Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/25/2003, 07:27 AM
Premium Member

traveler

[welcome]
Old 06/25/2003, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Anyone found a good lfs in ft worth?
Old 06/26/2003, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Hello,

This link has what you need.

http://www.dfwmas.com/cgi-bin/ikonbo...ct=ST;f=2;t=32
Old 06/26/2003, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

scott,

nice to see you on the BBS, i remeber when you first opened at your older location. scotts advice a couple years ago helped me get into this hobby!
Old 06/27/2003, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

Scott, you could always move up to Canada.... I would Love to visit your store. Good luck in the future. I have three small LFS mom and pop type and one Chain(Petcetera) with a Petland on its way. I will look in the Petcetera BUT will never buy from them as the staff are terrible. I live in a city with about 120,000 people and the weather goes for -45C to +40C. If you are lucky the LFS have fish for sale SIX MONTHS out of the Year due to weather and very little for Coral. Most of the time the small Mom and Pop store has the best selection. The owner can be hard to take sometimes but Petcetera opened next door, they have treated me well and I will give them the extra if needed for the knowledge and service. For me that is what is important.

Scott, can you set up a night to shop for the Great people on this Forum? Maybe a private store opening. Sounds like your best customers are here and some that could pay you a visit once again. Best of Luck. Marcus
Old 06/27/2003, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

OK, so are there any LFS we HAVEN'T publicly bashed yet (myself included)?

The above post really accentuates what I've been thinking... we really should feel lucky to be in a market with this many LFS of this caliber, carrying this much livestock to choose from- whichever store you prefer, keep in mind we have it better than any other town I know of.

Nitpicks aside, it's better than most people have. Choose your favorite and enjoy your hobby.

Travis
Old 06/27/2003, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
TS OK, so are there any LFS we HAVEN'T publicly bashed yet (myself included)?
How about Saltwater Solutions? They have prices on
the fish, but none on coral.
Old 06/27/2003, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Yeah...

I wasnt impressed with Saltwater Solutions, and whats the deal with the wacky store hours, 4 hours here 4 there.

'sides, I think the city marshall or someone closed them down, some rumors ive heard.
Old 07/02/2003, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Anybody else been to Fish Gallery yet? I am gonna check it out for myself this weekend. My bro is the GM of Aquarium Environments there in back of the store. I am anxious to check it out for myself and get the skinny.
Old 07/11/2003, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Bashing

Yeah its easy too bash people , but i mean there are two sides too this. Its not easy taking care of 200 tanks , and keeping 20 diffrent customers happy every day , some of these people i think have poured there hearts and money out trying too come up with the perfect "lfs". Yeah I agree there are some ppl out there trying too make a little too much $$$ , but there are lfs struggling too survive especialy with on-line stores, if your going too bash anyone , i think it would only be fair too bash the online guys. And this is were i stand till they open there doors too public with the wholesale prices , well we all have our own opinions and this is just mine.

good day too you all!!!

Hand feeding corals at 5 in the morning: Priceless
Old 07/11/2003, 02:17 PM
Moved On

I have been to fish Gallery/Aquarium Enviroments. Awesom store. The best Fresh set up I have seen in a LFS. We had out DFWMAS monthly meeting there 2 days ago. They were just setting up the SPS tanks. They will be a major competitor soon.
They sell clams for $59. Aquatic Design has the same for 125 (owner told me you would let me have a deal at 110) . They also let us members have 30% off during the meeting. I bought a bubble coral for 30(before discount) a, manderin for 19, and a large feather duster for 10. They also sell DT's. They definaly made a customer out of me. They do need to expand their salt collection as it is 1/10 the size of the fresh, but I was told they are just getting that part up.

This may be the first good review I have written on a LFS.
Old 07/11/2003, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Yup

That new store is alright in my book.

Hand feeding corals at 5 in the morning: Priceless
Old 07/18/2003, 04:20 AM
Registered Member

Re: Dallas North

Quote:
Originally posted by nvillacci
VERY expensive. LOL I guess since they cater to the rich and famous they think everyone can afford those prices. You know its bad when even their employees dont buy stuff from the store(even with discount).

I like Scott's, Saltwater Paradise setup. I wont lie, I think hes moved to a great store and hes got a kick *** selection. But like all stores there are problems.

1) He doesnt price his stuff. To me this is very sketchy. If I dont know how much an item is, I basically wont ask about it. He caters to Las Colinas alot. Ive talked with Scott alot about prices, and he has told me his reasons. I asked the price of a Black Pygmy Angel, she said it was pretty cheap..... $50.00 is not cheap to me for a BLACK pygmy angel . Doesnt mean I agree with him. Scott if you read this, PLEASE, put prices on your fish at least. Youll make more money that way.

2) I get very concerned when they order a Nautilus. You know the wierd spiral chelled mollusk. I was in there the other day and there one was, about 11 inches.... Thats scary to me, there are some things that are left better off in the ocean. And a nautilus definetly is.

I know LFS are there to make money. But I think many would be much better off if they tried to get on level witht he hobbiest too.
Oh how I miss The World Down Under.....(old LFS thats closed now).
you must be high, i bought everything in my tank from DallasNA and i work there.

i bought a cleaner shrimp for 4.50, a flame hawk for 17.00, live rock for 2.25/lb, 3" purple tang 25.00 trust me the employees get HOOKED-UP.

if you hate DNA so much DON'T go there and quit B!tching about it like little girls. I don't understand why people don't realize that a fish store is a business like any other. How much do you think that large pizza you got from domino's costs the company....hold on to your seat cuz this will make you crap your pants.......3 topping large regular crust costs you 12.99plus tax and tip.....3 topping large regular crust costs dominos.........$.75!!!!!!!!!!
My friend's father used to work at Frito-lay a family sized bag of Cheetos that costs you 4.99 has $.03 of ingredients in it. thats not a typo $.03!!!!!!!

so deal with it
Old 07/18/2003, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

very constructive there

not too mention my post was so old that I dont even remember (or care) what your going on about.

Hope you feel better and have a good day.
Old 07/18/2003, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
you must be high, I bought everything in my tank from DallasNA and I work there.
Do you think your employer would appreciate you coming on here and asking people if they are "high"?? That is very unprofessional. Do you work there on the student work program from high school? It is no secret that DNA is very expensive. I remember a few months back shopping their and heard an employee telling a woman she didn't have the proper lighting to house a clam and then bagged it up for her ?!? Didn't even try and offer any more education on the consequences of her insufficient lighting..

Also, what's the point of mentioning the employee discounts? Those obviously don't apply to anyone here but you, so that definately is not a benifit to anyone but you.
Old 07/18/2003, 11:27 AM
Moved On

I will call DNA and let them know one of their employees are bragging about his discount and telling people they are high. I bet you distribitor would be real interested that you are posting "cost" prices. Then DNA would be blackballed and prices would sure enough be high.

Second thing my aunt is a manager at Domino's, the cheese for the pizza is more than the .75 you quoted. She always told me they actually weigh the cheese before placing on the pizza as not to put to much as it cost more than the rest of the ingrediants combined.

Ohh Nismo I would consider make sure no one ever identifys you as you will for sure lose your job after that post.
Old 07/18/2003, 11:38 AM
Moved On

I doubt this guy works there, as he list bbook learnin as his occupation. Also his bday is March 21, 1983. He can even buy a drink yet... Also I have left a message for the manager at DNA to call me back. it should be easy finding out who this guy is as he left his birthday and he obviously is not working today.

Good Luck finding another job in this economy.
Old 07/18/2003, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

mmiller40,

you are ruthless hehe.

but some people got to learn the hard way.
Old 07/18/2003, 12:22 PM
Moved On

I don't mean to be, I am just a consumer advocate. There is enough money in the world without people trying to get over on someone. I learned a long time ago that the customer is ALWAYS right because a bad rep can really hurt a buisness. Think DNA is making tons of cash now...what is they offered good service and good advise. We would all shop there! But there service is subpar, employess are even worse (as shown by the brilliant employee above), and they really don't offer a quality product.

If this guy was really interesterd in the well being of his employeer he would represent them with respect to other. I know that store gets bashed in here but that was not the right way to get a point across. Other owners have been on (this thread I think) and have taken in with a grain of salt and tried to be coridial. I hope this guy is jsut a troll for DNA's sake. If I represented my company that way I would be fired ASAP and I would understand why. You can't even act that way at Taco Bell better yet a buisness that relies som much on word of mouth.
Old 07/18/2003, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

I love this post. I've never seen such good flame material on one post about DFW. But, then I'm not a flamer.

1. Scott is a great guy if you spend 15 minutes with him and discuss your needs and expectations. I personally find him a very nice guy to talk too. His father passed away not to long ago, he's moved to a new location and invested a ton of cash in a business that many people in DFW have failed at. I'd say that he has a reason to be a little stressed about a few things right now.

2. If you don't like Scott talk to Julie. She has learned a lot in the last year or so and is a wonderful person to deal with.

3. DNA is only good for emergency trips of things that other people are out of stock on I my opinion. I say this because they are much higher on dry goods, coral and fish than anyone in town. I know, I've check. I was forced to buy a return pump there a week ago for $230 that I could have gotten anywhere online for $110 + shipping, but when your return pump is out it not like you can wait 3 days to get a new one. Wayne, the dry goods manager, is the best thing about that place. But he'll stick it to you if your not careful or if he thinks that you have no clue what things should cost. He charged me over MSRP on a couple of thing that I didn't have time to shop around for. But that's what I get for needing it NOW.

4. No one here has mentioned Aquatic Designs in Plano. Larry is a great person to deal with also and his prices are fair on most items. Personally I think that his staff is more knowledgable too. They are at Alma and Parker, buy the 24 hour Fitness. Their fish selection is good and they carry FW too. They coral selection is a little weak but the occasional BTA or "Ultra Max" will show up at a price that is resonable.

5. Saltwater Solutions is a not to bad for fish or softies. But I think there water quality sucks. Almost every time I've been there their tanks have looked "tried" and dirty. It feels more like a warehouse than fish store though.

I think my rant has gone on long enough. If you want to see some great coral go to SWP. If you don't it's your loss.
Old 07/18/2003, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Aquatic Design

Going to be as nice as I can. I will just simply put to you like this. I would rather pay the high prices of anything at DNA then stick anything that has come out of Aquatic Designs tanks. His Acrylic setup for holding his corals and fish is sick. Not only is it covered in bubble algae along with green and brown hair algae. But his water is always murky kinda stained looking. Have yet to walk in that store in the past 3 years and not seen a floating dead SW fish. Saltwater Paradise and Dallas North are the leading LFS rather anyone likes it or not. Say what you want about Dallas North they are not going anywhere. I laugh everyone always posts the outragous priced things but dont list how there Rose anemones are $99 for Medium to faily large. LOL I dont care say what you want they are both here to stay.

Saltwater Paradise- You will not find a nicer couple then Julie and Scott. They helped me out in a bind that noone else would have. They are great people and I hope more people shop with them. If you dont like a price he gives you ask him to lower it see if he will come down. Whats it gonna hurt. His tanks are always clean. His store is top of the line. He is the biggest SPS LFS dealer in Dallas. Scott is pretty straight forward straight to the point. I like that guess thats why I have never had a problem with him.

115 DAS Reef, 215 Oceanic Reef/in construction.
Old 07/18/2003, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

I went out to Scott's new place last week and is really nice, He has so many tanks with corals and fish, and even som ereally nice drygoods like MH lighting, don't normally see that in a LFS.
I highly recommend everyone go out and check them out!
Old 07/18/2003, 07:36 PM
Moved On

catfish,

I am no AD fan. I do shop there becasue it is really close to my house. The tanks need help and you would think they would be cleaner as I have seen 5-8 staff in at one time. I think they know who I am am try to stick it to me as I have not been kind in my "review" of them. I have actually never bought a fish or coral, (except my 1st, a xenia). I have bought a few drygoods and a lot of snails. I to have seen the dead fish. I know it is the case in most LFS but go check out their store on tuesday about 3-5 PM. There are lots of fish going belly up when they stock their tanks.

I don't think DNA is any better though. It is like chosing between two evils

I thougt Aquarium Enviroments was cool and am going to SWP tommorrow.
Old 07/18/2003, 07:52 PM
Really Good Fisherman

Just wanted to chime in here - I stopped at SWP a few months back when I was near Dallas on business. This was at the old location as the owner mentioned he'd be moving soon. Hands down the best selection of corals I have seen anywhere - asking for prices was kind of odd but I literally must have spent an hour just gawking at all the amazing corals (he had these awsome shallow cube tanks with center overflows packed to top with corals). The corals looked healthy for the most part and he had a lot of stuff I have never seen anywhere else - prices seemed high to me being from Austin but the quality was excellent. Scott was pleasant to me the few times I asked questions and I will definitely be stopping in again next time I pass through dallas.
Old 07/18/2003, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Time to chime in........

I just thought it was about time for me to get a few words in here.

First and foremost I live about 2 1/2hrs. east of Dallas. So the selection of ANY corals out here leaves ALOT to be desired. Needless to say you are pretty much shopping blind when do the mailorder thing for any type of livestock. I have only been pleasently surprised by the items I have received via mailorder a couple of times out of the dozen or so times I have.

I had been following this thread for awhile and was able to stop in at Saltwater Paradise last week while I was in town on business. I had been to Scott and Julie's other location many months ago and was impressed then. But I have to say hands down they have the BEST selection of corals I have ever seen. I was the proverbial kid in the candy store. As far as posting prices, I figured out, after asking for the price on different items, that it is pretty much about the size of the coral. The smaller ones(if you want to call them small) are 39.99(?) and then 49.99(?) and I would guess so on and so on. I got what I consider a HUGE (atleast what I consider huge, compared to what I can get locally) Devil's Hand Leather for 49.99. Like some one said in a previous post, its all about the quality, I am willing to pay a higher price for a better quality. Don't ask me to pay an ungodly amount for a measly piece of ****e. I will definitely give Scott and Julie more of my business. As for Scott's hospitality........ehhh.....I actually could not care less about his attitude towards me unless he is just "flat-out-rude". Some people just don't have great people skills.

I also took a ride over to Fish Gallery. Nice setup. Still didn't have their main display tank online. But a nice, clean place none the less. I did see a yellow tonga that looked good, but the price was just a little too steep for me that day. I did get a beautiful Blue Tuxedo Urchin, quality specimen. He even brought home a few goodies for me, about 5 zoo polyps. They still haven't opened yet, so I can't say what colors they are, or for that matter if they will make it at all. But again, I can't complain........they were bonus items.

I hope what other people get from this thread is what I did. Basic info..........now go out and make your own descision. I did. Thats the beauty of living where we do, some things people just take for granted, and then do nothing but beotch about it all day and night.

Soap box has been retired for the night.

Thank you,