Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/29/2005, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

Grim Reefer,
Do you see more fluorescence with the Blueplus or more
output? as compared to the actinics..
I find myself needing to shift a little to the
neutral side and was thinking of adding two suns and two actinics.
My main drive lights "for a lack of better words" is one
BluePlus and two Aquablue 11Ks... I like a blue shift but I think
Im too blue right now. But, I like the fluorescence...

I would end up with,
Two 11Ks
Two Suns
Two Act
One BluePlus
Old 03/29/2005, 02:38 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

The actinic would fluoresce the corals but provide little visible light so swaping a blueplus with an actinic will decrease the amount of blue you see in the light.

If you are going to run 7 lamps I would run 2 Blueplus, 2 Suns or GE days, 2 Aquablue and 1 actinic. The sun or days willreally sap the blue look away from the light so I would run at least 2 bluepluses with them.
Old 03/29/2005, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

ok do the blues do the fluorescing? and if i got 6,000 would that be as good as the 6500 or is the 6000 closer to red. oh and if i had 3 blues would that be too much, do i need a 11k? if i do then i like what you said grim.

but if the blues do the fluorescing what i think that i would like would be the 3 blues, and the sun, right? this way the 2 blues will be on start up then the other 2 will come on later.

could a sun be replaced with a 11k?
Old 03/29/2005, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

ok- i got the blue plus to add to my actinic t-5 already in my fixture- my reactions: very blue compared to the actinic and very bright- so bright it seemed to overpower the purple look of the actinic- also- it stole away the power to flouresce the green pigments in coral-

the oranges, reds, and yellows however EXPLODED w/ color undre the blue+ - greens will flouresce, but no where near as well as the true actinic-
Old 03/29/2005, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

Grim,
Thanks, My Friend
Old 03/29/2005, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

so if i had an acintic i would be ok to fluoresce the green, so i would just get a blue, acintic, 11k, sun? that sound better. i want to really bring the color out on the corals, and i do have some green so i dont want to loose that. anyways this sound better?
Old 03/29/2005, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

i have been reading that 30 page thread on the T5, man that is long.
Old 03/29/2005, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

i guess that everyone is on there way home from work
Old 03/29/2005, 06:23 PM

Devil

With corals that fluoresce green actinic makes them light up better, thing in other colors like SPS seem to benefit from the Blueplus more. Blueplus will fluoresce the corals but because they provide so much visible light it also drowns out the fluorescing effect. In an dusk/dawn mode actinic will look better but with all lights on the Blueplus will be better. I personally did not even use a T5 actinic after about 6 months.
Old 03/29/2005, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

ok i think that i grasp the concept a little better now, i know that the best way that im going to learn is by trial and error, but i will have a better idea now. and i have made another change in the fitxure that i will buy, im going with this one

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=19

what do you think, now im thinking of getting 3 fitures so i can have 6 bulbs. you think that, that will be better?
Old 03/29/2005, 07:50 PM
Moved On

i was thinking the same and put them on different times so the lights will shut down and turn on with out shocking the fish and coral.
Old 03/29/2005, 07:59 PM

I wouldn't buy from aquatraders because of their sleazy business practices. They halfass pack things and when the lamps arrive broken they say because the lamps were "free" you have to pay to have new ones shipped.
Old 03/29/2005, 08:01 PM
Moved On

OH!!!!! that's no good.
Old 03/29/2005, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

yeah that isnt good. but i think that i will take the chance with them though. im willing to risk it, and if hey they break, well then i just buy new ones, what are you going to do. thanks for the input. do you know where i could buy the fiture from someone else though? thanks
Old 03/29/2005, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

ok, i just want to ask on here see if anyone knows, the dims are 24" X 4" X 1.5", now does that make it 1.5 wide or is it what i think that it is and thats how tall it is. im trying to figure this out. thanks
Old 03/29/2005, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

well i have called about 4 times, and i finally got through, i found out the info on the width. and i asked about if the bulbs break, he said that if they break there is no coverage since they are free, ouch. well i think that im going to go with this, im just not sure if i should get 3 fitures or 2? anyone have any ideas? will this fry my shrooms, chilly, toadstoal, rics? if i go with 3 the wattage will be about the same 144, i have 130 now in pc
Old 03/29/2005, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

NO NO NO- dont go w/ that! it is NOT a suitable t-5 lighting system- (as in the performance SUCKS compared to TEK lights b/c 1. the reflector is horrible 2. the bulbs are horrible (b/c they are free) 3. this is jebo brand - 4. your ordering from a risky place

i would only recommend this light IF you were gonna use it for actinic supplement or any kind of supplemental lighting-
Old 03/29/2005, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

wow you are really against this huh, they that bad. well if you say so then i guess i will stick with the new wave/teck lighting.
Old 03/29/2005, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

look- order it if you wish- but as a fellow reefer- i would only want to steer you into the right choice-

TEK/wave are much better- even though they are 5 times as expensive, they are worth it- especially if you plan on getting any high light corals/clams- (which you will- i can guarantee you'll have the urge! ) and you'll hate yourself for not getting the "best" t-5 light out there-

ive got a 150W MH w/ a finnex t-5 HO fixture- 2 39W fixture- its great for actinic lighting- but the reflector is very standard- and i would not rely on this light to provide the main light to my tank.
Old 03/29/2005, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

no no i appreciate your imput, im just saying that you had some very strong feelings against this light. the wave i was intersted in buying is not much different in price. http://www.altgarden.com/site/lights...tek-light.html see it at the bottom. this was what i was thinking about. if you think that is better than i will go with that.
Old 03/29/2005, 11:09 PM
IN DEEP

If you go T-5 you will need the indv. reflectors for each bulb just like grim said. That unit has 1 reflector for 2 bulbs. Dont do it, spend the money now on a good setup, you will not be sorry.
Old 03/29/2005, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

oh ok, so go with the other one then? allright i will order this i think tommrow im going to call and ask for the different bulbs they said they could get me.
Old 03/29/2005, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

haha now another question this one will be easy, how well do these work http://www.altgarden.com/site/lightm...s/sunlift.html
thanks
Old 03/29/2005, 11:57 PM

For all the help you have gotten here you are going to be the test case

It really does look like a slick system but I doubt if anyone has used them yet.
Old 03/30/2005, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

ok i will try , and i will report back here on them.