Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 01/15/2006, 02:07 PM
Moved On

Congrats on your most recent hatch, and may the force be with you too. :-)
Old 01/15/2006, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Kathy, I do like the new screen name better.

I'm finding that two tanks full of babies aren't that much more work than one really. More work yes, but I think half the work is getting set up to do something, like vaccuming..once you have bucket and hose set up, not so hard to do two. Then when you mix or retrieve new water, same thing, just get enough for two tanks.

You have the luxury of being able to say no to the eggs, I have to sit and watch mine mature. So far, I haven't been able to bear leaving them alone. I converted my spare bedroom to a hatchery so I could have enough room, am I stupid...probably.

Jason
Old 01/15/2006, 11:43 PM
Moved On

You have definately been bitten by the bug. Welcome to the club!
Old 01/15/2006, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

Do I get an ID card or something?

A buddy of mine dropped by this weekend to see where the heck I'd been, I had PVC pipe and fittings strung all over the house, a huge shelving unit half assembled, and ten gallon tanks laying everywhere. He thought i was insane, now I can just tell him it's for a new club I joined.

Was hoping to get the new system wet this weekend, but didn't make it. Drilling ten gallons with a Dremel is LONG work. I need to start a thread on my system build, that way you guys can tell me where I'm screwing up

Jason
Old 01/16/2006, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

AWW!!! I can't wait until my Clarkii's finally get around to pairing up. I've been feeding more often in the hopes that this will encourage them to finish the "sparring" stage, and the female (or the one who will be the female in the future) has been growing quite rapidly, though still chasing the smaller Clarkii everytime she sees him.

Until they learn to accept and love each other, I've living vicariously through your pictures and videos. Hopefully they'll finish pairing sometime soon.
Old 01/16/2006, 03:20 AM
Premium Member

Jason,

Looking forward to seeing what your setup looks like.

Steve
Old 01/16/2006, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Jason get out while you still can , you have not glued the pipes? have you?

I was used to your other name , what's 55g means?

I gonna change mine to Darth Larva...
Old 01/16/2006, 12:21 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by JodiLynn
AWW!!! I can't wait until my Clarkii's finally get around to pairing up. I've been feeding more often in the hopes that this will encourage them to finish the "sparring" stage, and the female (or the one who will be the female in the future) has been growing quite rapidly, though still chasing the smaller Clarkii everytime she sees him.

Until they learn to accept and love each other, I've living vicariously through your pictures and videos. Hopefully they'll finish pairing sometime soon.
Jodi (and anyone else that wants to answer),

I have two baby clowns (percularis...hybrid of occelaris and percula) that I'm guessing were in the "sparring" stage. During feeding time the larger one would always harrass the smaller one and other times they stayed apart a lot. I've just noticed over the last few days they are staying together a lot and during feeding time the harrassing has almost stopped.

How long does the "sparring" stage typically last and is this a sign they are leaving that stage?

Brian
Old 01/16/2006, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

Jodi, it's only a matter of time Feel free to live vicariously through me, someone should. I'm sure you know this, but raising the temp a few degrees (to about 80), feeding live brine shrimp, and removing any other fish that harrass the clowns if there are any, will all help to facilitate the pairing process. In the end, THEY decide though.

Steve, lots of pics taken, I'll do the post some night this week after I get more comfy with batch 2, they are getting round bellies.

Edgar, Too late my freind, I still have purple primer on my hands I tried to run from this breeding stuff, but got tackled by a Clarki on the way out the door.

Brian, mine sparred for about 4 months, then decided to co-habitate the anenome at night fopr another 2-3 months, but stayed apart during the day. Then overnight almost, I never saw them more than 6" away from each other. About 30 days after that, they layed eggs. HTH

Jason
Old 01/16/2006, 02:14 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ediaz
I was used to your other name , what's 55g means?

I gonna change mine to Darth Larva...
Kathy55g is my SEASL(saltwater enthusiasts association of saint louis) club screen name. Easier to pronounce than kmleah, and people will now stop calling me Kim and Leah. 55g is the size of my display tank.

Hijack over.

Kathy
Old 01/16/2006, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

Jason,

Cannot wait to see those pictures.

kathy, glad to see that you managed to get the name changed.

Steve
Old 01/16/2006, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Well, I promised to give updates on the first hatch...so no matter how dismal, I lost two today. I moved them to my shelving unit that will become the rearing station. I just drained most of the water, cleaned the sides, and carried the tank. I filled it up about 50% with their old water, and took advantage of the situation and added 50% water from the parents tank (directly after a large water change in the parent tank...stupid).

The pH went from 7.9 to 8.2 rather quickly, so I assume this was the problem. All the rest are happy and eating well. So make my count 7 now...at this rate, I'll be lucky to get any to a pet store!

The other hatch is doing very well, only lost 3 that i can see today, check the other thread for an update. Then I'll post the "fish room" pics.
Old 01/16/2006, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Jason, what day/week are they at right now?

I am just wondering because if I recall our hatches shouldn't be too far apart in age. I am currently at 5 weeks, and haven't seen any loss in the post metamorphsis stage yet. All the ones that I have lost so far have been pre-meta. Basically, I am looking to see if there is anything that I need to look forward to in regards to loss.

Old 01/16/2006, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Day 31 or 32, yours are a few days older if my memory serves me. I wouldn't worry much about yours, these two died because I screwed up...or temporarily stopped thinking, you pick

I had just (I'm talking five minutes before) changed 20 gallons in my 100g. Then I thought "hey, while I've got all the stuff out, I'll move the fry tank. Drained it, moved it, and added 5 gallons of the water from the main tank. The pH jump alone probably did them in, but there was probably a slight temp difference also.
Old 01/17/2006, 02:07 AM
Premium Member

Doh... I am a bit afraid to move them from their larvae tank just for that same reason... I think what I might do is a lot of testing for equipment to make sure everything matches before I move anyone over...

Good news is that I finally have a nice size comparison of one of my kids...

I am currently sitting at 19 I think, possibly 20, but I have little way of finding an accurate count unless I move them into a new home....
Old 01/17/2006, 02:58 AM
Premium Member

Nice looking fish there.

Jason, there are a lot of things to remember when you have little ones, and quite often we may forget to do something. all part of the learning curve. Don't beat yourself too hard.

Slowly and steadily and you will get the batches through.

Steve
Old 01/17/2006, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

Cool pic WW, yours are about 1/16" larger than mine and a week older or so. That's pretty good growth rate.

Steve, I'm still shocked that I got any to survive. I do beat myself up when I do something stupid, but only so I remember not to do it again. All in all, my excitment over the few successes FAR out-weighs any dissapointments.
Old 01/17/2006, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

Well, since I posted video of the new babies today, I couldn't leave the older ones out, they get jealous you know. Still have 7 of them.

33 day old Clarks Clownfish