Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/31/2003, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Bad Experience

I whent into Saltwater Paridise and Scott was on the computer. I thought he was doing work so I did not say anything at first. I whent by and saw he was posting on here I have never been back.
Old 07/31/2003, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Im just curious if you had to wait forever for help or someone was rude to you? Im not sure I get why that was a bad thing. Could you please explain?
Old 07/31/2003, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Well how would you like it if you whent somewhere and the oersin you were waiting for was on the computer doing non work related things?
Old 07/31/2003, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

as long as I got help when I asked for it I wouldnt care. I prefer not to be hounded when I walk into a store. Its quite obnoxious. I like to take my time and check everything out before I want any help.
Old 07/31/2003, 08:11 PM
Über-Reefers

Dude, why didn't you ask politely for help? I agree with missy about the hounding issue. I hate it when sales-persons are overbearing.

-Meg
Old 07/31/2003, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

I'm a little confused, how is this a bad experience? Did you expect the guy jump out of his seat and hound you like a used car salesman (no offense to car salesman) until you bought something. I'm sure he was giving you some time to look around before he asked if you need help.

Have you been in there since to see if this happened again? Just seems a little harsh to write bad experience because the guy was on the computer.
Old 07/31/2003, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Ok ok no need to verbaly attack me it is just my MO
Old 08/01/2003, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Eeesh you're being a bit harsh here don't you think?
Old 08/01/2003, 12:38 AM
Official Beast

I expect to be acknowledged when I walk into a store. A simple “hello� is usually good enough for me. You guys don’t expect the same? Wow. People sure don’t expect much in the way of customer service anymore. Many times if I am ignored at a store, I don’t come back.
Old 08/01/2003, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Scott from Saltwater Paradise IS a nice guy. He even admit's that he's not the super outgoing personal type, but he has a pretty good sense of humor and I have learned to really like the guy.

He's like a big soft cuddley bear trapped in a big tall white man's body!

It's that Texas charm....ha ha.

Anyway, I do consider posting on RC semi-work related, so don't give the guy a hard time for working on posts...maybe he was browsing and picking up great information to help him improve his business, or reading what are Industry trends, hobby concerns and all the info that you pick up here.

It's awesome that a store owner would be so involved on this level, don't you think?

I am sure you are cool....have a good one!

Eric
Old 08/01/2003, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OscarBeast
I expect to be acknowledged when I walk into a store. A simple “hello� is usually good enough for me. You guys don’t expect the same? Wow. People sure don’t expect much in the way of customer service anymore. Many times if I am ignored at a store, I don’t come back.
I have to agree with you here. I work for the Home Depot and we send people home sometimes if they are caught walking past customers without greeting them. I also agree with Missy about being hounded no one wants to be hounded either. The right thing to do is aknowledge the customer let them know you are aware they are there.

Gon
Old 08/01/2003, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

first of all i feel that no one has the right to make fun of this guy, just type in your opinions, but nothing else.

and yes, i am a cust service rep and you do need to acknowledge the cust when they come into YOUR STORE!!, i understand the frustration, and chances of him being on reef central trying to help his store, and the "tricks of the trade" and not just checking vendor experiences or just making replies, having a chat is unlikely, but you make trigger seem ingnorant for being mad about this because he was supposedly making his business better, personally i think trigger is right, and i would do the same.

yours,
Mike
Old 08/01/2003, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by missy1101
Im just curious if you had to wait forever for help or someone was rude to you? Im not sure I get why that was a bad thing. Could you please explain?

I do not see how not understanding why a person would consider this a bad experience being harsh or mean.

This Vendor Experience Forum is for people to give feedback on the customer employee relationships, the quality of merchandise the vendor has etc. If you are going to say something negative about a store you need to provide why. If the guy in the store was on the computer did he say hi when you walked in the door? Did he blatantly ignore you? Did you ask for help and he told you no? These are the things we want to know before dealing with these vendors.
Old 08/01/2003, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

No he did not even look at me when I walked in. I want to thank the few people who stood up for me I was not trying to start anything. I do not like the people( whoms names shall not be said) who harrassed me for posting my opinion. this is Vendor Expierences I just told my opinion.
Old 08/02/2003, 08:06 AM
Moved In

Get your finger off the submit button Trigger!! This is very appropriate here. If I went in a LFS and they were on here and didn't even acknowledge my presence I would leave also. Hell if I'm on here, I barely say hello to my husband. You get a little involved here. Once someone walks in the door you need to poke your head up at least. A simple "Can I help you?" would be nice. Are you really young? I know people who ignore kids, because they think they don't have money anyway. Bad approach IMO!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 08/02/2003, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

I was going to say that maybe he was helping out someone that had a problem with a tank or fish, I think you pretty much covered it.

Sean

Quote:
Originally posted by sdcfish
Anyway, I do consider posting on RC semi-work related, so don't give the guy a hard time for working on posts...maybe he was browsing and picking up great information to help him improve his business, or reading what are Industry trends, hobby concerns and all the info that you pick up here.

It's awesome that a store owner would be so involved on this level, don't you think?

Old 08/02/2003, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Geez talk about a whiner!

The LFS guy is on RC and your p!ssy about it? Did it ever occur to you that he might be LEARNING something or HELPING a hobbyist with a reply?

You deserve a wedgie for this post.

mjd
Old 08/02/2003, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

YOU PEOPLE ARE SOOOOOOOO IGNORANT, OR ATLEST THE MAJORITY,

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THAT HE WAS ACTUALLY LEARNING AND DOING SOO GOOD ON THIS BOARD, YOU GUYS ACT LIKE YOU EVERYTIME YOU GO ON THESE BOARDS YOU ARE MAKING YOUR SELF A BETTER PERSON AND HELPING PEOPLE SOOOO MUCH WITH ALL! OF THEIR PROBLEMS, BUT LOOK AT ALL OF YOU PEOPLE, SITTING ON HERE BASHING HIM BECAUSE YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE, LIKE I SAID I AM A CUST SERVICE REP AND I THINK THAT IS BAD CUST SERVICE, HE CAN ATLEAST SAY HI, I MEAN HOW DO YOU HAVE GOOD RELATIONSHIPS WITH CUSTOMERS IF YOU ONLY TALK TO THEM WHEN THEY LET YOU KNOW THAT THEY WANT TO BUY SOMETHING, THAT IS LUDACRIS, YOU GUYS SHOULD MOVE ON, BUT ALL THIS IS A VIEW OF CUSTOMER SERVICE,
GIVE YOUR OPINION OF CUST SERVICE, IF YOU THINK THIS WAS OK, OR BAD, BUT DON'T FALL OFF OF THE EDGE BECAUSE OF THIS POST, THIS IS ONLY SOMETHING THAT IS TYPED INTO A COMPUTER, NOT THE END OF THE WORLD,

BUT ALBERIO
Quote:
You deserve a wedgie for this post.
THAT IS THE MOST CHILDISH THING THAT I HAVE READ ON THIS FORUM AS OF DATE.

and trigger, : you are welcome
Old 08/02/2003, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

ALL CAPS IS WHINING TOO.

THE FISH STORE GUY FORGOT TO SAY HI! I'M NEVER GOING BACK THERE AGAIN. ~ that's whining if I ever heard it. I'd be more concerned with price, service, knowledge, health of their animals. Things of that nature.

TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS WHINING TOO.

This is my last post on this subject. You may flame away without fear of retribution. I NOW FEEL AS IF I'M WHINING ABOUT WHINING.

mjd

PS. Yeah he could have said hi. But honestly, Ifeel it is childish to flame a business because someone forgot to say hi. I wouldn't be that concerned about it unless they were always rude. My pet peeve is going into LFSs with STUPID (in regards to reef keeping) people selling stuff. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Alberio; 08/02/2003 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08/02/2003, 02:22 PM
Resident Patent Consultan

Hey,

"My" LFS sees me coming in and tells me to get the F out! But that's because they know me!

I don't know the details here, i.e., how much time went by, whether you were at the counter waiting, etc. I agree with the sentiment that customer service has generally gone to pot in this country, and that some of these counter people we have to deal with need to understand we're doing them a favor buying from their establishment (not the other way around). It's a matter of degree, if you ask me.
Old 08/02/2003, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Making up!

Although I do disagree with Trigger Crazy on this issue, I would like to compliment him/her? on their reef tanks. I was checking out the phtoto gallery, very nice.

Keep up the good work,

and oh...... HI!
Old 08/02/2003, 03:15 PM
2 Wheeled idiot

I would of left too. In fact i did at the last LFS i visited. The SW guy didnt even acknowledge me when i came in. When i needed help he was no where to be found. I asked the cashier for help, she paged him and still never showed up after 10mins of waiting.

Tried same LFS again a month later, guess who was working again. Asked him for help and he said he'd be with me in a minute. 5 mins later he was still writing the corals and prices on the blackboard instead of getting what i wanted. Havent been in there since.

All the other LFS atleast say HI or ask if i need help.
Old 08/02/2003, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

I've only been there a couple times, but for those of you not here in DFW.....Scott's store is well known for having about the best selection/quality of coral around. A bit pricey, but nice stuff.
He also REALLY knows his stuff. However, he's not the most personable guy around. I guess I don't really have much of an opinion on the whole customer service thing though.
BTW, I'm at work right now and don't ignore customers. Trust me, I'd love to hide behind my computer when they come in.
Charley
4" DSB
20L sump
30gal fuge
ER CS6-1
mag9.5 return
Old 08/03/2003, 03:17 AM
Registered Member

On one hand i do acknoledy that when i go into a store i at least expect someone to say hello. But at the same time i also have have to say that i wouldn't count having someone fail to say hi or come ask me if i need something as abad experiance. What WOULD have turned it into a bad experiacne is if'd i'd asked for help and he told me no OR if i go into a store and can't find anyone to help me. Just another possiblity perhaps he simply didn't hear you come in and didn't even know you were there. Personally i would wait till actually dealing w/ them to pass judgement.
Old 08/03/2003, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

CHILL OUT!!!!!!!!!