Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/27/2003, 10:58 AM
Moved On

gulfview

I got 30 pounds of gulfview yesterday. I got my order 20 hours after I palced the order, that was the end of my good experiance.

The rock must have been in a holding tank a few days, becasue it was rank! There were dead crabs and a couple dead shrimp everywhere. I order 15 pounds of coral on rock and 15 pounds of "premium deco". The owner told me he would throw in a couple of "critter rocks", I got one. i was also promised a pound or 2 of live sand to kick start my DSB, needless to say I did not recieve. But back to the main issue. Everything on this rock was dying, I contiplated curing the rock in a seperate container but decided to just put it in the tank. My levels were at 0 and my tank has been up 45 days with 50 pounds of fuji. Everything is now off the chart, my water smell and my house also. All the corals were bleached or dying. I might get a couple cup corals to survive but I doubt it. I did get a few oyster/clam things. But other than a few bristle worms it looks like everything but the macro algae will dye. If you look at their pics of their deco you see bright green plants, all I got was a few red but mostly brown alge and some kelp. I sure wish I would have ordered the corraline deal for 138 shipped becasue that is really all I got. Wish I would have bought some kaleni.

There are some nice corraline pieces but not deco and for sure not "premium" deco. The rock is pretty solid. If it was never placed in the ocean if would look like busted up pavement or concrete. I would only advise the coraline rock and save your $$$ for real "life". I am very disappointed and sent a email stating the issue to dale. I have not heard back yet, maybe It was a problem with shipping or I got sent the wrong rock...I hope

In the mean time my euroreef is working overtime to keep up with all the toxins. If my xenia and my ricordia die (becasue of this live rock) I am really going to be POed. I wish I would have sent it back or cured it seperately.

They only moving life (non plant) I got was a mantis and worms. All crabs and snails were goners. I also have noticed no feather dusters.
Old 06/27/2003, 12:09 PM
Moved On

just talked to dale , he is going to reship another load.... no charge!
It appears the rock overheated on a truck in this texas heat. The icepack was even warm. Super nice guy and I hope my next experiance is as good as his service.

MM
Old 06/27/2003, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Glad things worked out for you. It would always be a good idea to try to work a problem out with a Vendor before hastly posting it on a BB.

Snailman
Old 06/27/2003, 03:03 PM
Moved On

I understand your point and in hind site..... I should not have posted so quickly

But, It was a real problem and people have to take the good with the bad. Nobody only wants to read just "good reviews". Problems do occur but Dale will work the problem out. It actually reflects good on him. The problem occured in shipping (somehow the icepack melted and so did most of the life) and I was upset that I got smelly rock. He remedied the situation, he did not have to do anything... some vendors don't care. Dale did and hopefully the next box will be cool (not smelly).

I like the product and would recommend because I know if you don't like it he will make it right.