Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/21/2004, 01:35 PM
Moved On

Is this Protein Skimmer Working? Pics included Seaclone 150`

If you look at the bottom of the tube there is a place with no bubbles (air pocket)Edit I tapped the tube and the air pocket is gone, it is filled with bubbles now.

I just got it, I though it was supposed to foam up into the cup, maybe I don't understand. It's been a long time. :-) Is it working?

Old 01/21/2004, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Yes it is working just give it a little time to break in.
Old 01/21/2004, 03:42 PM
Reef nerd

i see at the bottom of the first pic is seems not much water is flowing throught the tube. how long has it been running? you may want to run turn the air inlet knob so more water goes through. just a thought.
Old 01/21/2004, 03:44 PM
Moved On

I tapped the tube (pretty hard) a couple of times and that air pocket is gone, it's all bubbles now.

More pics:

Last edited by websiteworld.com; 01/21/2004 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01/21/2004, 03:46 PM
Reef nerd

i think you may still want to keep an eye on it. I think flow is the root of the problem.
Old 01/21/2004, 04:01 PM
Moved On

Is it supposed to foam all the way up to the very top of the cup?
Old 01/21/2004, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

I'm very new to saltwater. I have a Seaclone 150, it's on a 75 gal. Are they supposed to be that foamy? I have mine nearly all water and a bubble spiral up the middle of the tube. Should I open the air flow more? My tank's been running since Christmas, 100 lbs live rock New Year's Eve, added 3 damsels a few days ago. My skimmer's been running the entire time. There's nothing in my collection cup. My nitrate level is higher than my fish guy expected after first partial water change, protein skimmer is supposed to help control nitrates, right?
Old 01/21/2004, 11:34 PM
Reef nerd

ok, keyta you need to do some researching here on RC. A protein skimmer takes all of the crap out of your tank. if its been running since x mass and you have nothing then you need to do some adjusting. I would not recommend the seaclone but it is what you have so you have to use it. I would open the flow and make more bubbles. more bubbles=more skimmate. see if that helps and do some research.
Old 01/21/2004, 11:37 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by drock59
I would not recommend the seaclone but it is what you have so you have to use it.
Can we please stop the freaking seaclone crapping? Do you really think a Multi Million dollar company really produced a protein skimmer that doesn't work? It's quite obvious from other posts on the forum, that indeed the Seaclone does skim! DER! TFH says any protein skimmer will work, not to waste your money on an expensive one.
Old 01/21/2004, 11:47 PM
Reef nerd

ok well listen to him. Its your tank and your money. do what you want. just because seaclone sells a bunch of $100 peices of crap doesnt mean they work well. For a fish only tank they would be fine. for those of us who strive for crystal clear water and imaculate reef tanks it is not. in fact i would recommend everyone go out and by a five hundred dollar euro reef! it will work better than you ever could have imagined.
Fact: the seaclone is a peice of novice equipment and you wasted your money so dont get mad at me. And i never said it doesnt work, i just said it doesnt work well. There is a difference. I can gaurantee that 9 out of ten people here would say that a quality skimmer is better than a seaclone any day of the week.
Thanks
Old 01/22/2004, 12:08 AM
Reef nerd

no response????????
Old 01/22/2004, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

My .02

Lets put it this way, if I smoked pot I would rather use a Seaclone as a bong...!

I had two on my small reef, and constantly had to adjust them to keep them working. They WILL work if always set at the right flow. The cost of two Seaclone 150's $190...Cost of ONE Aqua C Pro HO with a MAG 3 $225...Night and day difference and I have not ever had to adjust it.

BTW, just because a company makes millions it does not mean they make good products...just that they find people that will buy their products because they make millions.
Old 01/22/2004, 12:25 AM
Reef nerd

here here!!!(?)
Old 01/22/2004, 12:28 AM
Moved On

I can afford them all, so i figure I'll will try out the Seaclone 150 which I got on ebay for 78 bucks plus shipping. If not satisfied I will sell it used on ebay for 60 bucks+.

I suspect that this is mostly a bunch of over zealous crappers because I've seen many of these Seaclones in pet stores hanging on Hexes in the center of the fishroom. That all had crud in them.
Old 01/22/2004, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Actually, most pet stores have Euro reefs and Aqua C's on the tanks in the back room, they then poor the skimmate into the Seaclone display cups after hours so people will buy them.

Do a RC search on Seaclone and see what you come up with. Every product has to have different price points to make the market happy, Seaclone is the entry level lower end skimmer, plain and simple. I do not think ANYONE honestly can dispute that if they have alot of serious reefing experience. Hey I bought two when I started because the LFS had them everywhere and they looked easy to use, however I finally got tired of tuning that damn verturi...PITA!!
Old 01/22/2004, 12:42 AM
Reef nerd

LFS strikes again.
Old 01/22/2004, 12:43 AM
Reef nerd

and i dont understand why you(websiteworld.com) are trying to argue with people with a lot more expirience. We are just trying to point you in the right direction and you are being so hostile. I dont understand folks like you. You wont listen to common sense and expirience.
Old 01/22/2004, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

websiteworld,

Drock59 is right...use RC as a learning experience. I did (and still do) and I know a heck of alot more now than my LFS staff ever will.

Jump on over to the thread "Euro Reef Club" and take a look at some of those pics...that is skimmate!!
Old 01/22/2004, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I used to have one,I took the foam filter off the intake of the powerhead and adjusted the air so you get the foam bubbles as close as you can to bottom of collection cup as you can. The foam filter always gets full of crap an slows down the water flow.
which makes it harder to skim.
Old 01/22/2004, 04:14 PM
Moved On

Quote:
and i dont understand why you(websiteworld.com) are trying to argue with people with a lot more expirience. We are just trying to point you in the right direction and you are being so hostile. I dont understand folks like you. You wont listen to common sense and expirience.
I read a book that was published by TFH that said not to waste your money on high dollar skimmers. I woke up this morning to see foam going into the cup, so it looks like I did well listening to a professional experienced person rather than over zealous hobbists.
Old 01/22/2004, 04:15 PM
Moved On

Quote:
LFS strikes again.
THE LFS I was talking about was owned by John Tullock at one time.
Old 01/22/2004, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

That is great websiteworld. Like I said they work for awhile. Keep an eye on it, maybe it can feel your concern and decided to spit out a bubble or two so you won't trade it out. LOL

I am not overzealous, just one that learned by my mistakes and made the decision to get the best products I can for my hobby. IMO Seaclone skimmers are a mistake, they do not function at the level a skimmer needs too.

Good Luck!
Old 01/22/2004, 05:31 PM
Reef nerd

yes good luck to you websiteworld! good luck with not listening to people that are trying to help you. that will get you extra far in life.
Old 01/22/2004, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

You guys are crazy! I wish I would've known to look here before I bought my "$100 piece of crap", but I didn't. I'm taking advice from my local fish guy and I think he wants to take some of the sting out of the REAL cost of beginning. He's had me reuse my standard filter and not stressed over much. I've gotten contradicting advice from everyone I've talked to about everything I've asked. Since Christmas we've dropped about $1000 into our tank (converted 75 gal fresh to salt) and decided we need a better filtration system now. Any advice about where to begin?
Old 01/22/2004, 06:03 PM
Reef nerd

keyta, i would definately get a good skimmer and yes it is going to be expensive. I dont care if you are going to go fish only or reef, i still think this is a good idea. Also, i use a refugium to help export excess nutrients from my water. THis is the best method i have use which include canister filter, wet/dry filters, bio ball, mechanical filters, etc. Do a search on this website about refugiums or filtration. Just do some research before you decide what to go with.