Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/07/2005, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

may not be very advanced....

I want to get a mushroom anemone, but i dont know if they are fish safe, i have 3 chromis and 'benny the blenny' all at an inch long. I know that elephant ear mushrooms can eat fish, but how do i tell the difference, the 1 i want is about 5 inches diameter and is green and kinda knobbly. ty for your help.
Old 04/11/2005, 07:04 AM
Premium Member

You are correct, "Elephant Ear" mushrooms can and will eat whole fish... They're usually the one's in the 5" size range, too. The safer one's are usually smaller. ID'ing the differences between them can be difficult, especially if they are very small. Try looking for pictures online, or in books, and use that to compare to what you see in the retailers tanks. Or... order online from a reputable dealer. Dunno what's available over the pond, but here in the US, that's often the best route to finding exactly what you want (albeit pricey and time consuming, at times).

- Mac
Old 04/11/2005, 01:50 PM
Slave to Lower Life Forms

A quick way to avoid a potential elephant ear is stay away from fuzzy shrooms unless they can be positively ID'd. You should be able to go for any type that is smooth and colorful for starters until you get better at telling what you're looking at.