Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/26/2003, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Now that I think of it I actually had a similar problem with Big Als Online. When I was setting up one of my tanks I needed to order a filter, and a few other things. Big Als by far had the best price on the Emperor 400 filter, so I went ahead and order that a bag of crushed coral. This was for an African cichlid setup. Anyways, I got a tracking number right away from them. So I was pretty excited to get my first "big tank" set up. Well the next week my filter arrived, and the crushed coral was no where to be found. I was really pretty confused about it, the webstie did say it was in stock, so I figured everything would arrive at the same time. Well I called them to see what was up, apparently it was actually out of stock, and they hadnt gottena new shipment in yet. It was about another week before they got it back in stock, but when it came in they sent it next morning airborne, which couldnt have been cheap for soemthing that was 40 pounds, and they did it for free.

Needless to say I was a little upset because no one even contacted me about the product being out. Since then Ive ordered more things from them and service has been great everytime. I dont really think its fair to judge the whole company based on one experience, but if service is continually poor, then its time to move on. Maybe shes had a family emergency or something like that? When its just one person running a business anything can happen. I say give her another chance.
Old 06/26/2003, 03:18 PM
Moved

Did it ever occur to anyone she might be out of town? Busy running to the airport , working in the greenhouse , or who knows what ever other thousands of things that need to get done? So she didnt return the call/email immediatly and was grouchy. We all have bad days/moods, and/or make mistakes, as we are all human. I've also seen Joy's facility and after visiting a few larger type operations, hers is my favorite. I can't wait untill the next time I get to go back , and usually plan for atleast 2 x a year, if for nothing just to visit and see her awesome clams. I encourage you to be patient and understand Harbor is alot for anyone to run by themselves, and joy is doing the best she can. She also maintains a busy show schedule , and could very well be at one now, and didn't tell you that. I really am only speculating. Having said all this , I challenge you to find cured rock as nice as hers for less $. I have only found it once and I hear now it's gone. Hers is always there, not to mention some of the best corals and clams and prices I've seen. I hope this situation resolves to both your favor.
Old 06/26/2003, 06:04 PM
Brotherhood Of The Reef

Quote:
We all have bad days/moods
BS. None of you will understand my expireince with Joy. Let me say this, and it's the last post for me on this thread. When I'm working I have to maintain a profesional attitude, if I didn't I wouldn't have a job. If some guy on the street treated me the way Joy did, it would have come to blows. Nice clams yes. Worth the stress of being treated like crap by a complete stranger in front of my wife and having no recourse, I think not. After having dirven an hour and a half I wasn't going to turn around and leave, so don't say I coulda left. Anyway like I said, I have spoken my peace and that's that for me. Anyone who knows me on this board knows I am generaly a peacefull and generous person so it took alot for me to get to this point.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 06/26/2003, 08:02 PM
Hog Obsessed

165lbs of Harbor cured rock. Didnt even see a cycle.
Boy you fools dont know what your missing.
FWIW.. i ordered over the phone and was patient for a quality product.

http://bschulz.greatassemblyrc.com/180/rock/

http://bschulz.greatassemblyrc.com/1...s/DSCN8335.jpg
Old 06/26/2003, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Boy you fools dont know what your missing.

Nice tank!

I hope you did not pay much for that. Looks just like regular cheap Fiji that I got from FFE several years ago.

Tank

I'm with you on this, you should not have had to put up with what you did, unless pick-ups are a problem for H.A. I could see a problem if you just showed up and did not let them know you were coming, again this only applies if pick-ups are a problem with them.
Old 06/27/2003, 07:11 AM
Hog Obsessed

Series2.
Duh this is fiji "CURED" rock.. its what i wanted. Go find another thread to troll. You have no experience with Harbor Aquatics

By the way was the regular cheap fiji you got from ffe fully cured and only out of water for 9 hours. Wrapped in wet towels, in bags, in insulated boxes, and with a heat pack?

Did ffe go out of their way to hand pick every rock for you to your specifications then send you a pic of what your getting before you ordered it?

Ive gone the raw rock route before in my other tank, never again. I much prefer cured rock.
Old 06/27/2003, 07:22 AM
yes it's my aquarium

Joy at Harbor Aquatics is honestly one of the nicest people in the reefkeeping hobby I've ever dealt with.
Her clams and liverock are some of the best available.
I make it a habit to stop and see her whenever I'm in the area.
Old 06/27/2003, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

It says very clearly on her site that walk ins are welcome, with an appoitment only on certain days, but even on those days walk ins may not be possible due to shipping and recieving things at the airport. I also notice Tank didnt mention if he had an appoitment, or if he even went on one of the days that were set up for walk ins. If he didnt, maybe thats what upset her. Just an idea though.

Last edited by lil_mikey69; 06/27/2003 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06/27/2003, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

Ok folks, let's not get this off track arguing

Snailman
Old 09/06/2003, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to dredge up an ancient thread but I'm thinking of using this buisiness & giving them a lot of money, money that is very hard won & took a looong time to save up. And I will not even consider giving a dime to someone who would b***h about CUSTOMERS "taking up their driveway". That's a person who isn't running a buisiness at all...that's a person who has a HOBBY & wants people to "bother" them at their convenience even on days they say they're open.

This isn't a case of "I went to the store manager's house on a Sunday at 7AM". It's a case of "I went to the store during buisiness hours, & was verbally assaulted for blocking the door for the manager's personal use." Is this little parable correct??
Old 09/06/2003, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Wow, you really brought this thread back from the dead. I think you'll find you wont be wasting your money. Outside of this thread, Ive really never heard anything negative about Harbor Aquatics. Ive actually heard they are one of the better vendors.

Its unfortunate to hear what happened to the original poster, but we really dont know the full circustances. They dont have regular business hours, per say. Its by appoitment only really. So if he came on a day not set aside for that, or didnt have an apoitment I could see how she may be frustrated if she couldnt get to her house because he blocked the driveway. At least I believe the greenhouse thing is behind the house, maybe it was just the drive way to the green house. Either way, I dont think you'll be dissapointed. I plan to spend about $400 there when I get some more cash.
Old 09/06/2003, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

Dude relax and look at the positive posts about this company. Do not get tunnell vision on persons experiance. Every business has a bad day(try working in the automotive business). Instead of "dredging up an old post to see if theres still fire in it go some where else and buy your stuff.
Old 09/06/2003, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

True, I've gone through a TON of posts, here & on other sites, & only seen a couple negative things about HA. This one was just SO scathingly bad that it made me cringe. I'm gonna assume it was an anomaly & go ahead with gettin' some rock.
Old 09/06/2003, 09:01 PM
Guardian of Little People

Harbor Aquatics is a great place for live rock and clams. Those are the only things that matter to me. We all have our different tolerance levels and service expectations, so those details are irrelevant to me.

Brian

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 09/06/2003, 10:02 PM
Moved On

Just got back from MACNA, where I bought a clam from Joy--over my 2 days around her display, she's definitely wears her feelings on her sleeve! JMO,Bob