Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/29/2003, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

For the Dallas Peeps!!

I am all for deals and lets be honest Dallas is not a saltwater haven. But in some research I have found a store that has just blown me away. I am a regular at Dallas North Aquarium. I know the owner John personally. They have great customer service if you go to the right ones. I will always go to Dallas North just because I have been going there for about 7 years.

Now on to the find. I never new or would have thought about looking for a good saltwater store south of 635. BUT doing a search for LFS I came accross Saltwater Paridise. I called the number and spoke with the owner Scott. Younger guy seemed to know his stuff pretty well over the phone. So I payed him a visit. He has just moved his store and is still organizing. He has been at his current location for about 2 weeks. His livestock room just blew me away. He has 3000 gallons of nothing but corals and mushrooms and inverts. All of Dallas Norths corals and shroons and inverts will fit in one of his 6 huge acrylic tanks. His pricing is fair for a LFS but I am sure he is doing the standard mark up. He will haggle. If you like to see a very LARGE selection of corals I recommend paying him a visit. He is off Oconner and Rochelle inbetween 183 and 114. If anyone else knows of any more LFS that has a good selection of corals besides Dallas North, Saltwater solutions which sucks in my opinion, and Saltwater paridise please post
Old 05/30/2003, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info! I live in the DFW area and am always looking for a new store with good quality livestock. Do you have an address or phone number? Sounds like he has a nice place and I would really like to check it out.
Old 05/30/2003, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

cool..Ill have to check him out too...No offense, but im not a fan of Dallas North..Ive seen him try to sell a hammer that has rotted away to one head for 70.00...I think Ive been to paradise once a long time ago..look forward to seeing him again.

Your right about dallas not having much..I just wish the marine center would open their doors to the public...lol
There is unrest in the reef, There is trouble with the corals, for the lps want more sunlight And the sps ignore their pleas....The trouble with the LPS,(And they're quite convinced they're right) They say the SPS are just too lofty And they grab up all the light. But the SPS can't help their feelings If they like the way they're made. And they wonder why the LPS Can't be happy in their shade..So the LPS formed a union And demanded equal rights. "The SPS are just too greedy;We will make them give us light." Now there's no more SPS oppression, For they passed a noble law, And the Corals are all kept equal By Reefer.. frag.. and saw.
Old 05/30/2003, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Trying to be nice

Anyone who buys from that Dallas North store has some major problems. The prices are SKY HIGH!! $3 for an Astera snails? $39 for some yellow tangs??

HINT!
If the owner of the store has a nice new "Hummer" out front maybe you should move on ( not one of them cheap Hummers either)

Anyone who buys from them please check the sponsers of this board. You can help yourself and reefcentral.
Old 05/31/2003, 03:11 AM
Premium Member

Good Luck Monti.

Remember there is a happy median between making money, going broke and scamming people. I hope you find it. If I were starting a store in Dallas I would start by buying 2000lbs of Walt lve rock. Store it in Rubbermaid comtainers if you have to. You can charge 100% mark up and still pass on hobbist a good deal. Spend $4,000 and sell it for $8,000.

REMEMBER is not what you sell it for its what you buy it for!!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 06/01/2003, 01:40 PM
Moved On

Stay away from Dallas North. They are way over priced. People are always rude and not helpful. Every system has bioballs and they push cheap product that will not work and you have to keep going back to "upgrade".
Old 06/01/2003, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

LOL if your not smart enough to research any chemical or product from any store from your tank your just hurting yourself and your tank. As far as Dallas North goes. They can be pricey but they also have some good deals. Some people think they should be waited on hand and foot. Some people think they should get stuff for nothing. Some people dont like to bargain shop. But I have been going there for 7 years never had a problem with them. I am also smart enough to shop around. Some things they have are really marked up. Some things are average for the industry. But I am not here to sway you to go to Dallas North. This thread was started by me to let all of you know about Saltwater Paradise, and find out if anyone else has found a decent LFS. But instead of sticking with the thread. Some people choose to bash. I used Dallas North as a comparison. Why? Its clean. Decent fish selection, Sometimes good deals, Some decent corals and inverts. It was mentioned as a comp to give you an idea.

Now if we could get Marine Center to open there doors to the public I would not need to find a LFS. I guess I am one of the few in the hobby here in Dallas who likes to see what I am purchasing. Some online vendors claim you can but send you crap. And some do. Seeing is believing. I am able to put a hold on a item in LFS to make sure it does good in acclimating before I purchase. But hey I must be stupid

Good Luck
Old 06/02/2003, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

I stopped by there on saturday. The place was was empty and the owners wife was asking me where everyone was. I figured most people don't know they are there yet. The tanks were impressive and they had a lot of corals. The surge devices were really cool to watch. However, most of the sps that I saw were in bad shape. Everything just looked tired or dead. I imagine it has to do with everything being so new. The prices for even the smallest coral started at $59.00 but nothing was marked. They had quite a few fish but again nothing was marked so I cannot comment on prices. I didn't feel like asking about eveything. It looks to me like they just need some time to get going. I really hope they make it. We need all the good stores in this area we can get.
Old 06/02/2003, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmiller40
Stay away from Dallas North. They are way over priced. People are always rude and not helpful. Every system has bioballs and they push cheap product that will not work and you have to keep going back to "upgrade".
I didn't know they had anything "cheap" in there!

At least they offer warranties on their livestock there.
Plus, it's only a few minutes away from where I live,
it's good for saltwater refills for emergency.
Old 06/02/2003, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

Dallas North

VERY expensive. LOL I guess since they cater to the rich and famous they think everyone can afford those prices. You know its bad when even their employees dont buy stuff from the store(even with discount).

I like Scott's, Saltwater Paradise setup. I wont lie, I think hes moved to a great store and hes got a kick *** selection. But like all stores there are problems.

1) He doesnt price his stuff. To me this is very sketchy. If I dont know how much an item is, I basically wont ask about it. He caters to Las Colinas alot. Ive talked with Scott alot about prices, and he has told me his reasons. I asked the price of a Black Pygmy Angel, she said it was pretty cheap..... $50.00 is not cheap to me for a BLACK pygmy angel . Doesnt mean I agree with him. Scott if you read this, PLEASE, put prices on your fish at least. Youll make more money that way.

2) I get very concerned when they order a Nautilus. You know the wierd spiral chelled mollusk. I was in there the other day and there one was, about 11 inches.... Thats scary to me, there are some things that are left better off in the ocean. And a nautilus definetly is.

I know LFS are there to make money. But I think many would be much better off if they tried to get on level witht he hobbiest too.
Oh how I miss The World Down Under.....(old LFS thats closed now).
Old 06/03/2003, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

I thank everyone for their feedback on my store. The store has only been setup for 3 weeks tomorrow. I have alot of improvements to make, but it has been one of the hardest things, I have ever done moving and opening this new store. It is easy to critisize a LFS but I would like everyone to think about how hard it was to just set up your own tank, much less 10,000 gallons of saltwater. This store has had over 7500 corals and 2000 in it since a month ago. everyone is always saying they arwe looking for a good reef store, well there has never been this many corals at any store in dfw. As for the chambered nautlius it is my pet, it isnt for sale and I like to think that I can keep it alive, some of us are hobbyists also, I bet that I could critisize something in your tank also but EVERYONE should be able to make their own educated decisions about what they would enjoy having in their OWN tanks.

Last edited by SALTWATER PARADISE; 06/03/2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06/03/2003, 08:07 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Scott,

Thanks for posting...but Ive always wandered about something...And one of the other members already talked about it. Why dont you put prices up? I really just hate to come in there and start asking Prices for everything. It make life so much easier for us to view and say hey thats in my price range....or thats out of my price range. Have you considered this?
Old 06/03/2003, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

To Scott,

I have been in your store numerous times. I started this post. I was the one who called and came out with my son and had to call for directions from Frisco. I also agree with the price listings. You have a sweet store. There is no comparison in Dallas. Once you are settled in and the tanks get some age it will really be sweet. Each of the three times I have been there you were on the phone for long periods of time. I know you said to come get you if we needed anything. But one of the times you were on the phone about some of the lights for you system. And did not want to interupt. Its just kind of uncomfortable to keep asking how much is this how much that. You have alot of stuff and I liked alot of stuff. I would have bought some stuff if I would have known the prices on stuff. But this is your store you run it how you like. I am just like everyone else and think it is less of a hassle if we know the price of things when looking at it.

I myself have a online vendor I use. I pretty much know his prices and know it is high quality corals or fish. So if I go to a LFS and see a bargain I by it. But I am not going to ask you the price of 2000 corals and inverts LOL. Think on it bro.

FYI there is a big and I mean big store coming to Dallas for all of you who are like me and like to venture in these stores. I will get the name of the store its on another forum I frequent. The store originated in Houston. And its all about fresh and saltwater only. No dogs or cats or any of that crap. As I learn more I will update. It could be a rumor but I have seen this on several forums now so lets wait and see.

Saltwater Paradise I know your located in Los Collinas but are you or have you thought about competing with online vendors as far as your prices. Or maybe doing coral packages stuff like that? Think on it. I know you have mouths to feed but just cannot understand why LFS are not as competitive with online vendors. Remember word travels fast on these forums. And a owner who is about making money and keeping customers coming through the door goes along way. ( Have some sales, make some things negotiatable, fair pricing ) Just a thought its your hard work and your store. Not telling you how to run or operate so please dont take it as so. Just a little customer imput I hope you make it and put some pressure on some other stores in the area.

115 DAS Reef, 215 Oceanic Reef/in construction.
Old 06/03/2003, 09:08 PM
Moved On

Catfish,

Hey the store is Aquarium Enviroments, it is at park and greenville. I think it opens saterday tenative...... You can get their phone number on yahoo and call.

They have been their for a while but only did customs aquariums systems(in dallas). I think their website is aquariumenviroments.com. It will be awsome and lots cheaper, i have been told. Houston has a large reef industry and they have lots of stores allowing for lower prices. I sure hope we can get some of those deals
Old 06/03/2003, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Scott

Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, but I agree with everything Mariner says. I do feel sorta weird asking the price on everything Id like to take home. You have TONS of stuff in your store and it makes me sorta unconfortable when I ask prices from the people in your store and they are not too sure about them. I know your settling in and hope once you get done there will be prices.

As for the Nautilus, well, Im not sure about thier requirements. If its a molusk that can be kept in a aquarium go for it. But I havent read about htem being kept succesfully. Me, no matter how beautiful an animal is, if i cant keep it correvlty ill pass it up. You, Im sure youve read up on it and are prepared to care for it. After all you have a store at your disposable. I was just under the impression that it was for sale or something(I can see some rich doctor or someone walk in and say "COOL! I dont have one of those... then 3 days later, RIP"

Shooot.... If Saltwater Paradise could be competitive with Online Vendors, man Im all about that. Thats what we need in dallas, our own Jeffs Exotic Fish-like emporium.
Old 06/03/2003, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Why can't your local grocery, hardware, appliance, camera, jewelry store, etc. etc. etc. compete with online prices or large wholesale stores like Sams or even Walmart? If you notice I said local(whoops most those places where the owner could give you personal service with a good product and a reasonable profit are gone.) The reasons are overhead, electricity costs, RETAIL rental costs, 40-400watt MH, 30 something pumps, insurance,bonding, warranties, local advertising, service vehicles, insurance on them,tires etc. etc. and not as much buying power. But one day if all LFS are a thing of the past the prices that are so great online to some will rise because of demand and lack of avenues that buyers have. Then the people that enjoy going and looking and maybe finding something special for their tank will be the real losers in this. Also is it not the AMERICAN DREAM to own and operate your own business, and maybe make a profit. Like I said earlier it is easy to critisize but it is my $500,000 dollar investment, my familys future, and my dream riding on this store. I am trying to build the best store in this part of the nation, but it takes more than 3 weeks. I will do all I can to have reasonable prices that are posted(as soon as feasible) and the biggest and best selection possible.

Last edited by SALTWATER PARADISE; 06/03/2003 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06/04/2003, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

The Fish Gallery

In reply to an earlier post, yes, there is going to be a new fish store in Dallas, called Fish Gallery. Our sister company is Aquarium Environments, which is a maintenance company that started in Houston. We will be opening our doors this Saturday, but we've still got some work to do, so our grand opening will be looming in the not too distant future. We plan on having an awesome selection of corals and reef fish and are already making plans to expand our salt water section. So come check us out! We are located at Park Lane and Greenville Ave. For more precise directions go to aquariumenvironments.com. Hope to see you guys soon!
Old 06/04/2003, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Hey bro noone is knocking you for making a profit. I own my own business as well. I know where you are coming from. Noone is saying you have to compete with online vendors. I was merely stating I am hoping you will be competitive with them. I dont know if your reasonable or not. You were busy on the phone chewing some *** over your MH bulbs and hoods. (Can't say I blame you ) thats why I did not ask you to walk around with me the whole time giving me prices. I know your clams are better priced and better looking then most online. Thats a bargain. We are just giving you imput on what would help from a customer stand point. No need to get defensive. I liked your store. But if I cant see prices and I have to ask for a price on every single piece its not worth it. Thats just how I feel. I am not speaking for your loyal customers just me. I found your store and liked it enough to share with the rest on this forum in Dallas area.

And I always thought the best adverstisement was from a happy customer. Guess I am thinking wrong. Good day and good luck

Old 06/04/2003, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

bout time monti, ive rode the train plenty times at park lane questioning why that isent an actual walk in fish store
Old 06/04/2003, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

I appreciate the input, really I am just trying to explain a LFS owners point of view it is really hard to please everyone, so much has gone through my store in such a short amount of time and it is really hard to keep up with all the problems encountered daily in a new store. Really the only reason I even posted anything is that it irks me when someones downgrades me or any hobbyist for their own particular PERSONAL selection in fish or corals. Such as if a "rich doctor buys that nautilus it may die in a couple of days. Maybe, but alot of us have killed fish or corals accidentally, or have overstepped in purchasings items, but if not how would this hobby successfully evovled to the point it is now.
Old 06/04/2003, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Well said. See you soon bro looking forward to stopping by again soon.

Old 06/04/2003, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Sorry

I want trying to criticize you on your personal selection of creatures for your tank. The only reason I said anything is because all too often you hear about someone walking into a LFS, seeing somethign they dont have and making an uneducated buy. Much too often this ends in the death of that animal.

Bulletin Boards like Reefcentral are here to make sure that doesnt happen so often.

Well Ill shut up now as it feels like Im walking on eggshells.
Old 06/06/2003, 11:03 AM
Moved On

New Store opening tommorrow

Aquarium Enviroments will be opening it retail store tommorrow at 10 AM. They are at the corner of Park and greenville, 6955 greenville. This store is "supposed"to be the best reef store in DFW. They have good reputation in the Houston area. Come check it out, I know I will.
Old 06/06/2003, 11:12 AM
Moved On

In defense of Saltwater, I have read that several people have able to keep a nautilus . It is very hard but can be done. They need Cold water
Old 06/07/2003, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

For the Dallas Peeps Part 2

Well I visited Aquarium Enviroments today. Met Monti who is running the saltwater portion of the store. The store is very clean still in the process of setting up all his saltwater display tanks. They seem to be very customer oriented. And the prices are reasonable from what I seen. I purchased a pair of Manderines, they were nice and healthy with some really nice colors. Monti also mentioned he would be interested in healthy frags in the near future for store credit for those interested. I would personally give them a few weeks to get all the tanks going if your wanting to be impressed. But if your looking to see some really nice display tanks they have them in the back with a huge reef. All in all with customer service they seem like a contender for the Dallas area. If the prices stay low and his corals are as healthy as his fish this store could be what we are looking for in Dallas for a LFS.