Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/19/2003, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

you said it yourself. weather you order or not. meaning that this person may not order something. you are calling back in regards to a ? not in regards to an order necassarily purchased.

But, either way in the united states it is illegal, without your consent, to sell your phone number. basically if you dont tell them to take your number off there list then you just gave consent for t his company to sell your number. why not just tell them at the time to not sell your number based on the privacy act.
Old 09/19/2003, 02:51 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by sirrcb
with all due respect. You must admit Perry has an unusual way of dealing with disgruntled customers. Gruff, direct. you bet. That's being nice.
Chris,

That's never been an issue. More than a few people have differences with CL's "customer service," and they're welcome to discuss these issues here on RC. My issues with some of what has been said in this thread have absolutely nothing to do with posters' customer service experience with Champion.

Hope I cleared that up,
Kevin
Old 09/19/2003, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Champion Lighting guys:

In have ordered once from you and will NEVER AGAIN from a bunch of rude and ill mannered individuals such as yourselves.

I think many others will agree.

90 Gallon reef SPS, LPS, Soft Corals, 40 Gallon Sump with Refugium, Euroreef CS6-2 Skimmer, Korallin Calcium Reactor, Ph Controller, (2)250W MH + (2) 96W VHO Actinics
Old 09/19/2003, 04:08 PM
RC Sponsor

In this world you get what you give.
There is nothing ruder that someone with a MINOR complaint, or someone who
puts a fake phone number on an order, or someone with no connection at all
to the situation to pipe in and try to bash our reputation.
We are aquarists, not psychologists.
I don't know what anger issues would prompt someone to statr a thread calling us "jerks"
when the problem was completely of his own making.
I don't know what would prompt someone who received
exactly what he wanted, promptly, and then was given the opportunity to return the
order for a full refund to start another thread, again bashing the big bad company.
It's easy to hide behind the keyboard, but we are real human beings on this end.
Again, if anyone,anywhere has been cheated by, owed money by, deceived by
or defrauded by Champion please bring it to my attention.

Perry
Old 09/19/2003, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Champion Lighting & Supply
In this world you get what you give.
I don't know what anger issues would prompt someone to statr a thread calling us "jerks"
when the problem was completely of his own making.
Perry
I dont understand where giving a fake phone number to someone is rude. could you please verify how it is rude. Thanks

I am not bashin you just saying that how you reply to these comments show that the customer service of this company is not very good. I am not saying I would never buy from you. i dont think customer service is the #1 priority when I order things. Promptness is =].
Old 09/19/2003, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

I have never seen a vendor come off with so much attitude towards unhappy customers. I have seen at least 5 people post in this thread that said they were unhappy with the customer service they received. And yet the vendor comes back and bashes everyone. Wow. So lets see. The company has decent prices, BUT has terrible customer service, and takes forever to ship. LEts compare. Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics great prices, excellent customer service, and they ship within the same day (or week for that matter). Enough said....
Old 09/19/2003, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

This thread is rapidly spiraling downhill. The back and forth arguing is going to cause the thread to be closed. Then all of you can whine that RC closed or deleted the thread. BUT the truth will be that you all are going to cause it to be closed if this is continued and like griss warned you some posting privilages could be in jeopardy. If you have a direct experience then share it and you are welcome to discuss it. Otherwise read the thread and then move on.

Snailman
Old 09/19/2003, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

champion lighting

Called on 9/16 looking for a new pump. Told them what I wanted. They asked if I had ordered before. Gave them name and phone number. Credit card on file. Entire conversation took less than 60 seconds. Pump arrived three days later 9/19. You can't ask for any more than that. I know some complain about these guys but I have had nothing but top notch service over the years.
Old 09/19/2003, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
There is nothing ruder that someone with a MINOR complaint . . .
I can think of something ruder . . . and that would be a vendor that wouldn't take EVERY complaint seriously. I feel that the customer wouldn't think it "MINOR."

Old 09/19/2003, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

I've placed 2 orders with Champion, one I received in a reasonable amount of time, not the fastest or the slowest I've received mail order. The other I only ordered two days ago, so I don't expect to see it yet. Both times the web sight said normally shipping would be 8 bucks. It was $8 both times. The first item was a dual Bak-Pak skimmer that was @ $50 dollars less than I could find it anyplace else....I was happy with the deal. My last order was about 6 dollars less than I found anyplace else. If it shows up in a reasonable time, I'll be happy.

I've never had a need for their customer service, but I'm pretty happy with saving 50 dollars on a $150 purchase and $6 dollars on a $22 dollar purchase. And if a hole is the wrong size on a do-it-myself project...I'll use a washer if it's to big or a drill bit if it's to small.

jmo

John
Old 09/19/2003, 10:35 PM
You did what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rrrf_Grrl
I can think of something ruder . . . and that would be a vendor that wouldn't take EVERY complaint seriously. I feel that the customer wouldn't think it "MINOR."

If your going to quote someone's post you need to at least finsh the sentence. You make it sound like he doesn't like people who call with a minor complaint. If you read and posted the whole sentence you will see he doesn't like people with a minor complaint bashing his reputation and that is understandable.
Quote:

Perry
Old 09/20/2003, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

To the Moderators, Perry, et al

It was I, who started this thread only after the following events. After I received my partial order
I called Champion to discuss calmly the course of events as I saw them. Whether Perry thought I
had a legitimate complaint or not, perception is reality. In our discussion The person I spoke
with continued to talk over me and continued to do so until I finally had enough, and had to get
loud enough for him to stop talking. When I was finished telling this person what I had to say it
had become clear it was falling upon deaf ears. I took it to the next level, again in a private
manner, to their web address and wrote to customer service. ( this was for nothing else but to
inform them of my displeasure of their manners more than anything) This person treated me in
manner that I am not accustom, nor did I think I should settle for it. I clearly stated that if they
were not going to do anything to appease me, that I was going to post my dissatisfaction for
others to read. I waited a week and felt I had reached a point with the vendor that there was no
other recourse. I have for the most part kept my feelings to a civil level and I feel to some degree
that the playing field has not been on level from the vendors end. These are my feelings and my
feelings alone. I merely posted this to bring awareness to others and to the vendor. I do feel that
to some extent that this situation has been exacerbated by the vendor more so than by other
posts. I want to be very clear for everyone, this was about customer service more than anything
else. Perry sold me products which are basically fine the shipping deal he gave me was fine. I
was not fine in the way that I was treated, it is this plain and simple Ladies and Gentleman. I
don’t want this thread to end on a sour note, I had truly hoped there could have a passive way to
resolve all of this. For those of you who have had a good experience with Champion that’s great,
this thread was not started on the basis of ill will, it was just an awareness issue. For the record, I
don’t think my complaint was minor in nature and I feel that this a great forum to express myself
Perry– I hope that when we meet in Boston next year at MACNA that we can shake hands, I’ll
leave my keyboard at home, how about you?

Best Regards

Chris Sirr
Old 09/20/2003, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

champion

I agree - I've ordered 2 custom sea life hoods, a chiller, pumps, basically most of the items for my 220 from them. Excellent quality product, good pricing, good service.

emerson
Old 09/30/2003, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

I ordered a bulb from Champion this moring, I still have not received my tracking number. My UPS shipping software (worldship) indicates that PA is 3 days ground to me. I spoke to someone on the phone this AM and was told the package would ship today that I would'nt need to seld 2nd Day Air as my shipping choice.

I'll tell you want though, if my bulb wasnt shipped today Im cancelling my order and going with www.Hellolights.com who incidently has the same 400w Ushio 20k for 8 dollars less.

Ups says that 2nd Day would have cost me 9.45 but champion told me I would have to pay them 20.00---ya right. they wouldnt even let me ship it on my own account.
Old 10/01/2003, 08:54 AM
RC Sponsor

<<I ordered a bulb from Champion this moring, I still have not received my tracking number. My UPS shipping software (worldship) indicates that PA is 3 days ground to me. I spoke to someone on the phone this AM and was told the package would ship today that I would'nt need to seld 2nd Day Air as my shipping choice.
I ordered a bulb from Champion this moring, I still have not received my tracking number. My UPS shipping software (worldship) indicates that PA is 3 days ground to me. I spoke to someone on the phone this AM and was told the package would ship today that I would'nt need to seld 2nd Day Air as my shipping choice.
I'll tell you want though, if my bulb wasnt shipped today Im cancelling my order and going with www.Hellolights.com who incidently has the same 400w Ushio 20k for 8 dollars less.
Ups says that 2nd Day would have cost me 9.45 but champion told me I would have to pay them 20.00---ya right. they wouldnt even let me ship it on my own account.
Ups says that 2nd Day would have cost me 9.45 but champion told me I would have to pay them 20.00---ya right. they wouldnt even let me ship it on my own account.>>

You _phoned_ in the order on Sept 30th...it shipped on Sept. 30 th..
The 400 W. 20 K ushio is 92.00 at hello lights..we charged 79.90
Shipping ground is 8.00
You can not get a tracking # untill the order ships. The tracking # was e mailed to you at 9:30 AM, October 1,
It was generated at 5 pm. If you had ordered on line, you would have reveived the tracking when you got your confirmation.
On a phone order, it was to be done as a customer courtesy.
No, we do not ship on customer's UPS accounts for a number of reasons, including the fact that if the package is lost, stolen or broken, _you_, not us are liable.
As I see it, we shipped the product as fast a humanly posible, we saved you money on the product, asd saved you money on shipping costs, as 2 nd day was not necessary.
What, exactly is the problem ?
perry
Old 10/01/2003, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Hey Champion!

I owe you boys an apology, you got my order out same day and saved me money--it does'nt get any better than that!!

I must say that i got a little jumpy after reading some negative comments from the members here at RC.

cheers,
Joe
Old 10/01/2003, 11:33 AM
RC Sponsor

You apology is warmly accepted.
I think if you read over these" complaints" you will find them baseless.
Some people make their own problems, and then are quick to blame the big bad merchant.
Buying anything is a 2 way street, it requires cooperation from the merchant and from the buyer.
Some people evidently lack the maturity to understand that concept.
Perry
Old 10/01/2003, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

I"m not much for Champion either that's why I always use Custom Aquatics. Try them next time.
Old 10/01/2003, 07:05 PM
RC Sponsor

<<I"m not much for Champion either that's why I always use Custom Aquatics. Try them next time>>
Just curious..do you have a name?
Did you ever order from Champion..and have a problem ?
It's just kind of curious that you're in the hobby for 15 years, but just registered, and this is your 2 nd post.
Perry
Old 10/01/2003, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Hi Perry, I was just wondering what any of this has to do with experience in the hobby. Are you saying that every one that has very little posts but say they have lots of experience is lying? I have seen a few people suggest that if you have under 100 posts you don't know what you are talking about, that seems kind of strange to me. Man if this is true we have a lot of people that are lying out there. I don't know if I am missing something here or what, but it would be great if you could explain this to me.

Cody M.
Quote:
It's just kind of curious that you're in the hobby for 15 years, but just registered, and this is your 2 nd post.
Old 10/01/2003, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

First off my name is Vic and I have purchased from u in the past and had a problem it was'nt your but the mans. and u corrected it quickly. I have a had friends who have purchased and u shipped there order billed the card and did'nt send everything out of stock or backorder but charged the card! I just like Custom Aquatics better because Jeff, Todd or John are freindly and helpfull not just quick to make the sale and get to the next call. As far as me just posting a thread I only went on RC to let people know about the killer corals that they can get from ReefScience.com who they may not about because they can't afford to advertise on 10 or more pages in FAMA every month. Ask Kevin at Quality Gold Fish how long I've been keeping SPS! Thanx Vic
Old 10/01/2003, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

I've been dealing with Champion for about 12 years now, and have never had a problem. I can call an order in on friday afternoon, and I have it by monday, or tuesday, could not ask for any better service.

Perry, you run a First Rate operation

Thanks
Paul

Visite por favor su refugio animal local.
Old 10/01/2003, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

Just another quick thought.

Champion has been around for a long time, Take a look in your old back issues of FAMA, Champion was there, and so were a lot of other places, but how many of those other places are still in business now ? , ( Not Many ) wonder why that is ?

You don't stay in business, if you don't give good service

If you have an itch for something new, and you gotta have it right now, Why don't you run down to your local dealer, and get it ?

Old 10/01/2003, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BUBBA9459
Just another quick thought.
Just curious but,are you a dealer for champion?
Old 10/01/2003, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

I don't consider myself a dealer for Champion.

I do however buy products from champion for service accounts, re-sale, and for my personal tanks.

I don't go shopping around for someone else, who may be a few dollars cheaper, faster, whatever.