Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/30/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

what's wrong with my colt (pictures)

yesterday something happend to my Colt Coral, it shrink and staing this way till today.. I just tuched it and something like smoke start caming out..

and 2 month ago it was like this

but for 2 month it really growed, so it was much bigger and it splitted
Old 03/30/2007, 06:43 PM
Minion

When was the last water change? Whats your parameters? Do you run carbon?

Colts are known to have issues with mushrooms (vicious chemical warfare), so maybe the mushrooms near the colt are causing this..

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 04/02/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

At times they may close up just because, it maybe to purge themselve or something like that.I to have had this happen and open back up after a few days. Do not fret yet.Wait a few days first. Of course check all parameters and I mean all.
Old 04/08/2007, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

looks like you have some phosphates in the tank that is growin on the back of your tank..i would use some phosphate sponge or some poly filters to help y our water quality out. check your temp also cuz if your tanks is too warm you also get cyno and might be the source of your colts stressing.
Old 04/09/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

looks like you have some bad algae (with bubbles)..prob cyno. WATER CHANGE WATER CHANGE and a splash of iodine.
Old 04/10/2007, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Other options might be the cabbage leather is too close . They are known for being highly noxious to other corals. Also check the body of the coral for any nudis . The ones that infect the colt coral are white and usually very small. Judging by the way all of them have closed up at the same time tho I would be partial to say the water parameters are out of whack somewhere or it's a chemical problem.
The smoke you refer to is the slime that it is sluething off it's body. It will do this to remove any unwanted foriegn bodies that may get on it or in response to another corals scent. I have had my colt for well over two years and it has done plenty of wierd things . They are pretty tough tho and you should be able to pull it through once you determine what the cause is.