Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

MicroBubbles Thread??

Is there a Microbubbles thread out there? I'm looking for as many ideas as possible on how to get rid of them in a display tank coming up from a sump...
Old 12/06/2007, 06:27 PM
TRC Leader

I don't know if we have a thread specifically dedicated to that topic, but I do know it comes up often.

I'm assuming your sump is pretty small since the display tank is 46g.

What size return pump are you using?
Is the sump divided into sections?
Do you see microbubbles in the return section where the return pump is located?
Do you use locline as returns going into the display tank, and if you do, are they completely submerged?
Do you have anti-siphon holes drilled, and if so are they submerged or above water?
If you have any screwed connections, did you use teflon tape of teflon paste?
Old 12/06/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

oops, gotta update my profile...I actually just setup a new AGA 75g megaflow with 20g long sump. Turboflotor skimmer in sump. Drain pipe is as far away from return pump as possible. I do not have baffles, I do have a large piece of filter media in seperating the return from the other water in sump. The loclines are submerged. I do not believe I have anti-siphon holes..i'm assuming those are the holes that would be located on the discharge end of the locline? I did not use teflon tape on inside of threads but rather silicone on the outside. I do see some mircobubbles near the return pump from time to time..could i possible just need more fliter media, I would imagine that would be wishful thinking though Aside from the micros, everything seems fine, still cycling at this point so I am still up for any modifications I might need to make before I put anything of importance in the tank.
I appreciate any input!
Old 12/06/2007, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

The first question on melev's list is the big one. What return pump are you using?
Old 12/06/2007, 07:51 PM
TRC Leader

New plumbing will result in microbubbles for about 14 days, but once slimed over it'll resolve itself.

Your sump is rather small, and not having a few baffles is part of the problem. Since I recommend 3x to 5x the volume of the display, does that mean your return pump is 225 to 375gph?
Old 12/06/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

one way I found of getting rid of micro bubbles was to use a filter sock on the drain line coming into the sump.
Old 12/06/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Melev - Yea, the sytem has only been running a little over a week.

Where can I get a fliter sock?
Old 12/06/2007, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Marine Depot has them. You want the 7x16" 100 micron filter sock. There are some non aquaria sights that have them for a bit less money, but I have no experience with them. If you are running more than 3-5 times tank turnover through your sump, this may not be the answer to your problem. I have a 75G and use a pump that returnd 300gph to the thank after "head loss". I had a big problem with microbubbles before I down sized to this pump.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone have pics of microbubbles or know where I can find some?

Craig your avatar looks suspiciously like my vacation cottage in Bora Bora hmmmm...
Being a Mommy - PRICELESS
-Adi

104g 36x24x28
1x400wmh
Old 12/07/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Craig, my return is a Magdrive, I forget whether it is the 250gph or the 350gph...Let me go check
Old 12/07/2007, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

I slam a lot of flow through my sump and I'm having microbubble issues as well. One thing I did was put a open cell foam filter over my return pump inlet and it does help some, it do have to remove it every few days to clean it.

Once I get around to drilling my sump I'm planning to use a movable baffle system like this:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...es/baffles.htm
Old 12/07/2007, 12:44 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by willtel76
I slam a lot of flow through my sump and I'm having microbubble issues as well. One thing I did was put a open cell foam filter over my return pump inlet and it does help some, it do have to remove it every few days to clean it.

Once I get around to drilling my sump I'm planning to use a movable baffle system like this:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...es/baffles.htm
Why don't you use a smaller return pump? You'll use less electricity, add less heat to the water, and resolve the microbubble problem. And you'll reduce your work load by not having to clean out a sponge all the time.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

I have similar problem. I am running a mag 18 in about a 30 gallon home made sump into 150 gallon tank. After a week I noticed a lot of micro bubbles spewing from my return. I checked the pump and it was 1/2 way submerged in water and making slurping sounds. Am I over driving my system? I have a mag 7 and 5 I can use as well. I will be keeping sps so I thought I need high flow. Oh I also have 4 Koralia 4 running in the tank.

I apologized if I hijacked this thread,
Old 12/07/2007, 01:18 PM
TRC Leader

You do need high flow in the display tank, but not in your sump.

I recommend 3x to 5x the volume of the display. 150 x 3 = 450 or 150 x 5 = 750

So a pump that pushes 750gph is plenty for your 30g sump, and at that rate you'll probably resolve the microbubble problem. Using your Mag 7, be sure you connect it to 1" plumbing, not 1/2" plumbing.

The Mag 18 is sucking the return section dry faster than it can refill.

To increase flow, a closed loop might be your best option because you probably don't want more powerheads in the display tank.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Problem is most likely your skimmer. Even with the bioball filled box these skimmers put out a ton of bubbles. I have one and even with baffles in my sump and plenty of room and they were still making there way to the DT. The only way I found to rid them was a filter sock on the skimmer outlets. HTH
Old 12/07/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Why don't you use a smaller return pump? You'll use less electricity, add less heat to the water, and resolve the microbubble problem. And you'll reduce your work load by not having to clean out a sponge all the time.
I suppose I could but currently my return pump is doing a lot of work. It provides all the flow for my tank, feeds a UV sterilizer and feeds my refuguim. The downside is that my sump has a lot of turnover. As far as power goes I once had a Mag 5 as a return and a Mag 3 feeding my UV, my snapper replaced both of those and pulls less wattage than the Mags combined. It also adds less heat to the tank than the submersible Mag pumps did and I still have about half of the pumps capacity that I can use if I need it.

My Reeflo Snapper is on the left, the 4 way PVC fitting has two returns into the display and one each for UV and the 'fuge. Click for a larger pic.

Nano Equipment
Old 12/07/2007, 03:25 PM
TRC Leader

It looks like you don't have room, but the next option would be a longer sump for more linear travel time.
Old 12/07/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
It looks like you don't have room, but the next option would be a longer sump for more linear travel time.
Hmm, I suppose if I mounted the pump on the floor I could do that. I think I'm going to try removable baffles first and I think I may be able to mod my skimmer output to reduce the bubbles more, my overflow is completely submerged and bubble free so I know they are coming from the skimmer.