Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 10:57 AM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks for all the nice remarks! I do have a household zoo of sorts...there are still 3 other dogs, 2 cats, a snake and several birds I haven't subjected you all to! Yet.

And I fully agree that I have something feeding my algae! LOL...I suppose the upside it that it keeps the water nice and clean for the critters.

I feel so bad for the guy with the cracked tank! Weak spot in the glass? Or did a cat jump on it at a weird angle? Very strange given it's such a thick glass.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

there had to be something wrong with it from the get go like a small crack under the plastic from shipping!
Old 01/06/2008, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

I am wondering about temps, if he had a big temp swing. He mentioned he has the Nanotuners HQI upgrade, so I am wondering if it got really hot then cooled to quickly? You would think it would be tempered glass and not have to worry about that.

Poor guy
Old 01/06/2008, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

who knows what it could be? maybe it was something he did and hes not telling us the world will never know! lol
Old 01/06/2008, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

where do u guys with stock light put ur acan in the tank?
Old 01/06/2008, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

The guy I bought my acans from said to place them low to mid-tank.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

RSM Owner's Nightmare!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
I am wondering about temps, if he had a big temp swing. He mentioned he has the Nanotuners HQI upgrade, so I am wondering if it got really hot then cooled to quickly? You would think it would be tempered glass and not have to worry about that.
Poor guy
Y-DesygnGuy - IMHO... I believe your fellow Arizonian may have experienced a TORSIONAL strain of his RSM on the RSM stand! After all we are talking about almost 500 lbs.!
While discussing the engineering of my custom pedestal and table setup, it was STRONGLY suggested that I place a piece of 1/4-1/2" thick styrofoam sheet under the tank. The thought was that as the weight in the RSM increased with water, sand and rock.... the tank would compress and settle into the foam, preventing that kind of strain.
Has anyone else used foam under there RSM?

My gosh your tank is quickly becoming my model! Did you check out the link to the ceramic frag rocks I posted? When you have time, would you treat us to another movie of your tank.... with the naked clowns now swimming around?

Reefmack - I'm with you... If I ever had a catastrophic failure of my RSM like that, It would certainly end my reef keeping! You also mentioned the "SOAP DISH" chaeto holder for control of hair algae... Would you please share the link to the mod?

onebee - Welcome Mate! Wishing you only success with your new RSM!

Rue - I am officially renaming you Rue's Zoo!

donna53w - Gosh... I hope all goes well with your order since I am sure it is VERY COLD in Medicine Hat!

My frustration is nearly over! Two more days until I receive the RO/DI unit, install it in the laundry room and begin production for my RSM.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 01/06/2008, 02:41 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
who knows what it could be? maybe it was something he did and hes not telling us the world will never know! lol
We'll never know but I had the same thought. I just went back to that poor guy's thread. I noticed that it seem like the only place he has any coralline is on the plastic in back. I can't even keep up with the stuff and as you all may know it's not easy to remove, even with a steel scraper. I wonder if he put too much effort into keeping the glass clean, and maybe too much leaning on the tank while scraping the glass put too much stess on the glass after a while and caused a crack that finally gave way. In any case it's got to be a horrible position to be in.

NaCl+H2O Fish - No link to the soap dish mod - it's one I didn't record. What I posted the other day were the only ones I've recorded. A couple people had done the soap dish/cheato thing - maybe one has a pic they'll be kind enough to post it again. A pic would explain it all better than me describing it - it's very simple. Good luck on the 2 day countdown! It may take a day just to make the water to fill the tank. Your fun is close to beginning.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish -- Ahh very true torsion very well could of be the deciding factor. I would be calling Red Seamax myself first thing in the morning. Thank you very much for the compliment. I was going to shoot a new video this week when I tried out the new light fixture. So you could see the differences with the lighting. School starts back up next week so everyone will be out of the house during the day again, thank god! So I will have plenty of time in between projects to play with the tanks. I would much rather play with the tanks all day than work at the moment.

*edit* I did check out those frag plugs, you could put the big rock in the sand easily. When I get a few more frags going I might just buy that. I like everything clean and in its place, so even though the frag racks were simple and easy. I don't know how long i could handle them in the tank. To were the ceramic ones look almost natural, especially after a month or two in the tank. We have a frag auction coming up on the 19th, you can get some really nice pieces really cheep from them.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Incase you didn't want to do the soap dish method. I found this just now while I was surfing around http://www.aquariumguys.com/refugium.html
Not to much money and it would nice in the tank.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:19 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Heh...'Rue's Zoo'...it has a ring to it!

I've contacted the young guy that makes custom tanks...as soon as he's back to school (University) we'll see if my 'idea' for a frag tank is affordable...I think it's feasible...so I'll let you guys know...

Just came back from the reef store...went for water and to ask questions. Also bought a little algae booklet...and have requested the Julian Sprung one...

Apparently most, if not all, tangs will also eat algae...it doesn't have to be a foxface...although all will out grow the tank, so no matter what I get it will have to be rehomed down the road.

Also...the pom-pom crab order should be in within the next 2 weeks sometime...woohoo! I have 2 on hold...think I should get 4? They're very small so I don't think they'd add to the bioload at all. My thinking is if I get more...I actually stand a chance of seeing one on occaision.

Speaking of which. Finally am seeing the baby emerald crabs I bought a while ago!

AND heard back from the guy I bought those zoas from at Fragalot...2 of them have never done anything, while the Fire and Ice is fine and sporting about 4 polyps already. He's out of the country at the moment, but will replace the 2 that didn't make the trip. So I'll have new ones in a couple of weeks or so.

Dunno about the chaeto...although I'd definately have it in a refugium...don't think I want too much extra stuff in the display tank...

In the frag tank I wouldn't care...in fact I want to have a refugium there!

Last edited by Rue; 01/06/2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

well i just traded a frag of my peanut butter cup zoos for a mini carpet anemone i will post pics after it is aclimated and in the tank
Old 01/06/2008, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
Incase you didn't want to do the soap dish method. I found this just now while I was surfing around http://www.aquariumguys.com/refugium.html
Not to much money and it would nice in the tank.
Y-DesygnGuy - You DESERVE the compliments on your RSM!
Thanks for the link, great price.... Hmmm! Kind of wondering how that would look inside an RSM...? Back Wall? Side Wall?
Not a big fan of how the 'Frag Racks' look, even though they are functional! Maybe Reefmack's - left side, outside the tank refugium is a better solution? Since most of you are not using "the back left filter media chamber" in the manner that RSM designed it for.... ls their too little light for chaeto their?

As a recipient of a BS in Biology.... I am really enjoying (will probably develop a hate for) the balancing act of water chemistry and control of algae outbreaks..... Keeps us all on or toes and gives us something to talk about!

Rue - Well Rue's Zoo does at least Rhyme!

Reefmack - If anything can be said.... I have been patient and trying to learn from all of you! I expect a couple days of RO/DI production, like Brent F. is currently doing before I get things going!

Thanks to All -
Old 01/06/2008, 04:09 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Congrats! Looking forward to pics!
Old 01/06/2008, 06:14 PM
Genuine reef addict

Rue - the Foxface (a Rabbit fish) is supposedly a very hardy fish - one of the reasons I didn't think about a tang. I'm not sure if Tangs will eat Bryopsis as well as hair algae - possibly. About the Foxface:

"These fish are very hardy and disease resistant and make an excellent addition to a medium- to large-sized saltwater aquarium.

Rabbitfish are one of the few species that will eat problematic Bryopsis algae. Even though these fish are herbivores, use caution if they are to be housed in a reef aquarium, as they may nip at some corals and sessile invertebrates."

I've never seen mine nip at anything in my tank other than the Bryopsis & it loves Formula One flake, mysis and anything else I feed. Maybe the Foxface aren't as algae dependent as tangs? I've always considered the tangs to be too prone to ich, but I'm probably wrong.

NaCl+H2O Fish - I'd forgotten you had that biology degree. That makes at least 2 of us that got it and didn't do much with it! Maybe reefkeeping is what us older Bi Sci majors end up doing to "keep our feet wet" LOL.

Stephen - the carpet nem sounds like a nice trade!
Old 01/06/2008, 06:28 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Yes...that's what I found out when I did my bit of research - sure makes them sound good!

Part of the problem is that he doesn't get the very small fish in from his suppliers...by the time he gets them they're already 3" or better - and that's about the size I figure I'd have to think about rehoming!

Well, we'll see what happens. One good thing - if the fish outgrows my tank, he'll take it back.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish -- Thanks I am looking forward to seeing your tank when you set it up. Not sure how that in tank fuge would look honestly. I am all about the appearance of the tank so if it was tacky looking or didn't fit in, its out! I don't have the room in my tank but if I did, it would have to go along the back wall of the tank at the top. I have rock going up pretty high on the back so something like that would have to be custom built.

stephensturman -- Pics man Pics! What did you trade and to whom? Sounds like a great deal especially if you had lot of zoa's to frag and still have lots left!

*Off topic* what do you think of the new avatar?
Old 01/06/2008, 07:00 PM
Genuine reef addict

Rue - my Foxface was about 3", and hasn't noticeably gotten bigger in the few weeks I've had it. It was the smallest I could find at my lfs. Has to be your decision - like everything else no guarantees come with any critters that they'll do what you want! I really didn't want to add another fish, let alone one that would get too big, but in my case it was the only option left to keep from losing some corals to Bryopsis overgrowth.

Nice avatar Y-DesygnGuy - looks familiar!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Biology Degree Brothers!

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
NaCl+H2O Fish - I'd forgotten you had that biology degree. That makes at least 2 of us that got it and didn't do much with it! Maybe reefkeeping is what us older Bi Sci majors end up doing to "keep our feet wet" LOL.
Reefmack - Absolutely Correct Sir!

I have continued over all these years in my passion with the sciences! I enjoy 'keeping up' with the 'latest' topics because of the education I received...

You know... Animal Planet, NOVA, Discovery Channel... all that stuff!

In fact, I used a tank I was maintaining in 1975 as the subject for a major paper for an 'observational study' on the 'symbiotic relationship' between anemones and clowns... I believe it was for a course about 'Animal Behavior'????

Would a 'Hippo Tang' make a good 'algae grazer' like your Fox Face?

Thanks!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Stephensturman Love the avatar

Well I went to make some RO/DI water, and well it seems that I dont pay attention the the weather man. Temps in my area dropped into the teens for a couple of nights and busted one of my canister caps. Thats what i get for leaving it on the deck overnight. Anyway it can be replaced.

Im gonna try to post a pic so lets see how it goes. I have already tried and either i have the wrong extension or the file is to big.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dsc01132.zip (58.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 01/06/2008, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Well I dont think that is how I wanted it to happen. Gonna keep tring until I get it right.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

here is the min carpet anemone about the size of a quater for now!

Old 01/06/2008, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

i traded peanut butter cup zoas to random_ryan!
Old 01/06/2008, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Sweet! He has lots of nice stuff from what I hear.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

yes he does got most of what is in my tank from him! the acans and tricolors i got yesterday were from him same with the superman zoa, and green armys