Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2003, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

The WORST LFS I have ever seen!!

Well I just wanted to se how many ppl have visited the Frazer Zoo pet store in Frazer PA.
www.frazerzoo.com

I had heard that they sold Marine fish and corals and figured that I would check them out. Boy was I shocked when I visited their fish room

First, I was drawn to their 200 gallon show tank not because it was a big tank but mostly, I was wondering what that huge yellow blob was swimming in the tank....to my surprise it was the Fattest yellow tang I had ever seen in my life and to no surprise becuse their version of an SPS show tank looked more like a refugium!!!! There was more algae in that tank than was on the Swamp thing! So my curiosity hit me and I opened the doors to the stand to see what filtration thay were using...and old trickle filter sump with 2 seaclone 150's on it for skimming....that's it and the sump looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long long time!

Then on to the fish room itself...after seeing the main show tank what was to come next should come as no surprise...

ALL of the tanks are riddled with algae...more marco algae than I have seen anywhere....ALL of the corals are covered in hair algae and diatoms are in full bloom!! And guess what...the only filtration on the tanks were a Skilters...yes you read that right...SKILTERS...what!?!?!?!

The device on their wall "they" called a Reverse Osmosis water filter was even more disgusting....the filters in the canister were Brown...caked on brown....don't they realize they they need to be changed in order to work right????

I had also inquired about a royal gramma that they had on one of the tanks...hey why not he looked healthy and I didn't need to scrape algae off of him...what I was told was that they couldn't sell him becuse it was too much work to get him out of the tank...huh??? Then I was in luck they had another one just like him in a differnet tank...the excuse this time was that he wasn't priced yet...now I am confused...I asked when th efish came in...the person said 2 days ago...rather than argue with him I left the store.

Whomever the person is that is running that department should be FIRED!! They obviously have no idea what they are doing.

Needless to say...I will not be back to that store.
Old 11/04/2003, 08:42 AM
NCPARS Founding Member

Make sure you find your way over to NCPARS forum. There are only a few decent LFSs in the PA area. It's a shame really.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...s=&forumid=246
http://www.ncpars.com/

I stick with TFP, Hidden Reef, and a guy near the Jersey shore: Aqua Oceans. Other than that...Mail order and frag swaps...And even TFP has been gonig downhill in the last few years.

--Fizz
Old 11/04/2003, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I was planning to go there this weekend. You saved my a trip. Have you checked out The Hidden Reef yet? They seem to have great prices on dry goods and have a good amount of marine fish and coral. The people who work there are scammers though, so watch out. I you want to spend the time, That Fish Place in Lancaster is the best! Awesome selection and decent prices.
Old 11/04/2003, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Fizz -

I know what you mean about TFP...their livestock prices have gone way up and the coral room has gone down hill. But for dry goods they are still great and always have what I need in stock.

I have also been to the Hiden Reef as well...great place only problem is that they picked the perfect name for that place because being a transplant from Massachusetts i had a hard time finding it...but one there what a great place.
Old 11/04/2003, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

I go to Frazer Zoo quite often and I think they are ok but your right all of their tanks have a lot of macro algae in them. They do get some nice corals in from time to time though. Its slim pickings around here so you can't be too choosey. Have you ever been to Pickering Valley pet store? They are pretty bad. TFP is nice for its size and it has great prices on dry goods but there livestock is not that great and they have horrible live rock.
Old 11/04/2003, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Hey Alex93se do you have a web address for the lancaster fish store? We are not too far that we couldn't go there sometime if they have a decent selection to see. The really only large store around here is the Aquarium Center (which we go to a least once a week) but, would be nice to check out some other places.
Old 11/04/2003, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Its www.Thatpetplace.com
Old 11/04/2003, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Nas19320! Will show my boyfriend tonight may head up there Sat. Looks interesting!
Old 11/04/2003, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Its a fun place to go just for the sheer size of the place. They also have a touch tank which is kinda cool and if you get bored of the place you can always go shopping at the outlet malls a little ways down the road.
Old 11/04/2003, 10:17 AM
RC Mod

[moved]

"You guys confuse me...." ~ mhurley

"So does Sesame Street." ~ BrianD
Old 11/04/2003, 11:05 AM
NCPARS Founding Member

grostanzo...Don't miss the coral and invert room. I heard of a couple people who went to TFP and didn't realize there was a seperate room for the corals and inverts.

--Fizz
Old 11/04/2003, 11:41 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

hey i work at that shop alright? stop dragging my customers away i'm just kidding ... on the other hand, i completely agree and feel outraged that a shop like this exists... i have one around here that is similar to this shop too... i wouldn't mind if the same shop also offers freshwater fish to customers, as long as they are still fish-related stuff, but they also sell dogs, birds, cats, reptiles and all the hell jungle colorful stuff in the shop... making every customer and its own staff confused! The management's focus is certainly divided onto many different aspects... as a result they couldn't bring the best out of any... i really think it's gotta suck bad that we should rely our fish stuff on an animal shop like this.... but we shouldn't be ****ed cuz it'd only make us pathetic...
Old 11/04/2003, 12:15 PM
Moved On

I go to That Fish Place a lot (we live about 15 min from it) but keep in mind when you go there that there is only about 5% of the employees that know anything about keeping saltwater tanks. They all sound like they know what they are talking about but in reality they don't. If you go there educate yourself first and don't rely on their information. Other then that they are a great store. Also, they are very helpful with ordering stock that they don't have. Just let them know what you want and they will do everything they can to get it. For example, I wanted a particular wrasse and within 2 weeks I noticed not only did they have the one I wanted (which they called and told me it was in) they had about 8 other wrasse species for sale (before it was unusual to find 1 type). They also invite various schools and children's organizations for tours. It's almost like going to a mini aquarium without the ticket charge.
Old 11/04/2003, 12:18 PM
NCPARS Founding Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carribeanlovers
It's almost like going to a mini aquarium without the ticket charge.
..yeah but I rarely leave there spending less than $50

--Fizz
Old 11/04/2003, 12:22 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Fizz71
..yeah but I rarely leave there spending less than $50

--Fizz
Same here! We are there every weekend and for about two months we were finding ourselves spend an average of about $100 - 150 per weekend. Talk about an addiction expense!!
Old 11/04/2003, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

alex93se....

[welcome]
Old 11/05/2003, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Snailman. I'm new to saltwater and this forum has saved me from making many beginner mistakes.
Old 11/15/2003, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

The salt box in turbotville PA is really nice, small but extremely healthy animals. www.coralreeftanks.com