Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/12/2003, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

My hex has me perplexed -- need some flow advice

First, I'm a soon to be noobie (should this go in the "new to reef" section?)

I picked up an 85 gal Oceanic glass hex tank for cheap to set up as a viewable on all sides (read NO powerheads) reef tank (mixed corals w/ a few fish). Plan is for a custom sump/refugium (approx 25 gal) in the stand below. I had the bottom drilled for three 1" bulkheads located in the center of the bottom with the idea of two as overflows to sump down below and 1 as return to tank (up from bottom to water surface, 30", for siphon break and u-turn back down for distribution. Basically I'd have four 1" pipes grouped together to stack a live rock around forming a tapered column in the middle of the tank.

The two overflows are to help keep it quiet as tank will be located in living room. With a total volume of about 110 gal (less sand & lr) and 10 to 15x turnover, I'm looking at 1100 to 1600 gph. The stand is only 30" tall as is the tank, so with a couple of valves, elbows etc. am I looking for this flow at 7-10 ft of head?

I was thinking of bringing one 1" return into one end of sump so that only half the flow will travel through refugium section with the other drain feeding a skimmer section before recombining in common section for the pump suction. Is 500 - 800 gph too much flow through a 16"w x 20"l x 10"d refugium?

Any recommendations on water flow rate and specific external quiet pump of appropriate size would be appreciated.

Thanks in adviance for any help.
Old 06/26/2003, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

mikeyj

[welcome]
Old 07/07/2003, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome mat Snailman. Any chance of getting this re-posted in the New to Reefkeeping section. Not much response over here?

Thanks
Old 07/07/2003, 11:55 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Have you thougt about hiding some powerheads in the stacked LR? I saw this on a 125g recently - they blended in with LR & you had to look to notice them. That is what I would do. Or a closed loop system.
Old 07/07/2003, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion S.D.

I'd be leary of buried powerheads from a critter clogging / maintainence issue. It'll be difficult to monitor or access anything behind the LR column due to the overflow/return pipes. Plus this would put PH wires directly underneath single 250W MH. I'm trying to minimize the amount of mechanical equipment in the tank for asthetics & maintainence.

I like the closed loop idea, but that would mean additional holes in the center bottom of the tank. I'm already afraid of structural integrity with the three 1-3/4" holes I've drilled.

Thanks again for replying.

BTW - I notice in your sig that you've got a 60 hex w/ 250 w mh(I'm planning on a single 250w mh 10k w/ 2 75w vho actinic) . What are the dimensions of your 60 and how does that set up work for you?

mikeyj