Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/10/2005, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

We have a little lab/spaniel pup. you can see his pics in my gallery. He was housebroken in a week, he does not bark. but he needs to be with us when ever he is awake, and he loves to nip playfully, but it still can hurt a bit. I think labs are great dogs, just get the ones bred for famlies not hunting. The only reason I say that is, Labs bread for hunting want to do just that, Labs bread for loving want to do just that.
Old 02/11/2005, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

We had our chocolate lab for 15 years, great dog. It took a while to find a respectable breeder and it did cost us some $$$ but it was worth it. He never had a vet bill due to a genetic illness. He was the soundest dog we've ever had. When I worked as a veterinary technician, pre-kids lol, I ran in to allot of inbreeding problems with allot of purebreds, you just have to search and you'll eventually find a good one. I do have to disagree with jhunko about not getting a hunting lab. Ours was a hunting lab (what lab isn't, ) an Oklahoma field lab and was the best family dog ever for us. He did like to hunt but he loved us even more. Labs are people dogs, it seems like there lost with out them. The only thing he wanted to do when we were with him was to be a lap dog and be pet continuously (110lbs ouch! not fat either). I've found sounder field/hunting labs, the larger version, then the other "show" aka "California Labs". That isn’t what there classified as, that’s just what the vet tech’s at the hospital referred to them as. They have a bit boxier build and are bigger. The "show" labs, not that the others aren't shown, can be a bit smaller and more refined and I've seen more of these types in the vet hospital for a genetic woops. As I've been searching for a lab pup myself and speaking with breeders I've noticed more line breeding with those types then the breeders with field labs.
Old 02/11/2005, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clavery
One other thing, Fat Man, I assume none of your kids have allergies, since you've had cats and haven't mentioned any problems. That being said, they are cross-breeding poodles with other breeds to create allergy/shed-free dogs. While the names sound really silly, I know a few folks who have them and are quite happy with their choices.

OK, now don't laugh...Labradoodles and Goldendoodles - poor dogs!!!!!!
Even though I vehemently disagree with these doodle dogs, you still need to be careful in selecting a breeder. Just because a dog is bred with a poodle doesn't mean all pups automatically get the poodle coat type. Even though it's a ___doodle, it can still shed and be murder on allergies.
Old 02/11/2005, 10:21 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by crzy4reefs
i would opt for going to the pound.....labs and goldens are to over bred and you run into stupid dogs and dogs with lots of health problems. it's tough to find a good responsible breeder.
The problem is that it's REALLY tough to find a good breeder at the pound. If you have a mutt that's a mix of 4 different lines that all have hip dysplasia, you're still in trouble. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against getting mix-breeds from the pound; I just think that it's a fallacy to think that you're avoiding the overbred problem by getting a dog from there. IME, purebred dogs from a pound are significantly more likely to come from a puppy mill (as are mix breeds).

Dave
Old 02/12/2005, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

i don't think it's necessary to give this word of caution but briefly, here's my story about the pound puppy...

i wanted a big dog. they had one. went to look and play with him several times. thought he'd make a great dog. brought him home. he bonded with me over a period of 2 days. after 2 days, my then-hubby reached down to pet dog. dog came up at him, teeth bared, hackles raised. plastered that man against the wall. i came running. grabbed dog's collar and took him to the floor....

had i not been home when this happened, it could have been a disaster. he had to go back to the pound. he would NOT accept anyone but me. when i took him back, they told me that he had been a problem at the pound. apparently did not like men. well DUH! had they told me that to begin with, i never would have brought him home....

he was a huge dog, they guessed about 2 years old. had been picked up running down by the river. they had no idea what his history was.

so, if you adopt from the pound, be very careful. especially if you have young children. this dog ended up going home with one of the employees, a single woman who lived in the country.
Old 02/12/2005, 08:21 AM
Queen Supreme multitasker

Nina, I am really surprised they didn't put him to sleep. I know our shelter will euthanize *any* dog that shows aggression. Too many NON aggressive dogs out there who need homes to be wasting on a dog that is aggressive

I know that sounds callous, but I just can't tolerate human aggression. Protective is one thing, aggressive is another

Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten
Old 02/12/2005, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

me too. i told them when i took him back, he needed to be put down. before i saw him the first time, they had told me he was a "big lab". the instant i set eyes on him, all i could see was rottie. unfortunately for him, he had been left to roam the countryside, fending for himself, from what they could figure out.

i thought i could take him home and with lots of love and tlc, he'd be a good dog. had i known he had a "thing" about men, i never would have attempted it.

i agree, there are so many good dogs out there needing homes. it would have been a kindness to him i think but then again, apparently he ended up in a loving home from what they told me.
Old 02/12/2005, 10:08 AM
Queen Supreme multitasker

At least he got a good loving home. He is probably a great dog for her situation. Hopefully she never marries though!!

Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten