Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/01/2004, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Water Source for RO/DI. Tap or Wellwater?

I have a new Captive Purity 4 stage Pro RO/DI that I am setting up very soon, and I have the option to set it up in a laundry room, where there is a faucet near a drain with a valve that is for wellwater. Then there is also a big sink with a faucet that will allow me to use the purifier. But the sink gets used frequently.

The wellwater will be more convenient that using the faucet with tapwater, but I want to make sure I am making the right decision. I imagine that the contaminant in wellwater is mineral, and with tap it is chemicals. Which is more harmful?

On a side note; Is it bad to leave the RO/DI hooked up to a water source?

Thanks, Joe
Old 02/01/2004, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Oya, the TDS reading fr St. Cloud tapwater is about 250. Haven't tested wellwater, and no longer have the TDS meter.

Joe
Old 02/01/2004, 09:11 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

If you have a RO/DI, you should really get your own TDS meter. You will not know when you have trouble if you don't.

250 is not bad. I have seen well water that is over 600. But some wells are better than others.

Well water will not have chlorine in it, so that is one thing you would not have to worry about.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 02/01/2004, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

The Captive Purity machine has a meter that tells you when impurities are passing through.
We may end up getting one also.

Joe
Old 02/02/2004, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

*bump*

That wellwater spout is looking tempting, but I could be terribly wrong.....

Joe
Old 02/02/2004, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

The real difference (based on content) between using one or the other will be how long your carbon and DI cartridges last before needing replacement. With either hook-up, the output from your DI cartridge should be 2 or less as measured with a TDS meter.
Old 02/02/2004, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

We live on a farm and have a well and our RO/DI system has been hooked in for several years and there has never been a problem. Your filters might need changing more frequenty but it has never presented a problem for us. I have them hooked up in the laundry room on the washer faucets and just shoved the excess water line down the drain pipe with the hose from the washer.

Snailman
Old 02/02/2004, 05:49 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Would you really even need the carbon filter?

It's primary function is to protect the membrane by removeing the chlorine, right?

Just double up on the sedements. 5 micron then a 1 micron.

Old 02/02/2004, 05:50 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

One thing I just thought of.

You might get some unwanted stuff growing on the cartriges due to extra living things in the water.

I have seen the cartriges from my buddies system that was on the well, and they really smelled bad. Kind of yellow and slimy also.

Lots of variables in play here.

Old 02/02/2004, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Mine's been running off of my well for years with no problems. Keep in mind that well water pressure is typically lower than that of a municipal water supply so you may want to get a booster pump. My house pressure is at 45 and a booster pump for my RODI takes it up to 85 or so.
Old 02/02/2004, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

It is very important to have a .5 or 1 micron filter before the RO unit. The SDI (Silt Density Index), which is a test that shows the amount of particulates in water, will be very high in well water compaired to city water. Higher particulates can foul or scale a membrane if not removed in a prefillter. While high chlorine levels are not good for a R/O unit, the removal of all bacteria and microrganisms are very important to remove before an R/O unit. The bacteria can foul the membrane and cause major problems.

So, if you go with well water make sure you have a good pre-filter before the R/O unit. Also, the well water will have a higher TDS and therefor the wear on the whole unit will be greater then using city water which has a lower TDS (Total Dissolved Solids).
Old 02/02/2004, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bstone
It is very important to have a .5 or 1 micron filter before the RO unit. The SDI (Silt Density Index), which is a test that shows the amount of particulates in water, will be very high in well water compaired to city water. Higher particulates can foul or scale a membrane if not removed in a prefillter. While high chlorine levels are not good for a R/O unit, the removal of all bacteria and microrganisms are very important to remove before an R/O unit. The bacteria can foul the membrane and cause major problems.

So, if you go with well water make sure you have a good pre-filter before the R/O unit. Also, the well water will have a higher TDS and therefor the wear on the whole unit will be greater then using city water which has a lower TDS (Total Dissolved Solids).
Thank you very much. That is exactly what I needed to hear.

Joe
Old 02/03/2004, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

I just wanted to state again, that if you go with the well water, make sure you check the unit for bacteria growth. If the unit will start to smell then damage to the DI, RO, and prefilters will occur. This would also cause major bacteria problems in your tank.

If I had to choose, I would use city water!