Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/21/2003, 12:01 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Dr. fosters and smith...shipping practices are a joke.

I need a Mag 18 face plate.

Found one at DFS
I was about to order the part oline, it costs $6.69, I went to checkout and the shipping was $7.99!!!!!

SO I decided to call in case it was just an automated system.
The lady asked me the "dollar amount of the item."
I asked "what difference does that make...weight is how you price shipping."
She said "We don't do it that way."
I told her $6.69.
She said the shipping is $7.99.
I said that it was a piece of plastic that weighs about 2 ounces.
She said "That's the way we do it."

Well, not to me they don't.

Some may think this is fine...I do not.
Old 06/21/2003, 01:05 PM
Reeferus Horribilus

I had no complaints when it applied to the 5 gallon bucket of salt. (since changed) But other than in a case such as yours, I have usually found their shipping to be quite a bit less than others using this method. You could try Premium Aquatics, they might be willing to send it in a snailmail mailer if they have one. HTH
Old 06/21/2003, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Same thing happened to me. I also would'nt order.
Old 06/21/2003, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Both sides

7.99 is pretty much the standard lowest price for shipping small items. Most don't ship USPS because it's a hassle.

The world is not tranquil...and a storm-the wind and the rain-is coming. At the approach of the storm, the sparrows are busy...but the flapping of their wings cannot obstruct the coming of the storm.
Old 06/21/2003, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Again, me to. Premium aquatics, I only order from them, unless they don't have what I need, then Marine Depot.
Old 06/22/2003, 03:25 AM
Original Stoli Below

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with the shipping. First, they were upfront with you about the costs. Second, below a certain weight, shipping costs are the same ($9.00 to send a letter overnight FedEx). I've order dry and live from them and have been satisfied.
Old 06/22/2003, 08:12 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

I am no6t saying in anyway that they were decitful. Do not misread what was written.
I am saying that it is outrageous to charge that amount for regular USP shipping on an object that weighs 2 OZ.
Old 06/23/2003, 10:26 AM
Moved On

Go to your local car dealership and order a plastic knob and see what they charge you for shipping. It's the same thing.

This is not uncommon. Simply order a few other things you need.
Old 06/23/2003, 12:51 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Quote:
Originally posted by VL

This is not uncommon.
Regardless. Doesn't mean it is right.
Old 06/23/2003, 01:34 PM
1 & Over Club

I like their method for dertermining shipping price. The cost of delivery is based on the amount spent. So if you buy a bucket of salt, you don't have to be surprised w/ a $20 surcharge like other company would do.
Old 06/23/2003, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Not true with the bucket of salt. I just bought some today and they wanted 21$ for shipping the salt PLUS a 9.99$ s&h charge. I bought my salt and sand from thatfishplace.com and saved about 10$, plus thatfishplace is usually really speedy with shipping.
Old 06/23/2003, 06:19 PM
1 & Over Club

Sorry about that. I must've been reading from an old catalog. Anyway, did you try to ask to talk to a manager for an overide. When I just need small item shipped, I get them from Premium Aquatic through first class mail.
Old 06/23/2003, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

The one thing to keep in mind, in your LFS shipping is built into the price. They pay less because of bulk and all, but the cost is still there. With shipping on-line stuff is cheaper. But to agree with you, DFS is one of the more expensive sites. I buy from them if I can't find it anyplace else, they do have a pretty good selection.

My pet peeve is they don't email you when the stuff ships or give you a tracking #.
Old 06/23/2003, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The one thing to keep in mind, in your LFS shipping is built into the price. They pay less because of bulk and all, but the cost is still there. With shipping on-line stuff is cheaper. But to agree with you, DFS is one of the more expensive sites. I buy from them if I can't find it anyplace else, they do have a pretty good selection.
Although this is true, remember that they ship in bulk. the company I used to work for shipped 10- 15 packages a day to different areas of the country and Fed Ex gave a great rate.
Old 06/23/2003, 07:00 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

fincity,
[welcome]
Old 06/24/2003, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Every time I have ordered things from Dr. Foster and smith I have had nothing but good experiences with them. I added up my last order then I went to my LFS and see how much my order would have cost. Buying from Dr foster I think I saved something like $58.12 lol.

The more you buy the better the deal gets.

I can understand how you might be upset about the shipping but look at it from thier window. They probly fig. people were gunna buy more then just one thing.

So_How was my first post? Just wanted to let you know this place is great, keep up the good work.
Old 06/24/2003, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

fossil
Thanks for your well said input and.......

[welcome]
Old 06/24/2003, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Dr. Fosters and Smith-LiveAquaria.com

Got some rock, not rock but "Select Fiji Premium Live Rock" from them a week ago.........If I couldn't get what I needed from my LFS, I would order from FFexpress with great confidence as I had always bought all online livestock from them exclusively. They delivered! Not these guys.....Prices went up, quality went down and they have a new form answer for those of us who have service or product issues. I've cured a lot of live rock and have not seen die off like this. Especially from what is touted as being "Premium Select" rock. Why not just call it live rock, without all the marketing terms. Maybe a little truth in advertising. I guess that would deter people from buying it. I will accept the fact that maybe this is not the norm. I hope not. I will try to post pics...need to charge my batteries. I must say that I am not angry, only very very disappointed. Big thumbs down. There are too many suppliers out there to have to deal with inferior products. I have my eye on a couple already...Everybody have a favorite (that isn't listed as sponsor here?) (why not!)?
Old 06/24/2003, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

I agree with SeanT and won't be buying from them either. Wanted to buy a powerhead the other day $14.99 (Good Price) shipping however was $7.99. 5 or 10 watt heater $10.99, shipping was $7.99.
It's BS and their are other ways to ship.
Old 06/24/2003, 10:55 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

My personal opinion is that Sean just doesn't like foster and smith.

Some time ago he posted about an order that he placed with them. The shipped the wrong product to him. When notified of the error they let him keep the mistake and then shipped the correct item free of charge; he was p*ssed off and swore he'd never use them again.

I'd search for the thread, as it got pretty ugly, but the search engine won't let me go back that far right now.

Their cheapest shipping is UPS ground. If you want cheaper for small items find someone who ships USPS.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 06/24/2003, 11:43 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

What a narrow and simple retort .
I have no problemms with DFS.
I have an intolerant attitude towards incompetence in a business.
And an intolerance ntoward gouging.
I have never had a problem with DFS before this to my knowledge.
You must be thinking about someone else but seemingly have no problem sticking your foot in your mouth.
I did have a problem with brine shrimp direct that was resolved. No free products were received by me.

Think I am whining?
Too bad.

I have had NOTHING but stellar service from:
marinedepot
premiumaquatics
myreefcreations
reefscience
sea-swirl.com et al

And when I see a shoddy organization and receive crap service in ANY way I will say something about it.
As I hope others will as well.

Got it?
Good.
Have a great day.
Old 06/24/2003, 11:47 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Quote:
Originally posted by fossil

I can understand how you might be upset about the shipping but look at it from thier window. They probly fig. people were gunna buy more then just one thing.
This was well put.
However, I will reply by saying...why isn't any service implemented for those that are only buying one thing?

Could it be that hard to enter the weight of an object and ship based on that?
I don't think it is.
Or if someone calls they can give a more accurate shipping price.

Problem is today, that too many just roll over and let businesses shake every cent from them. If people stand up they can't do it.

It has gone from the customer is always right, to shut up and give us your money...all of it.
Old 06/24/2003, 12:13 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

If I recall the vendor incorrectly I appologize. Apparently it was some other vendor that you were being unrealistic about. Again, the search engine won't let me go back far enough to verify it.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 06/24/2003, 12:20 PM
Hog Obsessed

seant,
did you ever get your part..

hehe
Old 06/24/2003, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanT
Problem is today, that too many just roll over and let businesses shake every cent from them. If people stand up they can't do it.

It has gone from the customer is always right, to shut up and give us your money...all of it.
I could not have said that better myself.