Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/27/2006, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Hi Walter

I am figuring a 5-6" depth, thats with my rock 'caves' a bit more then half buried, two of these in the 29 plus several other pilings of stones to make ledge caves. The other caves are dome shaped rocks molded over round piles of damp sand. It should give a pretty good sized undersand cavern, I actually made them for Tomato clowns. Inside at the base is about 8" dai. Next batch I am making some smaller dia ones, probably 4-5" dia.
Old 09/27/2006, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltwaterfishlover
My only regret is that it is under iwasaki's so thats why it looks so yellow
Better?

Old 09/27/2006, 08:41 PM
Optimistic Pessimist

wow looks good...my jaws had a 5lb a week rubble habbit... I would buy rubble weekly to keep them happy... I started with a 4 inch sand bed.... I ended up with an 8inch rubble /sand bed

Who's Mike and why is it his fault?
Old 09/27/2006, 09:45 PM
Moved On

Now that's devotion!
Old 09/28/2006, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

I scraped away the substrate this morn for a 2nd cave, right now there is a tiny bit on the botttom and the sand comes up 6" halfway up the side of the caves. Monday I'll be adding the rubble from a sampler tray from Dick Perrins to the tank. And a couple soft corals, there is some coraline rock and Caulerpa Mexicana in it now. Hopefully by the end of oct it'll be ready for some jawfish.
Old 10/17/2006, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I saw a new to me jawfish yesterday, the store had just the one, and I dont particularly trust them, but it was attractive, labeled a Bali Tiger Jawfish,

seemed a bit shorter body then others I've seen. A very attractive fish. Their price was higer then others I've seen there.

anyone kept these ?

The tank I set up for them has passed through its blooms, all parameters checking out well, and it ahs several soft corals in it, I half buried two of my 'caves 'they may be a bit big for them, they are about 6" dia on the bottom inside, theres also several rock ledges in the tank,

I was about ready to get yellow heads for it until I saw these.
Old 10/17/2006, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Is this the fish you saw ?
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/jaw.../tigerjawfish/
Anderson.
Old 10/17/2006, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Hi Anderson
yes, but the fish is much more attractive then this picture, the dark on the face had reddish brown in it, the stripes were darker with the brown, it was stressed, the twit of the store owner had it in a tank with a sprinkling of sugar sand on the bottom and no hiding places, I really felt sorry for it.

It seemed to be about 25% higher priced then their yellow heads which isnt prohibitive.
Old 10/17/2006, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

I was wondering how I could be sure to get my jawfish to eat...I bought him last Friday and I have yet to see him eat anything...he spends almost the whole day under a couple of different rocks in my aquarium...how can I be sure that he is getting food?
Old 10/18/2006, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

You've got several dominant fish that may be getting the food before your jawfish can eat, you could try 'gently' squirting some to his place under the rocks. Some jawfish take several days to feel secure enough to start eating.
Old 10/18/2006, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

I only have one damsel and it's smaller than jawfish and not yet very aggressive. Last night he began to swim sporadically around. I have begun to aerate the water a little more and he's calmed down, but I still don't know if he's going to be okay.
Old 10/18/2006, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

You show a sergent major and a maroon clown, plus a lionfish, all are more dominant then a jawfish.
Old 10/18/2006, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

sorry...i haven't updated my profile..I went to college and tore down my old tank..this is a new tank that I currently have set up
Old 11/27/2006, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jake levi
You show a sergent major and a maroon clown, plus a lionfish, all are more dominant then a jawfish.
Jake, Martin,

Thank you for your comments and advice in setting up a new tank for breeding yellowheaded jawfish.

October 19, 2006 I turned filters/lights on a new 37 gal 20"x18"x24"high tank. After putting in 8" of 4mm crushed coral/live sand there was space for only 26 gal of water. The filters are a protein skimmer and an under gravel with a pump set to reverse flow close to 200 galons per hour.

Lighting is supplied by an 80 watt compact florescent fixture, enough for the soft corals/mushrooms/culerpa that decorate the tank. When algae started I added six snails.

There is zero ammonia and nitrites. Ph is 8.2, specific gravity is 1.022, temperature is 77F.

I believe everything is set for the jawfish! Does anybody know if any are available tank reared? I'd like to start off with six juveniles and hope to get at least one pair out of them. Otherwize, I'll get them from my local fish store. If all continues well, the fish will be in my tank by the middle of December.

Thank again for all the help I got at this web site.

Walterb
Old 11/27/2006, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Bali tiger jawfish are quite docile fish and much more affordable here in Singapore (maybe only USD $5-$6). However I noticed they do get quite large as I've seen large specimens before so just take note.