro has higher content of Calcium and Magnesium than Tropic Marin. In general it is a good salt although not my preference. After testing 7 buckets both have levels of Alkalinity in the 2.5 to 2.7 meq/lt when my preference will be around 3.5 to 3.7 meq/lt, that is not a problem as a bit of baking soda can correct it but I also noted a couple of other things on it I did not like. First the granularity of the mix seems not to allow for a uniform mixing of the salt components, in other words within the same bucket you can get different ratios of Calcium, Alkalinity or Magnesium as the components are not equally mixed throughout the bucket. Second I noticed a Magnesium level a bit higher than I would like 1400 to 1450 ppm when my usual target is 1300 ppm. Also depending on where you get it it is easier to find RC on sale at a lower price than the TM pro.
Thanks for the insight on it. Do you know what parameters RC provides such as calcium, alkalinity and magnesium?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 04/29/2007, 10:16 PM
Here comes the Gators

Anyways, do you think switching the salt from Oceanic to RC will actually make a difference in my reef tank. Will the pH stabilize to normal levels and will my soft corals such as my zoos improve?

Thanks

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 04/30/2007, 12:54 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Anyways, do you think switching the salt from Oceanic to RC will actually make a difference in my reef tank. Will the pH stabilize to normal levels and will my soft corals such as my zoos improve?

Thanks
When mixed at natural sea water salinity 1.0265 RC will give you Calcium between 410 and 430, Alkalinity of 11 dKh and Magnesium of 1300 to 1350 ppm.
The diference is that it will be easier to maintain a balanced Calcium and Alkalinity, that stability shall result into improved environment for all criters in your tank. Will it be noticeable and how much? difficult to know as there might be many other things that can influence wellbeing.
Old 04/30/2007, 09:32 PM
Here comes the Gators

jdieck, thanks for the info. BTW, funny avatar.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 05/01/2007, 12:43 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
jdieck, thanks for the info. BTW, funny avatar.
From one monkey to another
Old 05/01/2007, 06:19 PM
Here comes the Gators

Haha

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 05/02/2007, 09:21 PM
Here comes the Gators

I checked last night and my pH is back up to 8.1 again. I am still seeing my zoos and yellow polyps declining. They are peeling off the rock and the xenia's growth has slowed down too.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 05/02/2007, 09:47 PM
Flea Slide

Any chances of some quemicals getting in the water? Have you tried running some activated carbon? What is your salinity level and how are you testing for it?