Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2005, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Anyone doing a Hector or Rainfordi goby in a 20 gallon or less with success?

Anyone doing a hector or Rainfordi Goby?
Hello was wondering if anyone has one of these and what other fish you have in the tank with them.

I was thinking of getting one because I thought they were herbivores that eat hair algae. Turns out they like the microgranisms that reside in the hair algae like pods and such. Read that most starve within the first year in smaller tanks.

I have a 20 long connected to a 6 gallon sump, also have a aquaclear 300 refugium thats been up for about 2 weeks with some lone chaetomorpha.

Thanks.
Old 06/19/2005, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

I have had my Rainford's for about 3 months now in a 54. In my tank he has rounded out nicely (he was thin when I got him), so there is enough food to keep him in a 54 (I hope). I personally wouldnt want to keep on in something as small as a 20 - I would do 30 - 40 minimum, having seen how much he picks at everything all the time. I have never once seen him eat anything that I have fed the rest of the tank, so I wouldn't buy one assuming that you can feed it up if the tank is too small.

Dave
Old 06/19/2005, 05:41 PM
FishBoi

he should be fine, I had a rainford's goby in a 20g. I gave him back to the store when I upgraded.

perky
Old 06/19/2005, 08:14 PM
Hyper Vizsla Puppy

I had one before, they are great fish and eat algea too! It would do great in the 20gal.
Old 06/19/2005, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Well I scrapped that Idea. Found out that they eat the microorginisms that live in the hair algae, and wouldnt do to well with a 2 week old refugium and a six-line that would probably out compete the hectors. Oh well back to the drawing board. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
Old 06/21/2005, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Glad to hear you changed your mind. I had a ranfordi, I would not get one again unless I see it actually eat frozen food. Mine would only sift the sand and pick on algae. In short, it starved, RIP little one. Such a well behaved fish too.
Old 06/22/2005, 12:24 AM
Dazed and confused.......

Mine eats brine , doesnt know that theres hair algae in my tank! Hes a little pudge!!
Old 06/22/2005, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

I think these things are almost as much as a risk for not eating as Mandarins - you might get an angel, or you might get one like mine that will sit there as the food I put in the tank wafts past his little nose without him even looking. Like bot said, if there is any doubt, just make sure it will eat prepared food before it leaves the shop, unless you have a tank big enough to be sure it will have enough to pick at.

Dave
Old 06/22/2005, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

I got mine local too, next time I will ask to see them feeding. They are so docile, just have to add one in the future.