Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/28/2003, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Champion lighting

I am relatively new to the marine hobby, less than two years.
I Recently decided to move up to a 265 gallon aquarium and a friend of mine recommended
Champion lighting as a good source. I was told they were reliable and helpful as well as having
excellent pricing. I ordered my lights via phone instead of the Internet because I felt I needed some
assistance. When I called to discuss My $1200.00 purchase I felt really rushed through this process. I
had also ask how these lights were to be suspended and they advised chain. I asked about the system
that aquastar lighting company uses. As you may know this is a cable system that I was fond of. The
sales rep said sure you can use that and in fact we might have that in stock. I received all of my order
except the cables. I called to asked why and was told to wait for a week. I asked How I was supposed
to suspend my lights and was told to use chain. I happen to have 1 set of cables from an old Aquastar
light and thought I could get 1 hung The way I wanted it. I was to find out they were different holes,
1 standard 1 metric. I was disgusted and called again to ask why I was not informed from the
beginning and I got less than a satisfactory answer and were rude. What I got was posturing and not
customer service. The products were fine their service was less than I desire. I would hesitate to buy
again from such rude sales people
After I was done talking I decided to write an E-mail to them and got a defensive behavior as well
Old 09/17/2003, 03:17 PM
Moved On

I would have to agree that there customer service is far from the best. My first order was a bust and I will never order from there company again. Unfortunately good customer service is hard to come by these days.
Old 09/17/2003, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

There was a thread on Champion Lighting in this forum just a day or so ago saying the exact same thing. I never have and never will buy from them because of that thread.
I looks like that thread has been removed?????????

Go hang a salami im a lasagna hoG
Old 09/17/2003, 03:42 PM
Force of Nature

I have had bad results dealing with "Champion Lighting" also. I really doubt that I will every purchase anything from them again. Lately I have purchase most of my lighting supplies from "Hellolights.com". Great customer service!!!
Old 09/17/2003, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

if you are looking for lighting and top notch customer service try www.hellolights.com

Git-r-done...
Old 09/17/2003, 04:57 PM
Moved On

I have bought a literal ton of lights through Hellolights, 0 (zero) problems form their site, to the phone, to service after the sale.

And dare I say no one from their organization would ever come onto these boards and say things are a customers fault!

Cant go wrong with Hello, period.

Sorry you had to add yourself to the list of unhappy Champion customers....wouldn't it be amazing if RC didn't just let anyone with a couple hundred bucks be a sponsor!

Peace, Bryan
Old 09/17/2003, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Champion Lighting

Sorry you had an unhappy experience from Champion.

Unfortunately, it should have been explained that the item wasn't in stock. As a business person myself, once you order a drop shipped item there is no contact from the manufacturer (a complaint most in my industry have voiced for years). Then they can sometimes underquote the amount of time until it will arrive. That definitely should have been explained to you. The two holes being different sizes is DEFINITELY the manufacturer's fault and if I was Champion I would be on the phone with them regarding that.

That said -
I have had excellent service from Champion. I have always dealt with Gary - who has answered my questions and had a great attitude towards me and reefing as well. Also he is very knowledgable. He has always shipped when he said he would and informed me when an item was a "drop ship" item.

If you decide to give Champion another try, ask for Gary. I'm sorry the communication was so lacking in your transaction.

Good luck

emerson
Old 09/17/2003, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

I have purchased from these guys a couple of times, prices are good, but as many have stated customer service is rush rush, when you hang up the phone you sort of get the feeling like the person was not even taking the order, have alway gotten my goods within reasonable amount of time, but customer service is no where near a place like premiumaquatics or marine depot, some one above made a good point..how does one get a sponsor status here on RC...

DaveC
Old 09/17/2003, 09:14 PM
RC Mod

I use them often, never a problem for me. alot of times I just send an email saying what i need. cant get any easier than that
Old 09/17/2003, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Here is the thred I was referring to. The thread won't work. It was deleted yet it was just started a day or 2 ago. Why is that?
The owner from Champion lighting responded to it. Certainly didn't shed very good light on them.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...4&goto=newpost

Old 09/18/2003, 05:34 AM
Registered Member

champion lighting

I have heard of Hellolights.com, I will certainly give them a try when I am looking to make a new purchase. Thanks for your help.

Chris
Old 09/18/2003, 07:37 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Puterguru
Here is the thred I was referring to. The thread won't work. It was deleted yet it was just started a day or 2 ago. Why is that?
The owner from Champion lighting responded to it. Certainly didn't shed very good light on them.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...4&goto=newpost
Here's a thread explaining why it's gone.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...postid=1768848
Old 09/18/2003, 07:46 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by geo
I use them often, never a problem for me. alot of times I just send an email saying what i need. cant get any easier than that
Hey George, I want to point out to others what outstanding customer service you have. I recently bought 3 of his Geo rectors through Premium Aquatics and I could not be happier. I needed some extra fittings and you were more than happy to assist me with them free of charge. I had a couple questions for you and the guys down at Premium and you were happy to answer them for me. If anyone is looking for a calcium reactor, this is the way to go. I was just talking to another member about the great service you and Premium Aquatics provided us. Thanks again!
Old 09/18/2003, 10:09 AM
RC Sponsor

< asked How I was supposed
to suspend my lights and was told to use chain. I happen to have 1 set of cables from an old Aquastar
light and thought I could get 1 hung The way I wanted it. I was to find out they were different holes,
1 standard 1 metric. I was disgusted and called again to ask why I was not informed from the>
The interesting part or this is that it was YOUR idea to use the cables from a diffenet manufacturer to suspend the
pendants. Sounded like a good idea to me when you presented it.
However, when you called to vehemently complain that " I was not told that I might have to adapt a differnet manufacturers product" you did lose us.
If you undertake a do it yourself project, one would expect that there might be some minor glitch. In this case it was the need to slightly widen an existing hole.
Mea culpa for not telling you.
2 units were sent and 1 is still on backorder from the manufacturer.
We offered several times to refund your money for the unit, and also to take back the 2 other pieces.
What else can we do ?
As for Tony Tooth..in case there is any other questions on his problem, he placed an order on line giving 727-555-1212 as his contact #. Couldn't understand why we wouldn't honor his order.
What's even stranger is why he ever ordered from us ( this was his 1st) , when he has made numerous postings in the past slamming our company...couldn;t be a set up, could it ?
This is a character who has been banned from more than 1 Florida store for his rude behavior.
He is also spamming people on a previous thread that defended champion...
Then again, maybe you have discovered the truth...Champion has spent the last 15 years in the business cheating, misleading, stealing from our customers.
I am the first to admit when a mistake occurs, and they occasionaly do. No business could state otherwise.

Perry
Old 09/18/2003, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Champion Lighting & Supply
< asked How I was supposed
1 standard 1 metric. I was disgusted and called again to ask why I was not informed from the>
The interesting part or this is that it was YOUR idea to use the cables from a diffenet manufacturer to suspend the
pendants. Sounded like a good idea to me when you presented it.
However, when you called to vehemently complain that " I was not told that I might have to adapt a differnet manufacturers product" you did lose us.
If you undertake a do it yourself project, one would expect that there might be some minor glitch. In this case it was the need to slightly widen an existing hole.
Mea culpa for not telling you.
2 units were sent and 1 is still on backorder from the manufacturer.
We offered several times to refund your money for the unit, and also to take back the 2 other pieces.
What else can we do ?
As for Tony Tooth..in case there is any other questions on his problem, he placed an order on line giving 727-555-1212 as his contact #. Couldn't understand why we wouldn't honor his order.
What's even stranger is why he ever ordered from us ( this was his 1st) , when he has made numerous postings in the past slamming our company...couldn;t be a set up, could it ?
This is a character who has been banned from more than 1 Florida store for his rude behavior.
Then again, maybe you have discovered the truth...Champion has spent the last 15 years in the business cheating, misleading, stealing from our customers.
I am the first to admit when a mistake occurs, and they occasionaly do. No business could state otherwise.
Perry
What you failed to mention is the fact that he recieved errors when trying to email your company. Others tried also and received the same error. You then came here and accused all of us as fakeing those errors.
Don't make accusations - If you have proof he is slaming you then point us to those threads.
If you have proof that he is spamming people from a previous thread then show us.
Also if a VALID PHONE # IS required by your site to make any purchaes - you may want to point this out before people ORDER FROM YOU. I do not like to give out my phone # either and it should not be required to make purchases.

Old 09/18/2003, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Our company won't place an order without a valid telephone number - how can we contact you if we have a problem with your card. (one example, declined, another example, you typed the number wrong).

Also, an invalid telephone number reaks of fraud. With the increased rising of companies taking huge hits on credit card fraud (sometimes identity theft, sometimes intentional) any "warning signs" (i.e, invalid telephone number) smell of fraud. In the past this was fine the margin for fraud was less than 1%. With the company being bombarded with thousands of dollars in fraudulent purchases, every company has to set its tolerance level. An invalid telephone number is only one of them.

I don't know the history of what you are speaking about...... but, I definitely wouldn't place an order with 555-1212. This reaks of setup.

emerson
Old 09/18/2003, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Perry

I tried to be professional with your company. Your rep ( you or someone else) were not even remotely polite. I gave you plenty of chances to privately right this situation, and you did not.
Not even I'm sorry or we will give you a discount on your next shipment. I was in the mail order business for nearly 15 years and we never behaved in such a way towards customers.
Mistakes happen yes, but there is usually a process that rectifies the situation. Did I ask for the cables? you bet. Did you tell me your threads were standard and the Aquastars was metric? no.
Your in the game of selling products and information, at last glance I was a consumer of your products. Here is your chance Champion lighting, to step up.
Old 09/18/2003, 12:00 PM
Moved On

In my deffense this is totally 100% not true. Feel free to search my username to see if I have ever even spoke the words Champion Lighting or Perry. I have never delt with this company or spoke of them in any manner prior to last week. I believe you have me confused with another member of RC.
Old 09/18/2003, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EmersonAly
Our company won't place an order without a valid telephone number - how can we contact you if we have a problem with your card. (one example, declined, another example, you typed the number wrong).

Also, an invalid telephone number reaks of fraud. With the increased rising of companies taking huge hits on credit card fraud (sometimes identity theft, sometimes intentional) any "warning signs" (i.e, invalid telephone number) smell of fraud. In the past this was fine the margin for fraud was less than 1%. With the company being bombarded with thousands of dollars in fraudulent purchases, every company has to set its tolerance level. An invalid telephone number is only one of them.

I don't know the history of what you are speaking about...... but, I definitely wouldn't place an order with 555-1212. This reaks of setup.

emerson
Your company won't place an order without "WHAT YOU PERCEIVE TO BE A VALID PHONE #" - I'm certain if a customer would have put a 7 digit # that LOOKED like a valid # you would have processed the order.
Credit Card #'s are tied to billing addresses those addresses are to match the Shipping Adress - If it doesn't the Credit Card is declined. Retailers are trying TOO much to become detectives.

Old 09/18/2003, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

phone number

Chris,

Not being disrespectful, but you cannot fathom the amount of money that goes out to fraud. As in over $87,000 last year in credit card fraud alone at our company. So you don't think you'd read 555-1212 as fraud? $87,000 makes you suspicious. I don't do the volume of these guys in online business, but if I doubt it, I call the customer, if I can't reach you, the order is cancelled.

Its the only satisfactory resolution for all concerned, because ultimately ALL OF US (the consumer) pay for all this credit card fraud (as in increased prices). It doesn't make things as easy as the old days. If I know you as a customer its never an issue. This is part of the reason I only deal with a few vendors I enjoy having a relationship with the people that I buy from. I do not order online without speaking to someone thats just me. I know that millions of people are going online without any personal contact in their transactions. But, maybe I'm old fashioned it definitely loses something as evidenced by the gentleman who entered 555-1212.

Reefrelated, I think there is a Reefrelated2 who posted on that thread. Perhaps that is the confusion.

emerson
Old 09/18/2003, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Perry

P.S. you never offered a refund you transfered me to the shipping department to search for my order with your shipper. Customers should deal with customer service reps
Old 09/18/2003, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Re: phone number

Quote:
Originally posted by EmersonAly
Chris,

Not being disrespectful, but you cannot fathom the amount of money that goes out to fraud. As in over $87,000 last year in credit card fraud alone at our company. So you don't think you'd read 555-1212 as fraud? $87,000 makes you suspicious. I don't do the volume of these guys in online business, but if I doubt it, I call the customer, if I can't reach you, the order is cancelled.

Its the only satisfactory resolution for all concerned, because ultimately ALL OF US (the consumer) pay for all this credit card fraud (as in increased prices). It doesn't make things as easy as the old days. If I know you as a customer its never an issue. This is part of the reason I only deal with a few vendors I enjoy having a relationship with the people that I buy from. I do not order online without speaking to someone thats just me. I know that millions of people are going online without any personal contact in their transactions. But, maybe I'm old fashioned it definitely loses something as evidenced by the gentleman who entered 555-1212.

Reefrelated, I think there is a Reefrelated2 who posted on that thread. Perhaps that is the confusion.

emerson
I understand your point, but what I am saying is this:
I'd like to order a widget from you, here is my CC #,expiration date, and Shipping address. My phone # is 724-7623
Thanks.
What happens is I get the Widget because the Billing Address and Shipping address match, EVEN THOUGH THAT IS NOT A VALID PHONE #.
A phone # is for the Customers Protection and at HIS DISCRETION not for the Retailers protection.

Don't take this as anything other than trying to have a meaning discussion on the topic.

Last edited by Puterguru; 09/18/2003 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09/18/2003, 12:54 PM
RC Sponsor

<<Did you tell me your threads were standard and the Aquastars was metric? no.>>
This was YOUR idea. Did you ask if they were different ? If you had I would have told you I don't know. I do know that if I was ordering a part for a Chevy and I had a Ford, I'd ask if it was direct fit, or be prepared if it wasn't.
The fact that you blame me for this MINOR inconvenience, and take the time to post this nonesense is a testament to your character.
If you like just find fault, then blame yourself for not asking.

When you called with the "complaint" that they were not an exact fit, you were offered the opportunity to return the entire order for a full refund..what more can a company do. I guess you expect us to send someone to your home to drill the hole ? The fact of the matter is some people just shouldn't order mail order. If you require the support to widen a simple hole, hire a local qualified installer to buy and install the systems for you, and pay the price.
PS...you have been refunded for the back-ordered piece as we don't know when they are coming in.
Old 09/18/2003, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Chris,

Its your prerogative whether or not to give accurate information to a vendor, however, it seems unfair to bash a vendor for not shipping due to inaccurate information. That was my only point.

emerson
Old 09/18/2003, 01:10 PM
RC Sponsor

<A phone # is for the Customers Protection and at HIS DISCRETION not for the Retailers protection>

That is wrong as wrong can be. You've been told that several times now.
Let me guess.. this the same guy that called me on Tuesday, from Florida, anyonomously, as a friend of Tony Tooth, and threatened to " hurt me bad" ?
Same guy that also insisted that 727-555-1212 was indeed Tony's actual phone #.
If so he works as a directory assistance operator.
If I had to guess, both you and Tony are 19-20 years old, experts on everything and with LOTS of experience in life, and with typing away with beer laden fingers.
Please go haunt someone else's house, as we have real customers, a few of which are surprisingly happy, to help out.
Perry