Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 02:56 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

The garbage can in which I put the cyano-covered substrate I siphoned out of the tank, after sitting in the hot sun for almost a week. I thought the neighbors would show up with torches and pitchforks on that one.
Old 10/26/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LobsterOfJustice
Someone else has to give it a try to see if it's only my float.
Sorry lobster I really want to do it for you but I just can't. I bet somewill post in the next 10 minuts saying their mag float stinks too. Until then I will just have to take your word for it.
Old 10/26/2007, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Try opening up a cannister filter after a few months....when you forgot to empty out the water before storing it. I almost fainted. Well not really but it was disgusting.
Old 10/26/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ahullsb
Try opening up a cannister filter after a few months....when you forgot to empty out the water before storing it. I almost fainted. Well not really but it was disgusting.
You beat me to my post. I also left my old canister full of tank water and old sponges, etc. when I switched to a sump. 3 or 4 weeks later when I cracked that thing open..........I was hanging dead snails in the garage to fight the smell. That was a rough one.
Old 10/26/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
3. If you sniff the mag float up close it smells stright up like poop. I dont know why.
I have done this before and trust me I wont do it again. I was blaming one of the dogs and frantically searching for the pile!
Come to find out it was the magfloat.
Old 10/26/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frick-n-Frags

the dead sea anemone could knock a buzzard off a doodoo wagon at 50 paces.
ROTF!!!!

How about a 14" T. Gigas that didn't make it in shipping.
Old 10/26/2007, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

dcombs44, I'm glad someone else has experienced that. WOW. I think we win
Old 10/26/2007, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

My son left a whole package of frozen mysis on the bar counter where it could not be seen. After a day or so out of the freezer this was pretty bad.
Old 10/26/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

My vote is for two day old leftover nori on a clip. Although dead rotting carpet anemone comes in a close second.

Now why do I keep checking on the smell of the nori when I know it's bad? Maybe I like to keep impressing myself at how bad it is. Sort of like your own flatulence...
"Carpe Oceanus" (sieze the seas)
Old 10/26/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

I de froze a cube of Misys but wrongly put 1 min. instead of 10 sec. My God I was going to past out!!
Putisima madre!!!!!!

Reefteria!!!!
Old 10/26/2007, 10:07 PM
Reefneck.

Xenia, dead snails, and frilly mushrooms top my list. Every time my husband would redo his aquascaping, I would gag when he pulled out his rock of 30+ frillies.

~Becca
Old 10/26/2007, 10:13 PM
King of the white corals

heres some stink..........although I wasnt actually stupid enough to smell it.

Last week when doing some fall cleaning I found two 5 gallon buckets full of crushed coral from a predatory tank I used to have set up. They were 3 years old with screw on tops of course. I took them to the dump as is.

Could you imagine what that may have smelled like if you were to dump that out and take a whiff??

Ill add that this is the same bed of crushed coral that produced several worms over two feet long with 12 inchers common place. ewwwww.
Old 10/26/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

I left a shot glass of thawing mysis on my desk for a few days, All of the water had evaporated and the smell of rotting mysis filled my workstation for days, lingering under the piles of GNU/Linux documentation spilling of my laser jet. I wondered about the smell for days.
Old 10/26/2007, 11:07 PM
Got Nog?

Cleaning my H&S A200-1260 skimmer for the first time was one of the worst smells I ever encountered.

Finger Licking good
Old 10/27/2007, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

OK.. I'm Stomach is officially "TURNED" now DeltecRules ....

Should not have read this before breakfast......! (as Morning Coffee....... slowly.....coming... up .....and........... OUT!!!!!)
Old 10/27/2007, 09:58 AM
Geek

1. Dead 3" turbo snail.
2. ex-Sea Hare.
3. Dead Acro colony
4. Xenia.

What're you guys on about skimmate smells guuuuud! Thats how you know your skimmer is a'workin!

So one day I'm at work, and a guy brings in some big snails from his tank and would like to exchange them for smaller ones since they're knocking everything over. Okay, so they float for a while, we take care of him, acclimate the snails to the invert tank yada yada

Little while later business is picking up where I work and a little girl points out to a coworker "Look all the crabs are eating the big snail!"

Now ironically the invert tank is right next to a door you simply have to unlock to use.

Well, said coworker picks up snail to take him out of the Discovery channel scene and for some reason decides to use the store's main door to exit with the snail victim.

My boss at the time is talking to a customer with a young baby about calcium reactors or something to that effect and suddenly there is this smell.

Everyone is looking around like "he who smelt it dealt it"... Everyone starts eyeing the baby like there's poo-diaper going on in a serious funkdified way.

Everyone starts looking around in a severe state of panic thinking now would be a good time to evacuate the store!!

Apparently the coworker bringing the snail out the long way that took all of 5 seconds dripped just enough dead-snail-juice into the air and onto the floor we truly had to evacuate the store for a good 30 minutes.

You couldn't even stand next to the doors we opened up and left open because the smell was just blowing straight out of the store.

I'm really surprised a wild pack of dogs didn't come running straight for us to jump into the store and roll around in the snail juice since dogs like all things smelly but this was one of those putrid stenches you wouldn't even wish on your worst enemy EVAR.

I only feared going back to work the next day and wondering if I should bring one of those dust mask things to help filter out the smell. I could at least draw a funny little mouth on it and pretend I'm smiling instead of having my stomach turn somersalts
Old 10/27/2007, 11:22 AM
King of the Apes

Quote:
Originally posted by Conesus_Kid
Dead snails. Definitely dead snails.

no doubt.

I have never smelled anything worst, nor found anything else that can stick onto your skin so quickly.

it's pure evil.
Old 10/27/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Dead carpet anemones smell something beyond fierce!

125gal glass tank, dual overflows, RR
-120 lbs live sand
-150 lbs live rock
-Mud Refugium
-5 60" T5 HO
Old 10/27/2007, 01:24 PM
Moved On

ya hehe
Old 10/27/2007, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

As mentioned, cooking rock gets pretty disgusting and gets my vote.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TitansFan
Xenia or this black goodness gets my vote

You sure don't want to mistake this for your coffee pot in the morning....

LL
Old 10/29/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

I have lauphed my but off reading this now I have a unbearable urge to go smell my mag float.... Wonder how many of us actually really went and did give it a wiff

Dead snails without a doubt. As bad as you want to keep nutrients out of the tank when I pulled a rotting dead snail out and gave it the obligatory wiff for some reason I just dropped it back in for the worms or skimmer to take care of. UGGG that was Baaaaad.

Kinda a stinky story related to the tank... a stray cat decided to take a big ol runny poop in my open box of Instant ocean (has 4 50 gallon bags per box). At least my 3 very well litter trained cats blamed the stray cat hanging around . It was a hard decision to hose the 2 uponened 50 gallon baggs off and use them anyways it smelled so bad but I needed a water change and salt isn't cheap. I kept smelling something horriable in the garage and found it only when I went for my salt to mix my water up. I seriously almost lost my lunch .

Don't judge me because I can't spell. I use my brain space for more important things, like thinking of a fancy user name
Old 10/29/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

do you all usually leave the snails in or take them out. my mexican turbo died and my hermits havnt found him, i dont want him to pollute the tank if it will
Old 10/29/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

but phytoplankton and spirulina flakes smell like @$$ if you ask me.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:09 PM
Carpe Noctem

Worst smell ever was vacuuming a sandbed out and telling my 11 year old to go dump it out. He forgot and about 3 months later I went to go retrieve the reefing vac and found all that crud still in it, swarmed with flies... Yuck!