Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/04/2003, 12:55 PM
Moved On

lol...

this is too funny!

I've learned from being a fishkid my whole life a couple important things. And one is....

- FISH PEOPLE ARE RARELY PEOPLE PEOPLE, so don't expect good people skills in this business. Also...seems like few store owners ever went to business school so don't expect customer service skills either...

But...there's hope...For what its worth i went to business school and do my best not to ignore those who put food on my table..
Old 08/04/2003, 03:28 PM
Loan Shark Willy

the bottom line is:

how hard is it to say "hi"? i don't think it is too much for trigger to ask for a simple " hello" from the owner/employee when she walks into the store.

fish people may not be people persons, but damn, i'm sure everyone of us reefer know how to say "hello", right?
Old 08/04/2003, 05:05 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I would just keep the whole thing in the back of my mind for now. I wouldn't boycott the store or call on anyone else to, not that that's taking place here.

I think it's hard to please everyone. Obviously, some here like to be acknowledged when they walk in. It doesn't matter to me unless if I say hello and get ignored. It's probably best to say hello just to cover all bases.

I prefer to walk in, see what they have, see the price listed on everthing in every tank (which is rare), make my decisions, go to the counter and get help without having to work to hard for it. That's it! If I have to ask and wait for 10 minutes while other people are checking out my choices and another LFS person comes out and helps them first, then I start getting annoyed!
Old 08/05/2003, 01:38 PM

every time I go on R.C, I realize more and more why many people I talk to won't even go on this site. 90% of you all need a life.
Old 08/05/2003, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by orange_seahorse
every time I go on R.C, I realize more and more why many people I talk to won't even go on this site. 90% of you all need a life.
OW! THAT HURTS!

Ok! I'll get a life, but it will have to include something in the 360 gallon range.
Old 08/05/2003, 02:59 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by orange_seahorse
as do you. :fun1:
Old 08/05/2003, 03:10 PM
Moved On

hmm...

orange seahorse....gimme a break. You sound just like a highschool kid...totally uncalled for. And you call yourself a teacher?

We all have lives, we just have the right and freedom to do with them as we choose. As do you. As a "teacher" i would expect a bit more maturity from someone setting an example for younger people.

oh yeah...and if you're spending any time at all on the internet researching your little reef hobby..sorry looks like you "need a life" too....lol Just my .02
Old 08/05/2003, 04:08 PM

Re: hmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by Piero
orange seahorse....gimme a break. You sound just like a highschool kid...totally uncalled for. And you call yourself a teacher?

We all have lives, we just have the right and freedom to do with them as we choose. As do you. As a "teacher" i would expect a bit more maturity from someone setting an example for younger people.

oh yeah...and if you're spending any time at all on the internet researching your little reef hobby..sorry looks like you "need a life" too....lol Just my .02
Good Post! ........ I still want a nice 360 someday though!
Old 09/06/2003, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

I just got back from his store and I have had nothing but good experiences with him. We even talked about his reputation on this board after he helped me pick out 3 fantastic acro's. He said he is not the most outward going person and he admits that sometimes he comes across wrong but he is really working on this. I think he is sincere and needs to be given a second chance. I also think opinions of his store should be based primarily on his product. You are going to buy corals etc. not him. He definately would not fit in my tank. I also think that if you allow 1 bad experience or some elses opinion discourage you from going to his store you are the only loser. He has very nice corals that not many, if any, other stores have. At the end of the day it is your hobby that will suffer not him. He's growing so he must be doing something right. Just my opinion but after several trips I really like the guy and his product.
Old 09/06/2003, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by don
You are going to buy corals etc. not him. He definately would not fit in my tank.
Good call because everyone here knows that you at least a 350 gallon tank to keep just ONE store owner and even that wouldn't provide much space for him at his adult size! Don't overlook the necessary diverse diet of meats, veggies and seafood either. You can't just feed cheeseburgers and beer all the time because they have low nutritional value!

Actually, I'm surprised this thread is back! I'd go back there if the prices are good and livestock is healthy. If I had repeated bad service, then I'd look elsewhere.
Old 09/07/2003, 01:30 AM
Über-Reefers

You know what, I worked in food service for two years when I was a younger teenager. I think in general, at least in regards to food service, most customers are extremely unpleasant individuals.

I worked at a local Steak n' Shake, and I never left a day at work without being appalled at how rude, mean and impatient customers are. Its as if the only thing they had been doing all day was fantasizing about their steakburger, and when they didn't receive their gluttonous standard of perfection they were crushed.

When one of my co-workers or I would make a mistake in an order, customers would raise bloody hell. Then after they were done telling us what a poor establishment we were running (and they never said it that nice), they'd demand free food for their inconvenience. Then of course they would slowly gorge themselves on the fruits of their complaints, clog the bathroom toilets, leave no tip, and snub us on the way out. People are slovenly greedy hogs when they eat out.

I once had a guy grab my free arm when I was balancing an extremely full tray in the other, and rushing to a nearby table. It was like whiplash because he was a strong guy and as my body stopped moving, the tray slid forward off my hand and landed all over the floor. This compounded the hurry of dinner rush, because now their was a huge mess to clean up. Shooting him an evil look I inquired what it was he needed. Ketchup, the jerk needed his ketchup.

I've had customers swear at me, be extremely condescending, and most of the time act as if their burger and fries are the MOST important thing I've ever done in my life. I finally quit that job, and I wish I had long before I did.

I don't know if any of this transfers to fish customer service, but I bet it does. I loath whiny impatient people, they're the same individuals who honk during traffic jams. I think everybody should work a low level customer service job at least once in their lives, it gives us the flip perspective about how obnoxious we all really are.

orange seahorse-If your comment is a good reflection of yourself, and you yourself are a reflection of these "people you know" we are better for having them avoid RC. I do need a life, but your inane comment needs a point.

-Meg
Old 09/07/2003, 06:19 AM
Registered Member.

I agree with original poster that he needed to be off the computer doing personal buisness....very well said meg even got better at the end......
Old 09/07/2003, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

I agree with original poster also. And Meg, yes customers are annoying a lot of the time, but it seems people who work in retail are getting more rude also. I hate going into a store where I am going to spend my money, which is the reason they opened the store in the first place, and get ignored. I work retail and I make sure to make the customer feel important and appreciated. That is the absolute best way to get them back. Doesn't matter if you have the best product, if you have lousy customer service especially in a nonessential business line like corals and fish as opposed to groceries, you are going to have a very small repeat customer base. I also don't think customers of LFS establishments are the same social status as those who go to fast food or inexpensive eating places. I have seen customers in LFS get very upset but it's because they've spent big bucks and either can't get what they ordered, have had something promised to them sold to someone else, or something die right after getting it home! I don't think these are the people who throw catsup, greedily hog freebies, trash restrooms, etc. Saltwater aquarium keeping is upscale due to the cost, so the customers are going to be like those going to Saks.
Old 09/08/2003, 12:03 AM
Tiny Miracles.

Quote:
I think everybody should work a low level customer service job at least once in their lives, it gives us the flip perspective about how obnoxious we all really are.
I think you need to go back to a low level customer service job and learn the value of a customer. Remember, your place of employment are the ones just handing you your checks, its your CUSTOMERS that actually pay you.

Before you go criticizing the original poster for his opinions on this store, why dont you visit the store in question? Very easy to judge someone before you walk a mile in their shoes eh? I have been to this store and have recieved the SAME Un-helpfulness.....And Im really not all that picky when it comes to customer service.

When I walk into any Retail Store, I want someone to ask me if they can help me find anything. I either answer yes or no. Then I want to be left alone. I dont see this as being to much of a hassle....especially when a store is not busy.....
Old 09/08/2003, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

Hi folks... since this thread has managed to find it's way back let's all remember to keep it on track or don't post.

Snailman
Old 09/08/2003, 11:16 AM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by Zepplin
I once had a guy grab my free arm when I was balancing an extremely full tray in the other, and rushing to a nearby table. It was like whiplash because he was a strong guy and as my body stopped moving, the tray slid forward off my hand and landed all over the floor. This compounded the hurry of dinner rush, because now their was a huge mess to clean up. Shooting him an evil look I inquired what it was he needed. Ketchup, the jerk needed his ketchup.
omg, i would have pimp slapped the sob across the face.

it looks like you guys had better move to a friendlier city with less slovenly folks.
Old 09/08/2003, 06:05 PM
Poker anyone?

I frequent the store in question and here is my opinion.

I love Scott's setup and incredible selection. Every time I walk in the store I wonder why he is not doing business online. So much money too be made.

The prices are fair and better than fair against other local LFS.

The service can go 2 ways. Either zero, and I mean zero service, or you get lucky and Scott or his new young helper will answer any questions you may have. No "hello", no "Hi", no "can I help you?" once you hit the counter with dry goods or a question.

This really bothered me the first few times I went in. I often felt as though I was not important as a customer to him or his wife. I wanted (at the time), a place I could go and shoot the **** about my reef, get advice, talk future upgrades, etc... I soon realized that his store is not setup for this, nor is any LFS IMO for that matter.

I now solely depend on RC and the Internet for my information. One of the many things I have learned here, is to not trust what your LFS says anyways. I don't care if I get help at a LFS when I walk in the door, and have actually grown to like not being hammered every time I walk in. When I am ready to purchase something, I simply flag down Scott or one of his helpers and they happily bag up my next prized piece.

Just though I would share, since I felt very much like Trigger did at first.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09/08/2003, 06:52 PM
Defender against ICH

I would have to say that it may not have been the BEST public relations move to not acknowledge a customer in your store. I have worked in the food industry as an Area Manager and noticed this all to frequently. My bet is that he did not even notice you, when Im on RC I barely notice ANYTHING else going on around me... I am engrossed trying to learn more about reefing. Im not dismissing your unpleasant experience there, but I do not think his motives are intentional sionce he is the owner and does not work for $6 an hour.

If you walked in and saw him picking his nose and flicking it would that have been an unpleasant experience one that would make you walk out and never return as well? JMO...If that happened to me where I was ignored I would still go there unless it was a habitual thing. IMO he did not even notice you were there, but I could be wrong.

"He who has large reef tank has small wallet"
Old 09/08/2003, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Steve, I think your post is right on target. I guess like you, I wanted a place to go hang out and talk reefs. I still think the customer should be at least be fooled into thinking he's important even if the LFS doesn't give a flip and doesn't need the store to make a living. That said, it is nice to be able to take your time looking around without someone following you asking what you want to buy. However on the other side, it's nice to have someone available to help you when you find something you want to buy or just to let you feel like you are welcome there. Anyway, I will go back to the store, they do have some good stuff.