Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/12/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

can i use the same rotary tool and drill bits to drill an acrylic tank?
Old 06/12/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

tripinpn01: You could use the same rotary tool and drill bits on an acrylic tank but there would be no need. The only reason I used those cheap diamond bits is because diamond coated hole saws are expensive. You can use a standard hole saw drill bit on acrylic without worry, however, if you use a standard hole saw on glass the friction would cause the glass to heat up and shatter. I'd suggest picking up a standard sized drill bit (you can find some cheap yet good quality ones on ebay) that is the hole size you need and use some water (as I did) to keep the heat from friction to a minimum to keep the acrylic from melting and potentially warping.
Old 06/12/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

ok ok sounds really good.that is what im going to do. thanks for the information and thanks for the "push" to drill my own tanks.
Old 06/12/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

tipinpn01: No problem, it took me awhile to get the courage to try drilling a tank. I was seriously considering just doing a HOB siphon overflow, but I'm really glad I drilled.

Anyway everyone, here are some vids of the koralia 4 running in the tank with just tap water.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=000_0006.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=000_0006.flv

Pics to come in a few minutes.
Old 06/12/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

correction on the second link:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=000_0007.flv

I'll have the pics up in a bit my camera's batteries died when I was taking more pics and I need to recharge them before I can get the thing to upload.
Old 06/12/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Water test:

No Leaks:

Return plumbing finished off with some fittings from HD:

My heater's new home:

My temporary lighting (soon to be my refuge lighting):

Some various full tank shots (fooling around with the lighting a bit):

Yes that is a huge picture of a flower in the reflection.

On a side note, championlighting.com has taken almost a week just to SHIP my return pump. I don't think I'll be ordering from them again if they can't fill a 1-item order in a reasonable amount of time. I've sent them an email to see what the issue is.
Old 06/13/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

So, today the Koralia started making a VERY loud grinding noise. I tried disassembling the pump and reassembling it several times and the grinding noise kept returning. Drs. Foster and Smith still hadn't returned my email so I gave them a call. They're going todrop ship me a new pump. Excellent customer service over there at DFS.
Old 06/15/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quick update, I don't have the time to post pics as I'm leaving on vacation for a few days to go up to Mackinac Island and everything is pretty crazy.

I bought 20lbs of tuffa rock and some live rock rubble from my LFS. I put some eggcrate on the bottom of the tank and decided that I'll use a thin layer of sand for aesthetics and being able to keep a sand-sifting goby. I have the base rock in the tank with the live rock on top and some make-shift lighting using 3 spiral compact fluorescents on timers. I've also built a duplex refugium structure for my sump using eggcrate (watch a video about this sump design at www.reefvideos.com - second column, first row).

My return pump will be here tuesday as championlighting.com didn't ship the pump until yesterday (and I ordered it last Wednesday).

The tank is... cloudy to say the least. Once I get my return pump running and my drain going through a filter sock it'll all be nice and clear.

I'll post pics when I return. Hopefully to a somewhat clearer tank.