Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 01:03 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Yep, chuck... I drilled mine.

I'll try to get you some pics soon.

Brandon
Old 01/11/2008, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

Glasscages.com will probably be at the swap or are not too far from you. They have a 40 long 36 x 18 x 13 tank for $70. A very reasonable price. The $1 per gallon tank sales at big box pet stores usually only include the normal 10 and 12 inch depth tanks. Plus, they would add your overflow and holes for bulkheads, safely for an additional cost.

I agree the deeper front to back tanks are easier to landscape. A built-in overflow has worked better for me than a hang-on overflow. 36 inch tanks have higher powered lights. 30 inch lights are usually the same wattage as those made for 24 inch tanks with a longer box to house them in. Buy a light fixture or do-it-yourself, you will have several choices for sufficient lighting for softies or LPS.

Live rock is good to a point. Remember you want your corals to grow and be happy. Too much live rock leaves less room for growth, plus many corals you might purchase come on a piece of live rock already.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

gsusfreak, after seeing the setup chadfarmer has for sale that's the way I'm leaning, as long as there's a way to mount them in a hood then I will likely get them from him. I've also been looking at the nova T5 extremes since they are fairly budget minded.

Brandon, thanks, I look forward to seeing pics of it. After gsusfreak mentioned that drilling would be safer to help avoid a flood I think I'm sold. I just hope it's not too hard to do as I can't afford to break it!

dborowsk, thanks for the advice. I bought a 40 breeder yesterday! It's 36 x 18 x 16, so there's plenty of room for landscaping. I don't have nearly enough lr right now, but I'm curious to see all of mine setup in it. Some time after the swap I'll get it going. From what I had read about the 30" lights they are just 24" bulbs that are offset to span the whole 30". You have a very good point about some frags coming on lr, I'll have to keep that in mind for the future, thanks.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:10 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Here ya go, man...

Post-installation:

Pre-installation:

Its not hard at all to drill the tanks. Just tanks patience (IE, just don't rush through it ).

Here's a popular guide: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=603816

Brandon

Brandon
Old 01/11/2008, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

hello again chuck....lol....yes, those lights can be mounted in a hood....all you have to do is unscrew the endcaps and mount them in a hood however you like....he probably decided to mount them to some pieces of wood and have them hung from the ceiling

oh yea, about drilling....make sure to practice before going ahead with the 40.....go buy a $10 10-gallon tank, and practice on that(of whatever tank you decide for the sump).....a 10gal has really thin glass so if you do that successfully, you should be able to do a 40 just fine........just remember to let the drill/dremel do the work, so dont add extra pressure
Old 01/11/2008, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Brandon, thanks for the pics, I think I'll be able to put it to use on my new tank, thank you! Will you have it off in time for the swap?
Old 01/11/2008, 09:29 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Unfortunately I don't think that I will. I'm not going to have time this week (with school starting back) to do it. I'm hoping to do it the weekend after the swap.

Brandon
Old 01/11/2008, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NeveSSL
Unfortunately I don't think that I will. I'm not going to have time this week (with school starting back) to do it. I'm hoping to do it the weekend after the swap.

Brandon
No biggie, I still have to build the stand so it's not like I'll be waiting on the overflow. I'm starting back to school on Tuesday so I will be feeling your pain. I am sure it's going to slow my progress with the stand.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

skirossi, I got a stand for a 40 breeder if you dont wanna build one. Here's the thread I just updated....

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1237880

Brandon, is that the frogspawn you got from me in that pic? The one the clowns are around? If so, it never looked that full in my tank. Nice.

Steve
Old 01/11/2008, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SRT80
skirossi, I got a stand for a 40 breeder if you dont wanna build one. Here's the thread I just updated....

Brandon, is that the frogspawn you got from me in that pic? The one the clowns are around? If so, it never looked that full in my tank. Nice.

Steve
Steve, thanks for thinking of me, but I just bought the lumber for the stand I'm building today. I'm hoping it will give me a little more room under it for a sump, I guess time will tell.

Thanks anyway,
Chuck
Old 01/11/2008, 11:22 PM
Beer King

Quote:
Originally posted by skirossi
Steve, thanks for thinking of me, but I just bought the lumber for the stand I'm building today. I'm hoping it will give me a little more room under it for a sump, I guess time will tell.

Thanks anyway,
Chuck
I wanna see the stand when you get it built.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:27 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by SRT80

Steve
Yeah, it is, man!

Angela mentioned it may be inflating because of a lack of sufficient lighting, but it seems to have grown quite a bit, too.

Brandon