Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/05/2003, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Angry helios sucks

My tank and lights are less than 4 months old and already, the stupid ballast is tore up! It's a Helios 4x55. I've heard problems about them before, but I thought they had resolved it. I guess not. The atintics were the only thing on this morning. I switched cords and the others worked, so it has to be the ballast. If I had the $$$ I would just switch to MH.

Thanks for listening to me bi***.
Old 05/05/2003, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

I had the same problem - the issues, as I have found out, is only with the 4x55 watt ballast. I had to buy an extra 2x55 watt ballast and it is OK.

They are still working on the fix, but I have heard they will not have "fixed" 4x55 watt ballasts done until late May.

Do not send your back for a fix, beacuse they wil not have a replacement for you for a while.

If you have $50, you can buy a temporary fix - the 2x55 watt ballast until the 4x55 watt is fixed.

Just a thought, but still a pain in the ***.

Jason
Old 05/05/2003, 10:42 AM
Fish Addict

Have you opened the box up? if you can get at the wiring, substituting a new ballast isn't very hard....or very expensive really.
Old 05/05/2003, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs down

I agree. Helios sucks big time. My lights are only four months old and the ballast went out in two months time. Same thing, one side. I have been all over Commodity Axis like a fly on @##$ and they assured me they will send a replacement out asap. The old addage, I'll believe it when I see it. I'll keep you posted.

"So....How much is this going to cost me?"
Old 05/06/2003, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

I took the ballast to the LFS where I bought it. They looked at it, played with the wires a while, then called Helios. The guy he needed to talk to was "out" for the day. LFS owner says he will have me a new one from Helios no later than 2 weeks. I won't hold my breath. Meanwhile, I hope my corals don't die. I'll keep you posted.

I'm keeping my half working ballast until I get a replacement. Then they can have it.
Old 05/06/2003, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Helios Ballast

Good luck!! I hope your LFS can help you. Commodity Axis who manufactures the Helios lights (or at least the supplier, not quite sure) is based here in Southern California. My LFS has been down there personally has he has many problem ballasts with many customers screaming at him. He has been put off and put off. He is too nice of a guy and that's why I'm dealing with Commodity Axis direct. I'll let you know as it goes.

Rob

Old 05/07/2003, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Let me know what happens. They don't want me to have to come to CA! LOL j/k!
Old 05/07/2003, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb Ballasts

I have two VHO's on my tank and run them off of a HO ballast I bought a LOWE's for about $32 and have had no problems not even any flickering. They seem to run perfect and I have had the ballast over a year now. The ballast is designed to run two 8' HO bulbs at 96 watts a piece and I am running two 48" VHOs at 110 watts a piece.
Old 05/07/2003, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanks chetscc, for the tip. That sounds like a pretty cheap alternative right now.
Old 05/08/2003, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

I spoke too soon.

My 2x55w ballast crapped out - unreal.

The lights look very cool, but the ballasts are complete crap.
Old 05/09/2003, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

That's terrible! If Helios had any brains they would either replace immediately, or refund money for the screwed up ballasts they're selling. And stop selling anymore until the problem is resolved. They have lost me as a customer for sure. I guess they haven't realized the impact that the internet can have on a business.
Old 05/09/2003, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

One would think that a reputable company would follow your advice. Makes me wonder if this company is sincere in providing a quality product and standing behind their product if it's defective. In this case, I think it's pretty dog gone clear that the ballasts are defective.

With the lack of replacing the defective ballasts, it tells me that the maker doesn't give a rip. Hence, I don't give a rip if they go under. I will never buy another product from this company.

Rob

Old 05/10/2003, 07:21 AM
Registered Member

Just to update. Helios did email me today and advised that the "new" ballasts are to go out on Monday. I'll let you know if and when I see them.

Rob

Old 05/10/2003, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

That's great! Now if we can only get our hands on one!
Old 05/10/2003, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

PLEASE post again when you get the fixed ballast - I need two replaced and would ove to know if I can actually get them fixed/replaced quickly.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 05/11/2003, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

will do.
Old 05/14/2003, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

My LFS called the Helios guy on his cell phone after 4 days of answered calls. The guy told him that he didn't have a ballast to replace it with! LFS said, what am I suppposed to tell the customer? He said YOU deal with it, she's YOUR customer not MINE!!! Can you believe that BS!!! I have HIS screwed up lights on my tank and he says I'm not HIS customer! To make a long story short...The LFS bought me a Brand Spanking New Coralife hood with built in ballast for all the trouble! He said he would no longer sell any helios products

Take this Helios!!!!!!

I'm glad I have a LFS that stands behind what they sell, or else I would be SOL like I'm afraid many of you will be.
Old 05/14/2003, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

My roomate has the 4x55 and had the ballast break so only two would light, returned it and got a new ballast. That worked for a few days and then broke as well. He found out if he unplugs the light from the ballast, flips the switch, and then plugs the light in they will then light sometimes. Definitely wouldn't recommend these lights to anyone else.
Old 05/22/2003, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

ehh... andd another to your guyses list... mine blew out today i guess im lucky tho.... this one that blew out lasted for 4 months than the usual 2 months the other 3 replacements have...

Terrorists to the modern SPS reefer.
Old 05/22/2003, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

before I knew about the probs, I bought 2 4x55 watt for myself and 1 2x55 watt for my Dad.

Mine died a while ago - now I am replacing with IceCap ballasts.

My Dad's just died yesterday.

When will it all end?

I still cannot beloive that this company sold such poor ballasts.
Old 05/22/2003, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

I don't know much about the law, but I think its time for a class action suit. There's got to be many people out there who spent good money on these lights only to receive a defective product and a company that won't stand behind the junk its putting out.

Rob

Old 05/22/2003, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Rob, I take it you did not receive the replacement ballasts?
Old 05/23/2003, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Not as of yet. I say this because I am at least getting responses to my emails from the manufacturer. They keep telling me they will look into the status of my replacements.

I'm not going to give up on this one. I have already replaced my lighting, but its the principle. I'll let you know when I get the replacements.

Rob

Old 05/23/2003, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

pbrpinky.... Hellolights is having a sale on the 250w MH retro for 138.95 each w/o bulb. It have a 3yrs warranty on the ballast super nice people. I'm currently using their 2x110w VHO ballast for 2months now so far so good. You might want to give them a shot.

Richard
Old 05/23/2003, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

I would do that, but for now I'm only keeping corals that do well with PC's. And the LFS replaced the defective setup with a completely new one. I'm happy now with what I have. I'm very new at reefing, so I'm sure I'll change my mind somewhere down the road...after all, I am a woman...I'm good at changing my mind!

Note to self: I can get those lights when I set up the 125g next year!