Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2003, 01:19 PM
Moved On

I appoligize MarkS,
It seems somebody has deleted the part from your post where you refer to me as the person you would like to "insert your favorite word to describe", on page two of this thread (and in my quotes of you on page 4). I dont know if it was you of admin, but someone deleted it from my post as well. So, being that I cant assert anything without someone covering up what they need to...let me just say that you did flame me, i didnt flame you, i just got defensive after you flamed, and i dont know why that letter is written to me from admin, because before certain things were deleted...that letter should have been written to MarkS. But I will quit this argument now, because all anyone has to do about my complaint is delete the info they need to make me look bad.
Old 10/31/2003, 01:26 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Perhaps if you 2 want to discuss who flamed who you can do that elsewhere & let the rest of us get on with discussion of this thread. Everyone goes about their setup in a different way, discussion & improvement of these methods is what makes RC great. But there is no need to trash an idea or each other.
Lets hear more discussion of the overflow ideas. Take the flaming discussion to the Lounge or PM/E-mail.
Thanx
Old 10/31/2003, 01:27 PM
Crap Under User Name

That wasn't me. That was justgettinstarted. I posted the reply asking that we try to keep this thread open, in response to that reply you are refering to.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 10/31/2003, 01:28 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
Perhaps if you 2 want to discuss who flamed who you can do that elsewhere & let the rest of us get on with discussion of this thread. Everyone goes about their setup in a different way, discussion & improvement of these methods is what makes RC great. But there is no need to trash an idea or each other.
Lets hear more discussion of the overflow ideas. Take the flaming discussion to the Lounge or PM/E-mail.
Thanx
I'd normally agree, but until Greg posted, my main reason for replying to him was to show the sharp difference in his replies and mine. I was determined to let a mod take care of it and needed ammo to back that up. I'm done with wetworx...

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 10/31/2003, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Ok, addressed to EVERYONE!

[flamealert]

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 10/31/2003, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Mean while back at the ranch.....

Minfinger looks good to me as far as an overflow box goes it certainly worth a try. What I've noticed is the first thing I tried was just two pipes coming up from the bulkheads with screens - wow what a racket. So I though heh if I fix that this will be fine. Nope I took them off so it was just bulkheads and found that the water falling from the elbow in the back was fairly loud even with vent holes of different sizes. It was nothing compared to the gurgle from the screened overflows but it was still annoying. Anyway I could go on and on too each his own.
Old 10/31/2003, 02:41 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I'm going to be drilling a 125g, viewable on both sides, one end will be against a wall. So I am looking at drilling the overflows on that end. Dual 1.5" drains, 2.5" bulkheads. Still researching, this overflow idea sounds great.
Old 10/31/2003, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Make sure you mock it up without gluing because it does flow a little less water IMO.
Old 10/31/2003, 03:11 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

It's actually glass, but after reading about the mock-ups others have tried, seems like a great idea. Even if it leaks a little, it will give me a good indication of water level & flow rates/problems.
Hopefully no problems....
Better to test, then silicone, then have to rip it apart & do over.
Old 10/31/2003, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wetworx101
I appoligize MarkS,
It seems somebody has deleted the part from your post where you refer to me as the person you would like to "insert your favorite word to describe", on page two of this thread (and in my quotes of you on page 4). I dont know if it was you of admin, but someone deleted it from my post as well. So, being that I cant assert anything without someone covering up what they need to...let me just say that you did flame me, i didnt flame you, i just got defensive after you flamed, and i dont know why that letter is written to me from admin, because before certain things were deleted...that letter should have been written to MarkS. But I will quit this argument now, because all anyone has to do about my complaint is delete the info they need to make me look bad.
wetworx101.... your posts were edited by me. If you look at the very bottom of the edited posts you will see that.

Snailman
Old 10/31/2003, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Mines still in the yard with a couple joints glued was debating siliconing the rest not to sure about the hanging vertical joints but I think I'll silicone the elbows and T's.
Old 10/31/2003, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Marks can across a little strong but wetwerx your arguing points I don't think you've tried. The peeps here who have tried this plumbing are fairly unanimous. If you don't want to try it fine, if you try it and don't like it great but your arguing with someone who has tried both and picked one. Critique - fine, argue - no thanks.
Old 10/31/2003, 06:46 PM
Crap Under User Name

I want to go on with this thread, but I need to set the record straight and clear my name.

The accusation that wetworx is making against me at the top of page 5 is misdirected. I did not post that, nor did I post anything in this thread that could be taken as a direct flame against anyone. What wetworx is refering to was posted by justgettinstarted in the post with the big red words on page 3. None of my posts have been edited by a moderator in this thread. All of my posts have gone long past the 60 minute limit for editing, so I could not have edited my own posts.

I have never and would never post something like that, no matter how much someone has ticked me off. Period.

As far as his quotes in page 4 of what I supposedly said, I cannot find these in this thread or in the thread in the nano forum...

Quote:
I NEVER posted this...

"its not redundant
I know the overflow box determines the water level in the tank...

THE STANDPIPE DETERMINES THE WATER HEIGHT INSIDE THE OVERFLOW"
-MArkS

I DID post this...

"You seem to want to take everything as a flame."
-MarkS
I don't mean to keep this thing going, but I am REALLY confused. I am being accused of things that I did not do and I want some sort of resolution to this. It makes me very angry to have my words twisted and to have someone put words in my mouth.

I would love for all of my replies in regards to wetworx to be deleted along with the replies by wetworx that had nothing to do with this thread or did not contribute to this thread. I hate to see a thread dragged down this path, especially when it is as usefull as this one is. It would be REAL nice to "start over".

Mark

Old 10/31/2003, 08:31 PM
Reefin Maniac

geeze man

I post and I get buried over this crud and did not get anywhere with it.

Just give it a rest and move on..ALL OF YOU !!!! PLEASE
It has been on going all damn day now.
This is what makes ppl turn away...it is ugly

If that is not enough then take it elsewhere like Greag said and get it worked out there.

This bites
Old 10/31/2003, 08:33 PM
Reefin Maniac

Sorry typo....GREG not Greag
Old 11/01/2003, 02:44 AM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

rspar...maybe soon I'll be able to test my design, but I don't ahve a tank to play with right now. As soon as I get my new stand built I'll throw together the overflow and see how it goes.
Old 11/01/2003, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

geeze man

I post and I get buried over this crud and did not get anywhere with it.

I hear that...

FYI... i posted the "FLAME" so shoot me... but dont waste my time posting about that in here please... send me a PM, i dont go into other peoples threads telling them how my idea is better, so if you wanna promote you elbow or whatever it is... maybe you should make your own post. Thx

now to answer your question....

These drains will most likely drain a little slower than one of equivalent diameter in the classical setup... which is why i reccomend the use of a larger bulkhead than you would normally use...

I think that this would work well for your design drilling both sides of the tank... i would drill the outsides of the side (closer the the edges)... and then have the plumbing parallel to the short sides of the tank (but coming towards one another)...

And to the person that said something about a dolphin and an iwaki... I dont understand why you would want to have a smaller pump on your closed loop... IMO you would be better off using the dolfin on the closed loop and the smaller pump on the sump return... you are just asking for problems with that much water flowing through your sump/refugi system unless it is really big... Sump to tank turnover is really not all that super important as long as it happens... (50X is no better than 5X)

in my tank right now i have a 1000gph on the closed loop and ~300 on the sump... and my skimmer still pulls out all kinds of stuff and tank is looking awesome... so you might consider that...

how many GPH are you going to try and get???

Last edited by justgettinstarted; 11/01/2003 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11/01/2003, 01:13 PM
Reefin Maniac

justgettinstarted

I hope the FYI was not directed towards me,,,

Anyway I have 4 holes already drilled for 1" bulkheads.
Over 4' these are 6" in from each end then 12" apart for the remaining two.
I was going to TEE them together but I think it would be best to keep them seperate and have two drains verses the two together turned into one.

I plan on doing the elbow up with a small piece of pipe cut short enough to adjust for the water level.

In my mind when I imagin this it looks like it would work out very well.

Brian
Old 11/01/2003, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

I hope the FYI was not directed towards me,,,

nope! it wasnt... it was for everone's info! LOL

Anyway I have 4 holes already drilled for 1" bulkheads.
Over 4' these are 6" in from each end then 12" apart for the remaining two. I was going to TEE them together but I think it would be best to keep them seperate and have two drains verses the two together turned into one.

i would not connect them together... 1 clog can effectively stop 2 overflows if you do that... after the standpipe you could connect them into a large pipe...

I plan on doing the elbow up with a small piece of pipe cut short enough to adjust for the water level.

sounds good... are you going to use an overflow box? i dont remember if you said so or not?
Old 11/01/2003, 01:43 PM
Reefin Maniac

Nope no box
I want all the space
Old 11/01/2003, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

you may wany 1 overflow so that you can skim the surface... because if you dont pull and water in off of the surface then you are going to get a nasty layer that builds up after a few days or so
Old 11/01/2003, 05:30 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

justgettinstarted,

If you have enough surface agitation with a PH or a return, you should be fine. If you surface water is sitting still then you just flat out don't have enough water movement in your tank.

Everyone,

Guys check out this one..biodragon got me thinking about using multiple bulkheads...

The black part are 90 degree Elbows
The Green is a T up to the Red T with the Dark Blue Air valve on top.
The Yellow is the downflow to the sump

If you ran 2 1" bulkheads to a T that was 1" to 1.5". It would take more water to fill up the 1.5" PVC to the 1.5" T down to the sump.

It should pull more water out of the tank.

If you had 4 bulkheads and then 2 down pipes...Plumb the 2 1.5" down pipes together and then down to the sump. This would allow a lot of water to flow out of the 4 1" bulkheads and then down from the tank. IMO

P.S. Please either quote me or put "minfinger," in the message if you responding to me designs. I'm loosing track of the conversation with all the other junk in here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overflow.jpg (7.9 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by minfinger; 11/01/2003 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11/01/2003, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

It definitely runs slower but I still like it. I have 2 x 1.5" drains and if I shut one off it slowly over-fills if I shut one 3/4 it still runs normal. Thats with a 900gph pump tops putting out 600-700gph. I also traded the T's for Y's using black sewer pipe instead.
Old 11/01/2003, 09:57 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Sewer pipe...Is that safe? There's some stuff at Lowes that' a dark grey PVC...Is that safe to use? I've seen it in Y's sometimes and it also comes in weird sizes.
Old 11/02/2003, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

If I am not mistaken (and it wouldn't be the first time), the grey pipe that you are thinking of is electrical pvc. It is safe to use, as far as I know and it glues up just like the CPVC. The difference is that it is rated resistant to UV rays. It can be run outside.
"Be still and know that I am God" Psalms 46:10